Relaxing- Protein Before or After

Tatilove

Hello all,

I will be relaxing for the first time since I starting my healthy hair journey back in June. My last relaxer was on May 18, and I plan to relax in about 2 week, which will make me 16 weeks post.

Now, I know that people with relaxed hair should do protein once in a while. I even tried that a couple weeks ago with a hair mayonaise, but since I am so new to healthy hair, I am unfortunately not sure when I should get my protein treatment when I am getting a fresh relaxer.

Should I do it before relaxing, if so, how many days/weeks before? Or should I do it right after the relaxer? Maybe I should do both before and after? If so, do they have to be hard protein like eggs and oil mixture, or can I use a soft protein like a hair mayonaise?

As you can probably see, I am confused as can be so any help would be welcomed.

Thank you :)

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I will probably relax this Friday.

I did my 1 week prior protein yesterday (Sunday).

I will also do a mid step protein during the relaxer process (before the neutralizing step), and then another protein treatment during my first wash post relaxer.

After that (depending on how my hair feels) I will stick to moisturizing conditioners for a little while then get back to my weekly protein followed by a moisturizing DC routine.

Lilmama1011

I do it a week before relaxing and it worked out fine when I relaxed, I seriously lost no hair what's so ever and was ecstatic about that, i use to lose so much hair when I relaxed and thought that was normal smh. And then the day of I do moisture because the neutralizing makes my hair feel like Brillo pad. And the following week it depends on what I need and then I keep alternating protein one week and moisture the following until I relax again but always protein a week before I relax

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I usually do at least a medium protein treatment 1-2 weeks before relaxing. I try to do it as soon as I know I want to or am itching to relax. Then, on the day of, I do a mid protein step. I use a of moisture DC within the 2 weeks as many times as possible depending on how dry my hair is, but since I started using crisco to protect the hair and my protein if quite softening, I don't have to DC my hair as much as I use to. Last, I use protein regardless 2 weeks after a relaxer, but its medium.

Last, it might be important to use hydrolyzed protein rather that homemade items in a situation like this, just to ensure the products are working.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I usually do my protein treatment 1 week before & after the neutralizing process. Then again in a week or two post relaxer. I use Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor.

janeemat

I do my protein treatment 1 -2 weeks before my relaxer (Aphoghee 2 step). Then again 2 wks post relaxer. I also use a mild protein treatment ( Affirm 5 n 1 reconstuctor) after rinsing my relaxer out right before neutralizing.

PJaye

Back when I used to relax my former neighbor's hair, I followed this process:

Last Wash (approximately 3-4 days before relaxing)
- Clarify
- Hard protein treatment using Aphogee Two Step Treatment
- DC with an ultra moisturizing conditioner
- Leave-in
- Seal using EVCO (to facilitate slower protein loss)

Relaxer Day
- Prep the hair by applying a mixture of silk amino acids and Roux Porosity Control from root to tip - let dry
- Apply conditioner to the previously relaxed hair (ORS Replenishing Pak)
- Apply the relaxer
- Rinse thoroughly
- Light protein treatment using Aphogee 2-Minute - let sit for about 5 minutes
- Neutralize several times under a cap for 20 minutes each using Profectiv Neutralizing Mousse (this is the best neutralizing shampoo I've ever encountered because it leaves the hair feeling unbelievably soft and silky)
- DC with an effective conditioner that also contains a bit of protein
- Leave-in
- Seal
- Style

First Wash (no more than seven days after applying the relaxer)
- Chelate (since I had used a no-lye relaxer)
- Light to medium protein treatment (Aphogee 2-Minute/Colorful Neutral Protein Filler - let sit for 15 to 20 minutes)
- DC
- Leave-in
- Seal
- Style

I was following the suggestions proffered in these articles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/getting-ready-relax-preparing-hair-relaxer-393837.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/guide-safely-applying-chemical-relaxers-455724.html?cat=69
http://voices.yahoo.com/benefits-mid-relaxer-protein-conditioning-step-6545488.html?cat=69
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sh...e+of+preventing+relaxing+damage+by+using+silk
http://swanghairmagazine.com/preventing-relaxer-damage-with-silk-pt-1/
http://swanghairmagazine.com/preventing-relaxer-damage-with-silk-pt-2/
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=206429

IMO, the type of protein used is a very important factor. Given their strengthening properties, I recommend using conditioners and treatments that contain hydrolyzed keratin and animal protein, as well as collagen for elasticity.

I know my post was rather longwinded, but I hope that it helps.:yep:

FelaShrine

dont think I will be doing protein before neutralizing anymore. Past 3 TUs have been underprocessed and I wanna make sure such doesnt repeat itself.

candie19

I use Joico K-Pak reconstructer 7 days before relaxer. Then I used Joico K-Pak conditioner right after i wash out the relaxer(before the neautralizer).

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm protein sensitive so I don't always protein treat before TU. If I do, I do it at least 5-7 days before TU. I always do a mid-step post-TU.

brittle_hair

I use Affirm 5 in 1 weekly cos my hair loves it. I discovered it because my hairdresser recommended it as she uses it for the mid relaxer protein step.

So essentially for me is I use it during the last wash before my relaxer, during my relaxer as well as the first wash after my relaxer.

tomnikids3

I recently read the book The Science of Black Hair and its recommended to do a hard protein about a week before a TU, then the touch up day after rinsing out the relaxer and before neutralizing to a protein treatment since the cuticle is open the protein will fill in damaged areas. The book also states that one major mistake made during relaxing is when we neutralize we put it in and rinse out too fast, neutralizer needs to be left in the hair for a couple of minutes to help normalize the Ph.

Im going to try these methods in about a week.

FemmeFatale

Hmm I used my Joico K pak last night and I'm getting my touch up tomorrow.

Is Joico k Pak considered a hard protein conditioner?

SuchaLady

I don't do anything before neutralizing a relaxer. If I feel I need a protein treatment I will do it after a week or two.

sylver2

i do a protein treatment a few days before touchup. then light protein right after i rinse relaxer out b4 neutalizer, then light protein 1 week post.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I used to do a hard protein like aphogee two step or nexxus Emergencee (milder) two weeks before a touch up. Then a light protein after relaxing.

mshoneyfly

I use a protein conditioner (keratin) about 3-4 days before I texturize. I pour the oil that comes with the relaxer and put the rest on my previously relaxed ends. I oil my scalp with vaseline then twist loosely in small sections.

After rinsing the texturizer, I use keratin as the midstep protein treatment. Then neutralize, then moisturizing DC.

For my first wash after texturizing, i use a keratin dc again then moisturizing DC. Sometimes, my moisturizing ones will have other proteins in them but still help to infuse and hold the moisture.

Conditioners I have with keratin:
-Mill Creek keratin conditioner
-Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
-CHI Infra Treatment
-VO5 Freezia

Last edited:

kim1006

After rinsing the relaxer out, my stylist applies motion protein conditioner and leaves me in the bowl for about 7-10 minutes then removes with water, washes my hair with a naturalizing shampoo, shampoo, deep condition, etc.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I don't do anything before neutralizing a relaxer. If I feel I need a protein treatment I will do it after a week or two.

SuchaLady, I tried this during this TU because I felt my hair was good to go and it started breaking in jaw dropping globs. I had to go back and use protein and things calmed down a bit. I won't ever skip protein after a TU.