Reveiw- Sebastian Colourshines

free2bme

Based on the glowing remarks Tracy gave Colourshines. I decided to give it a go. Two weeks ago (a week after my last touch-up) I bought colorshines in coffeebean, a rich chocolate brown. My natural color is off black (wished it was jet black).

Application : It was a bit messy and I could only find the left hand of my latex gloves!! So it stained my hands and splashed a litle in the bathroom but it came off with out a problem.

The Results:: My hair came out a rich vibrant black with a bit more body. It's also a tad more reflective with more sheen. Nothing drastic. a few friends have commented that my hair looks "richer".

Value: I recommend the Colourshines over the jazzy. The colourshines has at leat 4-5 applications and I paid $20 for it. Tha jazzy is one application for about $6.

All in all two thumbs way up!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks Tracy

I only have one question how often should you give your hair a rinse? After every touch up??

Hey F2B...

Okay you can definitely apply the colorshines every 4 weeks with no incident. I do them with every touch up (which I get between 8 and 14 weeks apart) but I usally do a Sebastian application in the middle somewhere too!

But I gotta ask, cuz I gotta know, cuz your hair should be BLINGING - not just a tad reflective with more sheen...nothing drastic /images/graemlins/tongue.gif there should be a HIGH OCTANE SHINE GIRL!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now - I'm glad you liked it - but I wonder if you left it on long enough? Or if you used enough...

Or I wonder if this product as is often the case responds differently on your hair than mine?

I just know no one who hasn't had an unbelievable shine with this stuff....don't get me wrong I'm not saying you don't know what you're doin' or anything /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just want to make sure you got the optimal benefits of this product.

<font color="red"> Where can I buy the Sebastian Colorshines? Is it available at Sally's or Ulta? </font color>

Tracy,
Do you use Colorshines to give your natural color hair more shine or do you use it on top of a permanent dye to make it shine????

You can use it in both cases. Colorshines (and most other "glossers/semi-perm colors") also come in a CLEAR version if you want to just add shine with changing your natural color.

Kia - I've used it for both. Before I colored I used the darker versions or the clear just to add shine and now that I have a lighter base color Iuse it to change my color. The base is quite blond - so when I want red I get red, when I want a sandy brown I get that, when I want gold I get that. It's so fun! But it can be used both ways. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been wanting to try it for a while so this review helped me get some motivation to order some. I am going to try to mix the reddismio or the brightest red they have (what ever it is) and the black. I think it would be pretty for the fall. I wonder who it would turn out.

Dionne,

What color is your natural color? My instincts tell me that the black will swallow up any prettiness you might get from the reddissimo. Balck absorbs everything. It might rinse down pretty but all you get for the first couple of weeks is a very dark color. And those arker ones are sometiems harder to rinse out than you'd expect depending on how porous your hair is. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

If your hair is dark I would say just put one of the deeper reds (like Cinnamon) on top of your natural base color. That would give the deep crimsony color I think you are envisioning. Just wondering what you were going for and what you were working with to start. Forgive me for being nosy - /images/graemlins/grin.gif but I love playing with color. I colored my girlfriends hair the other day with some Sebastian and she was in LOVE with the results. I felt like Shamboosie! LOL! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Free2beme,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The Results:: My hair came out a rich vibrant black with a bit more body. It's also a tad more reflective with more sheen. Nothing drastic. a few friends have commented that my hair looks "richer".

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like an excellent benefit! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I do have one question. Does the color constantly comes out once you shower and stain your clothes. I'm asking because when I had a rinse, it contantly seemed like the color rubbed off on everything, especially my clothes. That's why I started permanently coloring.

Hairfanatic,
I have never used Sebastian Colorshines, but did use the product years ago when it was called Sebastian Cellophanes. The color was a bluish black called
"Black Orchid". Your question about the color coming off on everything made me laugh thinking about one of the most embarrassing/laughable moments of my life.
I had gone to a real fancy healthspa in New york with a date and I was feeling good about myself. In shape, new bathing suit, yada yada yada... I had done quite a few laps and decided that I would take a break at the shallow end of the pool. My date had gone off to secure us a reservation for lunch at the facility's restaurant. I noticed that people were looking at me. Smiling, sneaking glances then looking away quickly. I thought it was a little strange and I couldn't figure out why, but convinced myself that I must be looking good! LOL. This staring went on for about 15 minutes until this elderly man came up to me and said "My dear, I don't mean to be rude, but your hair is dripping blue stuff!" Turns out the dye was dripping down my neck and staining my white bathing suit as well as the pool wall that I was leaning against. I moved my head from against the wall and there was a slight blue stain on the tile (just like the "Soul Glo" scene from Coming To America). Must have been the chlorine from the pool, because I had never noticed this much color "run off" in the shower before.
I've been meaning to go get a Coffeebean Colorshine, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Do you think subconsciously I'm avoiding it? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pallas

<font color="purple"> Ok, Tracy's got me really psyched for this product. And this thread isn't helping at all! For the ladies in New York City, can I purchase this product from a beauty &amp; barber shop store? Or is it only available on line?

I have a sily question for Tracy, but I'll ask anyway. I currently use Clairol's Natural Instincts semi-permanent color. Guess I have to wait until it washes out before trying the Sebastians, huh?
</font color>

<font color="purple"> And Tracy, one more question for our resident expert on this product!

My hair is black; not exactly jet-black, but there are brown hues if one looks hard enough. Any suggestions for achieving a nice brown color with Colorshines? Or might that be asking too much for semi permanent color?

Thanks much! </font color> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

My natural hair color is dark brown and is get redder at the ends. I love rich dark shiny hair and I just wanted something new. I wanted to get a warmer color for the fall. Just something that looks cozy if you know what I mean. Thanks again for your help.

What about the coffee bean and red?

Yeah, but they probably just pm'd each other. I absolutely love this product. and the shine is phenominal - i have a pinned up pic in my album after i did it! phenominal i tell ya
smile.gif

NYCchild are you talking about your March 2003 pic??? Girl your hair is so shiny it doen't even look real!!! I love it! What colour did you use?

Yep thats it - Thanks for the compliment. I used the clear! scared of color - thats what ruined me to start with
ohwell.gif

[image]http://public.fotki.com/freedbyjesuz/hair/march_2003.html[/image]

Hi everyone! I just joined- I actually stumbled across searching for info on Colorshines . . . Anywhoo, I just got the colorshines in clear (for shine and conditioning) and the black orchid (for color and shine) but had a couple questions I'm hoping someone could help with . . .

1. Doing this at home, should it be heated longer?

2. Should I use my vinyl hairdryer attachment cap (which is ventilated but can't use high heat), or a showercap (which is more air tight& dryer can be on high)?

3. Will the clear enhance the black's shine if I use afterward?

Sorry if I missed these questions and they have already been answered! The directions just aren't too clear when you do this at home. Thanks in advance, Dolo :)

hey hon. well i've tried colourshines for the first time, like 4 weeks ago and I LOVE it. i love the color. I used the cinnamon and it is barely noticeable inside but outside it's a gorgeous warm dark red. anywhoo, enough about me. i don't think that it's wise to put the clear on top of the black. what i'm saying is you are doing too much...this product is recommended to use one application every 4 weeks(or more). I think all of the colors have the 'shine' affect with it, without u having to use the 'clear' on top of it. and i didn't leave mines in longer than what the instructions said...but you should just do what you feel will work for your hair. and i used 2 showercaps on my head. because the caps are thinner than a conditioning cap used by a salon so i used 2 to get the same effect.

good luck to you...now i have a question for everyone also. Can anyone tell me what the reddissimo and/or the redality will look like on dark brown hair? I notice that when i wash my hair, my hair bleeds orange...so i'm thinking sooner or later my beautiful red tint will fade and i'll have orange hair. :ohwell: i'm wondering if any of the other red shades work and look just as cute but maybe have a red base instead of orange??? :perplexed

antolin1 said:
Hi everyone! I just joined- I actually stumbled across searching for info on Colorshines . . . Anywhoo, I just got the colorshines in clear (for shine and conditioning) and the black orchid (for color and shine) but had a couple questions I'm hoping someone could help with . . .

1. Doing this at home, should it be heated longer?

2. Should I use my vinyl hairdryer attachment cap (which is ventilated but can't use high heat), or a showercap (which is more air tight& dryer can be on high)?

3. Will the clear enhance the black's shine if I use afterward?

Sorry if I missed these questions and they have already been answered! The directions just aren't too clear when you do this at home. Thanks in advance, Dolo :)

THanks for the reply! Well, I used the clear last night- Thin shower cap, heated for abt 3 mn . . . I got some shine but nothing really to make me go "WOW" over. Truthfully, I get more shine when I do a hot oil treatment, sigh. But I bet the black orchid will be a lot more shinier when I try it, bc my hair is naturally jet black with zero shine to it since its so coarse so I figure it needs the color boost. I think I expected too much-I want that shiny black Geisha girl hair, if ya know what I mean!

Does anyone think rinses effect natural hair texture? considering using this rinse and want to make sure that it will not alter my natural hair.

Thanks!!

I think I will do a cellophone the next time I wear my hair out. Thanks for reminding me. I used to do cellophane as a teen so I forgot about it. My hairstylist at the time used to put it in and everyone asked why my hair was so shiny. That was so many years ago I nearly forgot.Thanks for reminding me!

I brought mine from a local BS. However, sleekhair.com, sells the old and new version. I think I also seen it at Amazon.

Back