Scalp Soreness = Growth Spurts?

Isis

It's just beginning to subside now but my scalp was very tender and sore for the past two weeks!
This time, I know it's not the MSM or biotin because I'm only taking 1000 mg per day of each and I've forgotten to take them on occasion this past month. The only thing I've done differently lately was the twice/day scalp massages and I've washed my hair every two days (instead of 3) in the last two weeks.

Is anyone else having scalp soreness not due to MSM? Do you think these are growth spurts?

WaterMoccasin

I was wondering the same thing...my scalp was sore for a few weeks recently.
in fact i remember a thread mentioning the same thing- the title was something like "ouch, ouch, ouch....yes!"

ChasingBliss

That's funny, when this happens to me, I never associate it with growth. In fact, I never really thought about why it happens. How do people know that it's a growth spurt, I mean how do you measure something like that? Does a person's hair start growing really fast after the pain or something?

inthestars

Yes, they are growth spurts..if you ever go natural, get ready for real pain when your hair is growing, your head will THROB!!

happylocks

U better be right Star
cause I have had sore scalp but with massages it seems less so, only when I am touching or massaging, Is anyones hair itchying alot

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
That's funny, when this happens to me, I never associate it with growth. In fact, I never really thought about why it happens. How do people know that it's a growth spurt, I mean how do you measure something like that? Does a person's hair start growing really fast after the pain or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the hair is growing fast during the pain. It's weird but when started with the MSM and Biotin (in larger dose than now), my soreness was intense just like recently and my new growth seemed longer soon after. It was like the pain was due to the passing of the "humps" of the new growth.

GodMadeMePretty

I think it does have something to do with the natural hair. I have a friend who is natural who is tenderheaded. My stepdaughter before she got a perm couldn't stand for her scalp to be touched. It was tender all the time. Now she says that she needs a retouch because her scalp is sore, but since I'm the one who decides when she needs a retouch, I told her that she needs to massage it and the pain will eventually subside or lessen.

ElizaBlue

I think it is associated with growth, but more so increased density. What I find is that the sore spot when investigated further has multiple hairs coming out of one hole. If and when I pull the hairs out(cause that's just what I do) I find one of the hairs is bent either in a crooked position around the others or the hair just looks odd. Once I pull it out the pain goes away. Some have associated this with a nervous condition called Trichonomis(sp) but in my case I don't do it when I''m nervous only when I get the sores spot which can feel like someone is sticking a hot needle in your scalp every time you barely touch it. I have noticed a dramatic increase in soreness since I started using Surge two weeks ago. The only thing I know besides pulling that one or two hairs out is deep massages, but if the pain is intense, that first few minutes, or times you try to massage will be excruciating.

Netta1

I wear my hair natural, but I have not noticed my scalp being sore-due to growth. I don't think that it is a good thing for a persons scalp to be sore either. My scalp does not get tender unless I rake though my hair (while dry) with a comb-which is something that I don't do.

cutebajangirl

See the funny thing is my boyfriend said the same thing. His scalp gets sore and he knows it is gonna be time to get a haircut. I was like what are you talking about? Then he was like sometime he has to pull the hair out of certain parts to get the pain to stop. So one night he showed me a painful spot and sure enough there were two hairs coming out of the follicle. So I pulled them out and he felt a lot better.

debyjay

Oh yes my scalp got sore as soon as the Surge kicked in. I have to touch-up at 5 weeks instead of the usual 8. I have a ton of thick new hair coming in real fast it's like a whole lil TWA under my perm. I'm loving it though.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
ElizaBlue said:
I think it is associated with growth, but more so increased density. What I find is that the sore spot when investigated further has multiple hairs coming out of one hole. If and when I pull the hairs out(cause that's just what I do) I find one of the hairs is bent either in a crooked position around the others or the hair just looks odd. Once I pull it out the pain goes away. Some have associated this with a nervous condition called Trichonomis(sp) but in my case I don't do it when I''m nervous only when I get the sores spot which can feel like someone is sticking a hot needle in your scalp every time you barely touch it. I have noticed a dramatic increase in soreness since I started using Surge two weeks ago. The only thing I know besides pulling that one or two hairs out is deep massages, but if the pain is intense, that first few minutes, or times you try to massage will be excruciating.

[/ QUOTE ]

O....MY....GAWD....

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DID THIS!?!?!?!?!?

ElizaBlue

My kids and my boyfriend and at the time my ex-husband. Girl I will enlist anyone's help when my head is on fire like that.

hondahoney007

I'm experiencing painful itchy scalp along with hair breakage. I just recently started using Surge also. When I comb my hair clumps of hair would come out. At first I thought it was just shedding but the hair would just keep coming out in the comb. I was going to try the Garlic shampoo that I read about on another thread but since I had itchiness and breakage I decided to wash my hair with Neutrogena T-gel shampoo(original formula) and conditioner. So far so good. I think I might have to trade my Surge.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I can certainly relate to you ladies. I had some overprocessing on the left side of my head and I have tried to give special attention to this part of my scalp. Now it is throbbing on just that side. I hope the hair is finally catching up.

jellynote

[ QUOTE ]
happylocks said:
U better be right Star
cause I have had sore scalp but with massages it seems less so, only when I am touching or massaging, Is anyones hair itchying alot

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was just me, but my scalp has been itching alot. I know some of it is because I go to the gym 5 days a week, but I thought it was a growth spurt because my hair is growing. I did up my biotin and msm so that could be it too.
Glad it's not just me.

J

JenniferMD

I'm on my second week of vitamins and just yesterday my hair was very sensitive and itchy so hopefully I'll see some difference in length soon.

CocoaCure

Wow! I've never heard of the hair pulling technique to lesson the pain. I've never had that issue. I occasionally notice a sore scalp and I always thought it was growth because of the strange way it would feel! It would almost feel like something trying to break through my scalp so I figured it must be new hair!! Interesting post! I never stop learning new and interesting things on this wonderful site!!