Self relaxers...How do you base?

Tafa01

For all the self relaxers, how do you apply the base? and what do you use? vaseline?
I never based before when I self relaxed. Now I want to, but I am affraid to get vaseline on my NG and end up with underprocessed hair.
Do you part the hair (at this point it is hard to do so for me) and apply the base with your fingers?
Thanks!

shunemite

I use the $1 grease from the dollar store. I part my hair and put it on my scalp with my fingers. Some does get on the NG. It does take longer for the relaxer to process, but I don't have underprocessed hair since I use my fingers to smooth the relaxer with no gloves. If you want a base out of the bottle, Affirm sells one that's a thick liquid where you can just turn the bottle upside down and squeeze it onto your scalp.

Adaoba2012

hello! I base with either vaseline or the blue magic grease. I've found that blue magic actually works better at protecting my scalp and it doesn't leave my hair underprocessed. I part my hair into four sections and work through each section parting and applying with my fingers...HTH!

sqzbly1908

Last time I relaxed I used the base by Motions that comes in a bottle which was great as it made it real easy to apply just my scalp but I have used whatever grease I am using on my daughter's hair or Vaseline - I apply it to my scalp and some does get on my NG but I have not had any problems with the relaxer not processing

HTH

Tafa01

Thanks Shunemite. The dollar store grease is a great idea. I can't spend much $$$ on my hair right now . I have a bottle at home...I could put stuff in it and squeeze it on my scalp?
Would blue magic work? I still have half a jar I have not thrown away when I started my HHJ.

Tafa01

hello! I base with either vaseline or the blue magic grease. I've found that blue magic actually works better at protecting my scalp and it doesn't leave my hair underprocessed. I part my hair into four sections and work through each section parting and applying with my fingers...HTH!
Cool!! I was asking about that in my previous post!! I have some at home. I am glad i did not throw it away :grin:
Thanks for the tip.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base and I base forehead, ears, nape and hairline.:yep:

It's about $7 Bucks for 16oz and it lasts a long time.:yep:

sheba1

I Use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base and I base forehead, ears, nape and hairline.:yep:

It's about $7 Bucks for 16oz and it lasts a long time.:yep:

Hey Sis! :wiggle:

I'll look for any opportunity to post a link to BronzeG's youtube but she actually does talk about using Summit to base her scalp here in her relaxer update thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcn-wFBqMBo&feature=channel_page

That way I'm not posting senslessly :)

But this is her hair journey here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDB-_-qXzKE

Now that is just senseless posting right there :blush3: