Can someone help me figure this out...

Summer_Rain

For two or three days I forgot to mosturize. I didn't use my NTM or my homemade concoction in the spritz bottle. I kept my hair&scalp oiled...but no moisture, suprisingly my hair felt so much better and I lost at most 5 hairs a day.

I moisturize last nite, wake up this morning - and I'm shedding left and right - losing crazy hairs.

I'm not worried about the shedding, because I understand that it's a normal part of the hairgrowth cycle. However as I looked back I realize that this is a pattern (less moisture less shedding...more moisture more shedding).

I certainly wont stop moisturizing totally, but could I be doing something wrong?

I tried NTM but stopped because I felt that it was making my hair shed. Also, it gave my hair a strange coating. I haven't found another moisturizer yet that I really like.

Sometimes I find that to much moisture makes my hair really fragile. I think you have to find the perfect balance based on your hair type. I very rarely moisturize because if just makes my hair feel mushy and coated.

Very good point thats I never thought about. I just figured that moisture was the hands down way to go - no questions asked. I tend to saturate my ends with moisture then pull it all back into a loose pony and cover with my scarf. so i guess maybe i need to lighten up a bit

joyous said:
Sometimes I find that to much moisture makes my hair really fragile. I think you have to find the perfect balance based on your hair type. I very rarely moisturize because if just makes my hair feel mushy and coated.
Very well said. I agree.:)

I find that I shed more hair when I moisturize too but I think this is due to my method. I rub the moisturizer in my palms and then apply to a section of hair with one palm on the top and on the underside of the section moving from root to end. I think that sometimes I am moving from roots to ends harshly and so I am tugging at my hair in the process causing shedding/breakage. I guess I have to be more gentle!

I don't need to moisturize daily. My leave-in holds it down for the most part. I normally need to moisturize on the 2nd or 3rd day after shampooing, but I shampoo every 3-4 days anyway so the cycle starts all over.

Honestly, if I use a less moisturizing leave in for whatever reason, I find that I need to moisturize more post shampoo days.

I believe it's what you use that makes a difference.

HoneyDew said:
I don't need to moisturize daily. My leave-in holds it down for the most part. I normally need to moisturize on the 2nd or 3rd day after shampooing, but I shampoo every 3-4 days anyway so the cycle starts all over.

Honestly, if I use a less moisturizing leave in for whatever reason, I find that I need to moisturize more post shampoo days.

I believe it's what you use that makes a difference.

I'm noticing this, too. I use liberal amounts of leave-in, and my hair stays pretty moisturized for the next few days. I still moisturize anyway every night, but honestly, I don't think I need to. It's just a habit! Maybe I'll just do a spritz of water instead of slathering on another product....

i thought moisturizing would help to improve the health of my hair but i too am shedding all over the place. i just got a trim and have been bunning and doing the baggie method and when i blew dried and flat ironed my hair today, the ends look a mess!!:eek: they look dry, brittle, just horrible!!:mad: i'm going back to applying a silcione product to my hair daily or every other day. i guess my hair likes that:)

honeybadgirl said:
i thought moisturizing would help to improve the health of my hair but i too am shedding all over the place. i just got a trim and have been bunning and doing the baggie method and when i blew dried and flat ironed my hair today, the ends look a mess!!:eek: they look dry, brittle, just horrible!!:mad: i'm going back to applying a silcione product to my hair daily or every other day. i guess my hair likes that:)
As soon as I laid off all the direct heat (blowdrying and flat-ironing) my ends looked so much better. They are no longer dry and brittle.

thanks but thats just it, i havent been using them. i stopped altogether. while i was moisturizing i noticed hairs coming out when i put my fingers thru my hair or squeezed my ponytail but like when i got the trim my hair was str8 from the hair stylist doing it so i just kept it in a ponytail with the phony bun on it and my hair was fine, wonderful, beautiful!:) after a week i washed it and started moisturizing and it started again, the shedding:mad: so here i am 2 wks after the trim and i look like i need another trim....its so frustrating:confused:

Back