Relaxing with olaplex/K18/ Redken acidic bond repair

ScorpioLove

Hi Ladies,

It’s definitely been a long time since I’ve been on this board. Since then I’ve been natural for a decade and I want to go back to being relaxed and for me a simpler time.

Now that we have bond builders (and I’m a little less broke tbh) and new product technologies out there, are any relaxed ladies using that as part of your routine?
Anyone use Olaplex no.1 in their relaxer mix?
Or olaplex no.2 mixed with some protein conditioner as a mid protein step before neutralizing?
Or the K18 mask ?
There’s also the k18 repair mist that K18 says to spray on hair at least 4 minutes before applying relaxer

Would love to know what others are doing to maintain hair health while relaxed/ texlaxed and your relaxed day routine.

VinDieselsWifey

I’ve been natural this time around for 9 years & I’m tired too. I’m trying to decide between amino acid treatments & a very mild relaxer because I want to keep as much texture & curl as possible, I just want it loosened. I also plan to use the K18 system when I do it.

I used Avlon Texture Release in 2020 & I liked the results, but I did notice a lot of shedding at first. I also don’t know if amino acid treatments are compatible with henna & other Ayurvedic treatments and I’m not giving them up. When I had the texture release I didn’t use any Ayurvedic treatments.

When I was texlaxed I could never get the curly texture I wanted, it was more like a kinky straight texture. With the texture release I had the 3b/3c texture that I wanted but I’m not sure I’m sold on the technology over the long term. At least with relaxers they’ve been around for decades and I had no problem using my Ayurvedic products with them.

I read some old threads where one member did henna on the same day as bkt/amino acid treatments to make the results more permanent. This has me curious if it would work for me but I don’t want to damage my hair or have it fall off my head. :laugh:

ScorpioLove

@IDareT'sHair Olaplex and k18 both have instructions on their site on how to use their professional strength products on relaxer day, but I can’t find anyone who’s actually done it. I imagine the redken acidic mask would be a great finisher after shampooing and a moisture conditioner to bring down the hairs pH.
Here’s the olaplex instructions for example https://pro.olaplex.com/manual/relaxers/

I used to relax / texlax myself in college and I found an old picture of my relaxed hair on this site that I miss. I always had pretty terrible experiences at salons for relaxers and I can’t say there is anyone I would trust with such a strong chemical in my head.

@VinDieselsWifey I feel the exact same way. It was either being a straight natural, amino acid treatments or a relaxer. I’ve got too much going on personally and professionally to keep this up and I’m in a protective style 99.9% of the time due to my hair texture and constantly cutting out ssks. My shrunken hair is somehow still at ear length even if it’s bsl/ mbl.
I need to do the math on how to weaken the relaxer enough to get elongated coils vs relaxed hair. I assume the pH will be the biggest factor and I’ve got a pH tester to make sure the relaxer is diluted enough with conditioner.

I did a keratin once 9 years ago and my hair broke off terribly. I’m a bit skeptical about those from that experience so I’ve decided on the devil I know approach.

VinDieselsWifey

@IDareT'sHair Olaplex and k18 both have instructions on their site on how to use their professional strength products on relaxer day, but I can’t find anyone who’s actually done it. I imagine the redken acidic mask would be a great finisher after shampooing and a moisture conditioner to bring down the hairs pH.
Here’s the olaplex instructions for example https://pro.olaplex.com/manual/relaxers/

I used to relax / texlax myself in college and I found an old picture of my relaxed hair on this site that I miss. I always had pretty terrible experiences at salons for relaxers and I can’t say there is anyone I would trust with such a strong chemical in my head.

@VinDieselsWifey I feel the exact same way. It was either being a straight natural, amino acid treatments or a relaxer. I’ve got too much going on personally and professionally to keep this up and I’m in a protective style 99.9% of the time due to my hair texture and constantly cutting out ssks. My shrunken hair is somehow still at ear length even if it’s bsl/ mbl.
I need to do the math on how to weaken the relaxer enough to get elongated coils vs relaxed hair. I assume the pH will be the biggest factor and I’ve got a pH tester to make sure the relaxer is diluted enough with conditioner.

I did a keratin once 9 years ago and my hair broke off terribly. I’m a bit skeptical about those from that experience so I’ve decided on the devil I know approach.
IMG_3644.jpeg

This book from Dr. Ali Syed just arrived for me today. He invented the products for Avlon, Affirm, Keracare, As I Am. I’m hoping I can find some good scientific info on changing the structure of curly hair.

I’ve also looked around on google patents at a lot of products that seem to never have made it to the market. But I study the technology. I saw one by K18 about changing the shape of protein structures using peptides instead of caustic chemicals. But I don’t know if it will ever come on the market. If only some of us from this hair board could work with these scientists to invent something new & innovative.