salicylic acid on scalp?

laketta

I went to the beauty supply store and I came across a new version of sulfur 8 called sulfur 8 fresh hair and scalp conditioner cooling formula. The active ingredient is salicylic acid 2%. My thought was the salicylic acid was a main ingredient for acne medicine and perhaps a disinfectant of some kind. Could using something like this be an alternative to MN which is an disinfectant? The smell is nice. MN was a miracle for my dandruff and growth but that gets very expensive. This was only 6 dollars at the beauty supply place.

Has anyone used salicylic acid on their scalp and what kind of results have you seen?

edited to add: here is a link of what it looks like

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/sul010.html

Last edited:

Solitude

My mom used Sulphur 8 on my scalp when I was younger and it helped my dandruff somewhat & I think it improved my hair growth. I still keep it in my hair stash, but I rarely use it due to the smell. It's worth a try for the price.

Oh, and one of my mom's bff's uses a mixture of Sulphur 8 and Dax on her scalp. She has WL hair & swears that the Supher helps with her growth, but she keeps her hair french-braided all the time so that may be the reason for the growth over many years.

discobiscuits

i don't use salicylic acid intentionally on my scalp for any real purpose, however, if one uses Sea Breeze to cleanse their scalp (a lot of people do this when they have braids, corn rows, or locs) it has salicylic acid in it. It is for acne but what it does is gently sloughs off dead skin, it is like a mild peel.

gymfreak336

Salicyclic acid helps speed cell turnover, ridding the skin of buildup, and helping keep pores clear. It isn't really anti-mircobial or anti-bacterial. It also is a mild anti-inflammatory.

Salicylic acid mixed with sulphur is used by dermatologists directly on the scalp to get rid of lots of flaky build up in conditions such as seborrhoeic dermatitis. It just enhances cell turnover as gymfreak said. It is not a disinfectant. Lots of dandruff shampoos have it as their main ingredient. Some conditioners have the salt version of it present. It can aid with making the hair feel soft. So go ahead and try it.

eshille

Salicyclic acid helps speed cell turnover, ridding the skin of buildup, and helping keep pores clear. It isn't really anti-mircobial or anti-bacterial. It also is a mild anti-inflammatory.

Yep....here's a thought....

Aloe vera contains salicylic acid which is an aspirin-like compound with anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-bacterial properties. It has anti-pyretic properties for reducing fevers. Other constituents of Aloe vera would include prostaglandins, tannins, magnesium lactate, resins, mannins, proteins such as lectins, monosulfonic acid and gibberlin.

Another constituent of Aloe vera includes saponins. These are soapy substances from the gel that is capable of cleansing and having antiseptic properties. The saponins perform strongly as anti-microbial against bacteria, viruses, fungi, and yeasts.51 The plant sterols or phyto-steroids in Aloe vera include Cholesterol, Campesterol, Lupeol, and B (Beta sign) Sitosterol.52 The plant steroids have fatty acids in them that have antiseptic, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.

http://www.herballegacy.com/Baldwin_Chemical.html

planters

Great thread. I just started reading about this online and I think I want to try this. Has anyone tried this? how will it affect the strands?

PlanetCybertron

Has anyone used salicylic acid on their scalp and what kind of results have you seen?

Since I’m a bit of a raggamuffin, I once used some acne medication on my scalp. Think it was Neutrogena or some other line, but there was a clear-like gel that was the second step, which had salicylic acid, so I just put some of it in a spray bottle with water and spritzed my scalp. Helped with the itchies. Not much else though.

Whatever manufacturers formulate alongside the salicylic acid to either keep it stable or preserve it, may or may not make up the total amount of product. I say this because your results may or may not depend on that.

Since this was an acne medication I was using it wasn’t inherently moisturizing. So I just put a moisturizer on my strands and sealed or whatever else I was usually doing at that time. If you do use something meant for acne on your hair, it may or may not have a tendency to build up. The brand I used built up each day of application. But rinsed out fairly when I washed.

Most things concerning hair products that contain salycylic acid are in the form of shampoos. But if they’re formulating them with sulfates it defeats the purpose in my opinion. Which was the main reason I was prompted to use stuff for ones face.