K18 Hair Treatment-Rebuild Keratin Bonds Permanently

Thank you for your response.
-5 days between uses.
-Using as directed.
-Not color treated or relaxed.
-after the 4 minutes. I use melaninhaircare leave-in and a sealer and twist my hair.

I'm noticing short hairs in the comb and on the bathroom floor.
Ok. I dont know that it would cause breakage.

But I also dont know unless you use a lot of heat what benefit it would have for you.

Since you are destroying the bonds in your hair with anything perhaps only use it once a quarter.

If I ever use this product again, Im going to do it as it is now instructed for coily hair. They say to emulsify it until it become a creamy lather all over your hands. This way you can see where you placed it. Then pat it onto the hair. After the 4 minutes, rinse it out and then use a conditioner to detangle. They told me after I asked last year, but now they have a visual almost a year later. I wish I had asked before I used it up. It was so frustrating back then.

That's no good. I stop using products that cause immediate and adverse effects. Continuing to use something that disagrees with my hair causes setbacks and time getting your hair back on track. I hate to hear that it isn't working for you since it is a product I am coming to like, but I thank you for your honest experience. It is useful and helps me to be mindful as I use it. The silver lining whenever an expensive product doesn't work it for me is that it leaves more room for cheaper alternatives that will. It is a good thing to be able to pass on the more expensive items and get the hair you want with cheaper items. I wish my hair wasn't so bougie :giggle:
Well I washed my hair today and lost a ton of hair. It was coming out in my hands. K18 did something to it. Next time I wash I'll use a hard core protein to stop the breakage.

Last edited:
That's no good. I stop using products that cause immediate and adverse effects. Continuing to use something that disagrees with my hair causes setbacks and time getting your hair back on track. I hate to hear that it isn't working for you since it is a product I am coming to like, but I thank you for your honest experience. It is useful and helps me to be mindful as I use it. The silver lining whenever an expensive product doesn't work it for me is that it leaves more room for cheaper alternatives that will. It is a good thing to be able to pass on the more expensive items and get the hair you want with cheaper items. I wish my hair wasn't so bougie :giggle:
An update: I washed my hair with Ouidad bonding shampoo. Conditioned with Shedavi protein dc followed by a moisturizing dc. After shampooing what I noticed is that my curls came back. When I shampooed the last time, my hair felt like it had been relaxed. It was dead straight on top and was coming out in my hands. The bonding shampoo restored the curls. I lost almost no hair. Back on track.

If I ever use this product again, Im going to do it as it is now instructed for coily hair. They say to emulsify it until it become a creamy lather all over your hands. This way you can see where you placed it. Then pat it onto the hair. After the 4 minutes, rinse it out and then use a conditioner to detangle. They told me after I asked last year, but now they have a visual almost a year later. I wish I had asked before I used it up. It was so frustrating back then.

Thanks for sharing this. I usually emulsify each pump of the product until my hands are coated, but I've never emulsified until the product was opaque. I use 4 pumps a treatment, but I could get away with 3 or even 2 pumps using this method:scratchchin:

Thanks for sharing this. I usually emulsify each pump of the product until my hands are coated, but I've never emulsified until the product was opaque. I use 4 pumps a treatment, but I could get away with 3 or even 2 pumps using this method:scratchchin:
That's what I was thinking. We really don't need much. Why was I trying to actually run this product through my hair while it looked and felt invisible? I was almost getting breakage because I was applying it wrong. This has me thinking about how to apply the Olaplex #3 treatment. I've probably used too much of that as well.

I think as BW we are generally too heavy handed with product because it's felt it is needed. I saw a relaxed lady on YT who says she goes through an 8 fl oz treatment mask after 4 uses; her hair wasn't that long or thick to be doing all that!!

I've really toned down the amount of Olaplex No 3 that I use now, and I realise I was simply using too much. I emulsify all of my product now, and really work it into/press it into the hair. You're getting more bang for your buck that way; my hair still turns out the same as it did when I was packing the product on.

I need to repurchase a new bottle of K18, will get some this week.

I think as BW we are generally too heavy handed with product because it's felt it is needed. I saw a relaxed lady on YT who says she goes through an 8 fl oz treatment mask after 4 uses; her hair wasn't that long or thick to be doing all that!!

I've really toned down the amount of Olaplex No 3 that I use now, and I realise I was simply using too much. I emulsify all of my product now, and really work it into/press it into the hair. You're getting more bang for your buck that way; my hair still turns out the same as it did when I was packing the product on.

I need to repurchase a new bottle of K18, will get some this week.

How do you emulsify your products?

I experimented with emulsifying only 2 pumps of k18 before styling. I think the amount I use will depend on the products I use after. If k18 is my only leave in, I'll need 3 pumps . If I follow up with another leave in or a cream based styler, then 2 pumps should suffice. The current guidance is 3 pumps max. My original usage was based on the chart here:

1682952071613.png

It's been a while since I've been on their site. I remember when the shampoos launched but wasn't aware of the oil.

I used the K-18 leave-in on my second wash and press. I made 8 sections that were more uniform in size and I was able to use 8 pumps(1 pump per section), instead of the 14-16 that I used last time. The emulsifying tip works well.

I also used the K-18 oil after I applied the K-18 leave-in/mask. After 4 minutes of letting the K-18 mask/leave-in activate, I applied two drops of the oil per section before blow drying. I emulsified that too. My hair did not feel as soft as I expected it to feel with other protectants but it wasn't dried out or anything. I can justify the price point with the mask but not with the oil yet. It worked fine but a 1 oz $70 product needs to be better than fine. I can feel a light layer of lubrication on my strands from the oil, but it doesn't weigh my hair down or transfer.

No progressive improvement with the mask/leave-in form the first press to the second.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I also bought the mist. I don't use chemical services but I can use that like I use Olaplex, on a wash day when i still want to shampoo and deep condition after applying the treatment. I haven't used that yet.

Last edited:
My hair is craving deep conditioner. I doubt I will keep this press for more than 2 weeks without deep conditioning(I usually keep my silk presses for around a month). Yesterday my hair started snagging when running my fingers through it(not breaking, just snagging and showing friction as an indicator of internal dryness even though it feels silky to the touch) and I can usually run my fingers or even a fine tooth comb through my press for 2-3 weeks after a silk press (without any tangles and snags). My hair feels silky and looks good but it isn't conditioned well enough. I am adding deep conditioner back in on my next wash. I still like the leave-in mask but I like it better when paired with other products that are conditioning/moisturizing. My initial impression that I could take the place of leave-in and deep conditioner was skewed by the fact that my hair was well balanced before I used it in April. It is not a stand alone product/line on my hair when I use it in succession. The results of this press aren't as good as my last press or the one in December (and I can get good back to back press results when deep conditioning..I do it all the time). I have to be mindful of the ability of this product to become drying to my hair.

Last edited:
I was able to keep this press 4 weeks, but it was not a great press. Although my hair looked good, my hair would feel silky and soft when it was detangled, but it would tangle and feel starched before I detangled it. I had to detangle it every day to curb webbing before I applied an oil to it.

The webbing started the day after my press and lasted for 2 and a half weeks, before I applied Shu Uemura's Essence Absolue oil(I imagine any nourishing oil would have helped with lubrication without reversion) to salvage my press. Once I applied the oil, I let absorb for one day and the tangles melted away(without leaving my hair greasy). Luckily no breakage occurred while I experienced the tangles, but that is because I was extreamly gentle in my detangling process. I completely understand how some ladies would have gotten breakage if they got the same tangling I did and detangled normally.

My dilemma was that I skipped deep conditioner, added K-18 oil and skimped on the leave-in/mask , while trying the emulsifying technique during my prior treatment . So, any one of those things could've be the culprit. My plan was to:
  • Use the k-18 oil without the mask/leave-in(my standard regimen but the oil as my heat protectant) to determine if the oil caused the tangles.
  • Use the K-18 with and without deep conditioners to determine if standard conditioner is necessary.
  • Use however many pumps felt good in my hair and not worry about the amount.

Luckily, I didn't have to go through those all three bullet points before figuring it out. When I clarified, shampooed and tried the the k-18 followed by a deep conditioner, my hair felt fine. So, I was able to I figure out the culprit quickly. My hair was not conditioned/moisturized enough with k-18 alone. My hair feel great as soon as water hit it and it started to draw up. I clarified the first wash then, on the second wash, I applied the moisturizing shampoo. I could feel the moisturizing shampoo make my hair feel nice again. I applied the k-18(1-2 pumps per section in 8 sections. I emulsified but didn't focus on using as little as possible this time. I used 13 pumps) . Waited 4 minutes and, sure enough, my hair felt dried out while still damp. It was a similar dryness to protein overload without a moisturizing deep conditioner to follow-up. So, the k-18 leave-in/mask is definitely the culprit to the dryness. I just didn't notice it on my first treatment because my hair was already so deeply moisturized before my first k-18 treatment, that the baseline I offset the dryness k-18 can cause to an undetectable level.

This time I wet my hair down after the 4 minutes and applied deep conditioner. As soon as the deep conditioner hit my hair, my hair softened. I had no issues detangling with my rake comb first and Felicia Leatherwood second. I didn't dare try to detangle without it feeling soft and supple first. My hair was drier this wash than it was the last one before the deep conditioner was applied. I lost less than my usual grape size amount of hair from wash to finish. No breakage. I put my hair in braids and steamed my hair under my old school Huetiful steamer. Today, my hair is air drying and feeling like its supple moisturized self again.

I will do the 4th treatment on my next wash to follow the instructions. However, I am certain that 4 -6 starter treatments are only needed for those with chemically treated, colored or damaged hair. For us with with medium to low porosity, this can dry out our hair and cause it to tangle. It can progressively dry my hair out more and more each wash, if Ido not follow up with something deeply moisturizing. It isn't anything I need as a standard treatment while my hair is relatively healthy. I am betting it is because it closes that cuticle making it harder for moisture to be infused into the strands.

Well, I am glad I came to this revelation because this is expensive. I will use what I have and save my money, without needing this. I may use it sporadically for a hair boost when I have overdone it, but I am not interested in regular use once I complete the 4th treatment on the next wash. It has the potential to cause more harm than good, if not paying special care to usage.

Last edited:
I completed treatment number 4. My hair stayed moisturized and supple all week in my swooped bang that I left out of my silk lined cap and the back braids that were tucked away all week. I plan to use up what I have, If I don't have any issues, but don't require this. My conditioners and steam treatments moisturize my hair fantastically with or without this treatment whereas this product or proteins treatment can dry my hair out if I am not careful.

Has anyone tried the Epres bond repair system? Reportedly better than Olaplex but not sure about K18.
I’ve tried it twice or 3 times? Last time was during my retouch in February. LOVED it for that.
Epres and Olaplex will stay in my rotation. Definitely not K18.

I find Epres seems to actually make the internal part of the strands stronger, without all the breakage K18 gives me when detangling. However, I still prefer Olaplex overall, for its balance of bond repair and moisture on a consistent basis.

Epres has a noticeable difference after one use. I even bought it as a gift for someone as well. For both of us, we couldn’t get the same sleek results the 2nd time around. I feel like Epres is more like a strong protein for me, where it’s best used less frequently, like when you really need it or you want an acid-free bond builder.
Olaplex, I can use every wash.

Other reason I can’t use it as much is that both Epres and K18, for some bizarre reason, flare up seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp (my scalp smells noticeably musty after a few days, which never happens).
Only thing I could think of is that it may be related to the peptides or similar, which Olaplex doesn’t have. Also with Epres and K18, my hair is more ‘oily’ the day after until the next wash. In a good way - Hair is sleeker, soft. But K18 causes too much roughness and breakage for me when detangling the day of. Epres, not as much, but hair still feels a little more rough than with Olaplex (when wet and detangling).

Funny that this post pops up because I’m planning on using Epres again for my next wash tomorrow.

Last edited:
This is my second consecutive k18 treatment, third in total, I’m in love so far. My hair feel fortified after using and my breakage is greatly reduced. I wait the 4 minutes and then apply a deep conditioner. I’ve been using 4 pumps total and really emulsify in my hands to get ample coverage.

After the 6 washes, I’ll alternate with my Epres and olaplex to use them up. K18 has blown them out of the water for my relaxed hair

This is my second consecutive k18 treatment, third in total, I’m in love so far. My hair feel fortified after using and my breakage is greatly reduced. I wait the 4 minutes and then apply a deep conditioner. I’ve been using 4 pumps total and really emulsify in my hands to get ample coverage.

After the 6 washes, I’ll alternate with my Epres and olaplex to use them up. K18 has blown them out of the water for my relaxed hair
@lindseyerinc
:scratchchin: hmmmm?
Very Interesting:up:

Back