Semi-Permanent color on top of Permanent color

lisana

I am growing out a permanent dye job that is medium golden brown. My real color is black and i want to use a semi-permanent black over the permanent color. Has anyone here done this before and what were your results. Is there a brand that you recommend? thanks ladies

Rei

I've done that... my hair was bleached a light gold, and I dyed it over recently with blue/black. It came out fine in terms of shine and texture, but then I started shedding like crazy. Still not sure if it was the effect of the dye or if its the season

After hearing that, I'm sure you don't want to use the dye that I used :grin:

Allandra

I've applied a rinse on top of permanent color (that was a few weeks old). I didn't have any ill effects from it. I did this because I didn't want to continue getting permanent color 'touch ups'. IMO, it's so easy to just do a rinse and get all of my hair strands than to touch up with permanent color.

Last edited:

Eisani

It's usually better for your hair seeing as how the semi only coats the hair shaft, unlike permanent which penetrates. A few years back I cellophaned over blonde highlights and haven't looked back. My hair has been healthier ever since.

lisana

Thanks for the quick response ladies :)

Allandra, I have about 4-5 inches of my real hair (black) and about 4 inches of permanent color. Should I add the rinse to all of my hair or just aim for the permanent color?

Rei, what was the brand that you used?

thanks, ladies :)

lisana

It's usually better for your hair seeing as how the semi only coats the hair shaft, unlike permanent which penetrates. A few years back I cellophaned over blonde highlights and haven't looked back. My hair has been healthier ever since.

Thanks Eisani

I read on some previous threads, that if you use heat with the semi, then it become more permanent, i guess it's supposed to stain the hair the way heat sets a stain in clothing. Did you use heat with the cellophane?

thanks

Allandra

Thanks for the quick response ladies :)

Allandra, I have about 4-5 inches of my real hair (black) and about 4 inches of permanent color. Should I add the rinse to all of my hair or just aim for the permanent color?

Rei, what was the brand that you used?

thanks, ladies :)
When I did this, I did all of my hair. I wouldn't be good at trying to do the new growth only.

Eisani

Thanks Eisani

I read on some previous threads, that if you use heat with the semi, then it become more permanent, i guess it's supposed to stain the hair the way heat sets a stain in clothing. Did you use heat with the cellophane?

thanks

I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes then wait another 45 minutes before rinsing out. When I used Sebastian Colourshines, I just sat under the dryer for 30 minutes then rinsed. Heating does make the color last longer.

lisana

I am going to dye my hair either this weekend or the next. I'm leaning towards the Clairol Beautiful in Black. Hopefully, it will all go well, thanks for answering my questions, ladies. :)

Allandra

I am going to dye my hair either this weekend or the next. I'm leaning towards the Clairol Beautiful in Black. Hopefully, it will all go well, thanks for answering my questions, ladies. :)
This comes in permanent and in a rinse. Which one are you going to use?

lisana

This comes in permanent and in a rinse. Which one are you going to use?

Oh, I didn't know this, I thought it was semi-permanent only. I was leaning towards semi because I've heard that semi tends to be permanent on previously colored hair. Do you know if this is true? What do you recommend I use? Also, I've been thinking about Clairol Natural Instincts. I read on another thread that the Midnight color is a semi-permanent that acts like a permanent. So I'm going back and forth between these two.

Thanks for the help :)

stargazer613

Oh, I didn't know this, I thought it was semi-permanent only. I was leaning towards semi because I've heard that semi tends to be permanent on previously colored hair. Do you know if this is true? What do you recommend I use? Also, I've been thinking about Clairol Natural Instincts. I read on another thread that the Midnight color is a semi-permanent that acts like a permanent. So I'm going back and forth between these two.

Thanks for the help :)

You'll love it!!! It's the only semi-permanent brand/hair dye that I've been using for years. It's very gentle and the Midnight color always makes my hair look healthier. And the conditioner that comes in the box is wonderful. I use this dye maybe 2-3 times a year (for touch ups).

Last edited:

sareca

When I was younger I'd highlight my hair with blonde so I could put those "washes out in 12 washes" temp dyes over it. I had a different color hair every 2 weeks.

lisana

You'll love it!!! It's the only semi-permanent brand/hair dye that I've been using for years. It's very gentle and the Midnight color always makes my hair look healthier. And the conditioner that comes in the box is wonderful. I use this dye maybe 2-3 times a year (for touch ups).

oooh! You really are making the Natural Instincts sound really good! Your hair looks so lovely, the color is so rich and vibrant. :yep: Now, at first I was going to try and just cover the part of my hair that was already dyed but then I may have 1/2 a head of really dark, vibrant hair and the other half, not so much. I guess I should just dye the entire head.

stargazer613

oooh! You really are making the Natural Instincts sound really good! Your hair looks so lovely, the color is so rich and vibrant. :yep: Now, at first I was going to try and just cover the part of my hair that was already dyed but then I may have 1/2 a head of really dark, vibrant hair and the other half, not so much. I guess I should just dye the entire head.

awww, thank you Lisana!!! :) I hope you like it, my advice would be to do a really good deep conditioning (and follow up deep conditioning treatments) since you are dying over permanent color. Hope it turns out nice for you!!! :)