Results of pin curls and instructions (PICTURES)

SleekandBouncy

I've gotten a few emails asking what styles I wear as my roots are growing and that don't involve heat. So I'll be periodically posting them.

My wash n set stylist is Dominican and as they straighten the roots they pin curl each section after blow drying, then go on to finish the rest. That's where I learned the pin curl from. They have a Spanish word for them that I've forgotten, but essentially it's like a roller without the roll. You can put them in prior to stepping into the shower and the steam will set them. I'll walk around for an hour or so when I get up in the morning with them in my hair. You can't sleep on them or they will be shaped oddly. However, if you lay the curl flat then you can sleep on them. Just remember to pin them in the area where the ends tuck under, rather than laying an big ol' clip across the whole curl (it will only result in dents and bends in the curls). I add a little bit of kemi oyl or avocado butter to the ends to keep them smooth. This is also a great technique for stretching relaxers. Prior to my relaxer (last weekend) I was able to hide major new growth simply by blowdrying my roots and then putting my hair in pin curls overnight. The curls were crazy bouncy and camouflaged the roots perfectly.

The second pic is the curl they do at my salon (like rolled hair w/o the roller), I put these in first thing in the morning and shower, etc. with them. The second kind (laying flat against my head) are for overnight and last longer. The last two pics show a regular style that I'm playing around with,basically just pinning half the hair up and creating a little poof on top all from pin curls.

This is how my Dominican stylist does the pin curls, you do this in the morning and take them out just before you leave, but if you're going to sleep it's best to make them flat curls because these will get crushed.

This is how you roll them.

This is how you do flat curls for overnight wear.

These are the results:

Last edited:

lonei

This is what I do, but the flat ones everynight and when I'm around the house. My results are in my siggy, they work well when you exercise too, once you let them dry and remove them, you have beautiful curls, the more/tighter you do them, the more curls you have. Yours looks great! I use hair pins....

DivaRox

Great info:yep: I'll have to keep this in mind once I'm done with my braids. You and Lonei have beautiful curls btw.

Energee

I've been waiting for someone to do this tutorial! It came in the nick of time as we are moving and it's quite busy. My Pibbs will be with the movers and I won't be able to do any washing or rollersetting for at least 3 days. Hopefully I'll be able to on Sunday if I'm not drop dead tired from moving and unpacking:spinning:.

Thank you so much. I really NEEDED this!:yep:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I'm going to do my pin curls like that once my hair grows longer....in the meantime I make them tiny so that they will come out super curly. (pics in siggy) :D

neonbright

I want to try this, I may try this tomorrow. But I will for sure try it alfter I get my touch up. Your hair is beautiful.

imani97

Hey SleekandBouncy,

Are you in NY? If so.... where do you get your hair done? I've tried explaining to a Dominican stylist how to pincurl my hair as she is blowing out my roots, but they really did not get what I meant. :nono:

SleekandBouncy

Pretty! I can't seem to do them right, maybe I'll try again.

I've tried pin-curls and they never turn out like yours. Beautiful hair, lovely curls.:yep:..

What tends to be the problem? Maybe I and the other pin curlers can help :)
I find the domi pin curls (sorry guys, I can't remember what they call them in the salon), the ones that stand upright like there's a roller inside are best if you want to add body and definition to layers, the overnight flat pincurls are best for curl-curls.

I start by holding the end of a portion of my hair between my thumb and forefinger, then I take the forefinger of my other hand and firmly place it about an inch above where I'm holding the ends. Then I bring the fingers holding the ends upward, as I do that my thumbs release hold of the ends and I just keep putting one forefinger above the other until of coiled up a full curl. Sometimes they'll sit me under the dryer for a few minutes if I need it "set" for the rest of the day.

texasgrl

I am blown away by the beauty and simplicity of this style. I have been searching for a way to make my hair look this way. Thank u thank u thank u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

Syrah

:sigh: that make me want to relax my hair straighter.

Just beautiful! :)

Why did I think the same thing? I wasn't doing any of this cool make-my-hair-look-great-without-using-a-damn-curling-iron stuff to my hair when it was relaxed. And now that I'm natural, all ya'll come out the woodwork with this easy ideas that have beautiful results?

:sigh:

Maybe when I make another switch...

2Cute!

Wow ladies....your hair looks great. Thanks to all of you who posted pics. It's been a while since I've tried them. Maybe I'll try again tonight.