Self-Texturizers/Texlaxers: Question?

Robin41

I've been natural for almost two years now and loving it but I have to say, the spirals in my type 4-something hair get tighter and tighter as my hair gets longer. The shrinkage factor is unbelievable and I'm seriously considering a texturizer to help loosen the curl and regain some length.

Can anyone give me any pros/cons on doing it myself as opposed to letting my stylist do it? I guess I'm really nervous about over-processing because I definitely want to keep my curls, just loosen them up a bit. Suggestions on brands, technique, etc. would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

pros of self texlaxing: You control how curly or straight you want it. Its cheaper.

cons of self relaxing: If you dont do it right you'll end up either totally relaxed or underprocessed.

I love the freedom of self texlaxing and its easier than i looks.
some key points I used:
* mix relaxer ( i used kids organic for coarse hair) with 1/4 cp of oil.
*stretch your curls with your hands by tugging your hair and smoothing lightly with hands.
* rinse relaxer out when it looks slightly looser than what u want because when you rinse and dry your hair it will look curlier than it did with the relaxer on.
* dont spend tons of time applying the relaxer or some parts will end up more processed than others.

Back