Secret to a Perfect Maxiglide!

caligirl

Ok ladies, I just discovered this trick today while using my maxiglide.
Disclaimer: I have thick, coarse 4a natural hair with relaxed ends.

First, blowdry hair in sections with a denman d3 brush. Then set the maxiglide on 6. Start at the nape and use a rattail comb to make a horizontal part about 1/2 inch thick. Continue to work your way up from the nape after you complete each horizontal section.
The secret is how you hold the maxiglide. Hold it so that the teeth parts face down. Grab the section you are working on at the ends and hold firmly. Pull the maxiglide down the section, but only let the top part with the teeth touch the hair. Pretend like the bottom plate doesn't even exist. One pass does the trick!

Eiano

Cool! Sounds like a press from the salon!!
Will try when the braids come out again, this may save me from EVER having to go to the salon again.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Yes! I'm liking this technique. However, I use coconut oil and marcel wax so for me to be grabbing some hot hair I'll need to use gloves...THAT'S it! I can use those gloves you bath with..you know the ones you can scrub your body with.

Thanks for sharing..

lmjenk67

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it tomorrow when I straighten out my ng. I've been using it with the teeth plate facing up and sometimes I press the two plates together so I guess that why I've had some loose hairs end up in the teeth.

*Happily Me*

caligirl said:
Ok ladies, I just discovered this trick today while using my maxiglide.
Disclaimer: I have thick, coarse 4a natural hair with relaxed ends.

First, blowdry hair in sections with a denman d3 brush. Then set the maxiglide on 6. Start at the nape and use a rattail comb to make a horizontal part about 1/2 inch thick. Continue to work your way up from the nape after you complete each horizontal section.
The secret is how you hold the maxiglide. Hold it so that the teeth parts face down. Grab the section you are working on at the ends and hold firmly. Pull the maxiglide down the section, but only let the top part with the teeth touch the hair. Pretend like the bottom plate doesn't even exist. One pass does the trick!

Very true. But i can't use the teeth plate. It's doesn't glide through and it rips my hair.

O, and i use setting 4 - 5

kitten73

My daughter is natural an I use the Maxi Glide on her. Someone else mentioned they use Coconut oil. I have some %100 refined at home that I don't like because it has no smell (we are discussing this in a nother thread now) and it doesn't do my daughters hair much good when using it on the scalp either. How do you use the coconut oil? do you melt it first or do you take a little in your hand and rub it on the section your about to "glide"?

churchie

This sounds like a good idea. As a matter of fact I was looking at the infomercial the other day and noticed that most of the women held the iron with the steam button facing down, and I hold it with the button facing up. I was wondering if it really mattered. So you have just confirmed this for me. Next time that's how I'll work it and will tell how it goes. Thanks.

kitten73

I use it on Deja with the teeth up too and man the hairs that are left in the teeth! It scares me but I didn't think it would work using it teeth down, I have to try that. I notice if you don't hold the Glide with tight at the end as you would with a regular flat iron that helps to not put the hair. It takes a little practice though. I am always inclined to grab that other end when I pull it down.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
kitten73 said:
My daughter is natural an I use the Maxi Glide on her. Someone else mentioned they use Coconut oil. I have some %100 refined at home that I don't like because it has no smell (we are discussing this in a nother thread now) and it doesn't do my daughters hair much good when using it on the scalp either. How do you use the coconut oil? do you melt it first or do you take a little in your hand and rub it on the section your about to "glide"?
That was me.

I just take a dab and smooth it onto the hair. Is yours hard? If so, melt some then smooth a little on. It gets real hot like grease and can burn. That's why I mentioned wearing gloves or something.

FIRESTARTER

DSylla said:
Very true. But i can't use the teeth plate. It's doesn't glide through and it rips my hair.

O, and i use setting 4 - 5

Yeah, I use 4. I JUST fininshed maxigliding and I touched the plate:eek: . If 4 can melt my finger pad like it did LOL, next time im using 2!:lol:

caligirl

MissTrina said:
Yeah, I use 4. I JUST fininshed maxigliding and I touched the plate:eek: . If 4 can melt my finger pad like it did LOL, next time im using 2!:lol:

Ooh, I'm sorry you burnt yourself. I figure one pass on 6 is better than multiple passes on a lower setting. The iron did really seem to glide. No pulling or snapping at all. But you have to hold the ends together firmly as you move the iron down the hair.