I've been prescribed a shampoo to use every other day

meka

And it is drying the heck out of my hair!!!! It is definately working on my scalp but my hair is dry as heck. It is called Salex, it is a 6% salicylic acid shampoo. Do I need to dc everytime I use this shampoo? More protective styles? Or should I get some braids?

Jas123

The Star of a Story
you may want to try pre-pooing to protect your hair from the harsh shampoo & also when shampooing apply shampoo to scalp only & focus on cleansing scalp only and definitely follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner (DCing)

NaturalPath

jas123 gave you lots of good advice.

I would suggest putting conditioner on your hair before shampooing it. Maybe you can try pouring the shampoo into an applicator bottle that way you will be able to concentrate only on your scalp.

LynnieB

Have an applicator bottle? Massage scalp with fingertips than rinse. That way you can keep the majority of the poo on your scalp instead of the entire length of your hair.

ETA: Also like the suggestion to pre-treat your hair with oil or con. I bet if you do that then use an app. bottle it'd solve most of the problem.

LynnieB

jas123 gave you lots of good advice.

I would suggest putting conditioner on your hair before shampooing it. Maybe you can try pouring the shampoo into an applicator bottle that way you will be able to concentrate only on your scalp.

Get outta my head lady! :lachen:

Fhrizzball

also perhaps before you rinse it out layer the conditioner over the shampoo so your hair won't feel so stripped and squeaky. Even a light cowash conditioner will do for that.

Lady S

Does your doctor have any suggestions for a substitute? Coal tar (admittedly it smells like death & farts)? Ketoconazole? Salicylic shampoo is notorious for weakening hair.

I agree with the other posters. Using a nozzle bottle to put the shampoo directly to your scalp and maybe lathering your hair on conditioner and/or oil prior to washing it.