scalp massaging. = shedding?

lovegan

Hi everyone,

I just started up with my scalp massages again, and I've noticed shedding. I know this is normal for the most part, but I'm worried I'm roughing up my scalp too much....

I don't use my nails (i have very short, filed nails), I don't apply much pressure, and I use olive oil. Should I chill on the massages, or is shedding pretty normal?

thanks a million!

It~Can~Grow

That's what they keep telling me :ohwell:

I'm massaging every night and I experience shedding, but since I'm not combing my hair..I'm chalking it up to this is my normal shedding and if I was combing daily I'd have more.:yep:

Last edited:

amwcah

Hi everyone,

I just started up with my scalp massages again, and I've noticed shedding. I know this is normal for the most part, but I'm worried I'm roughing up my scalp too much....

I don't use my nails (i have very short, filed nails), I don't apply much pressure, and I use olive oil. Should I chill on the massages, or is shedding pretty normal?

thanks a million!

Do you comb? If so, do you experience shedding when you comb as well?

Not that this has anything to do with your shedding, but I would use a much lighter oil that olive oil to massage with.

Candy_C

Not that this has anything to do with your shedding, but I would use a much lighter oil that olive oil to massage with.

i think the olive oil is actually the problem

use a lighter oil

coconutt oil, sesame, or almond..even jojoba

Miss*Tress

Along with using a lighter oil, I recommend that you massage by moving the skin of your scalp rather than rubbing your fingers over your scalp.

lovegan

That's what they keep telling me :ohwell:

I'm massaging every night and I experience shedding, but since I'm not combing my hair..I'm chalking it up to this is my normal shedding and if I was combing daily I'd have more.:yep:

:yawn: I'm doing a low-manip thing too; i only comb once a week and comb with my fingers daily if i need to...so maybe that's what it is?

lovegan

hmm, yeah maybe that's it. Olive oil is great for my ends; it leaves them super soft and holds in my moisture. but i also read it was good for "stimulating hair growth."

i think someone suggested jojaba oil?

lovegan

i don't really comb much at all, maybe once a week. my hair is too weak right now to handle too much detangling. i'm working on getting it stronger.

Olive oil is great for my ends; it leaves them super soft and holds in my moisture. but i also read it was good for "stimulating hair growth."

i think someone suggested jojaba oil?

almondjoi85

I massage my scalp nightly and I have not noticed any increased shedding from it. I use sweetcashews scalp oil and I love it.

fancypants007

Scalp massages are good for the hair so I don't think that scalp massages itself cause the shedding, but I think I was irritating my scalp when I was scratching it for 10 minutes twice a week and I started noticing this increased shedding. I'm using this gadget called the Mag Gro which is supposed to increase blood flow to the scalp and you use it once or twice a day for 30-45 seconds and I use it everyday. I can handle this as a scalp massage but I usually do it for about 1-2 minutes and let me tell you, you can feel it. My whole scalp is tingling for what seems like a long time. I will post a thread on Monday after i wash my hair over the weekend to see if I have more shedding than usual. But personally, I love scalp massages and believe that the increase blood flow contributes to hair health/growth.