relaxer potency

Integrity

to all relaxer heads, how do you know which strength to use (ie, mild, regular, super). i know it may have nothing to do with hair types cos some of u have type 4a, b and still relax with mild. i have always used regular but am beginning to wonder WHY i have been doing that. i wanna get into the habit of knowing WHY i do certain things to my hair... any ideas???

I used think think that I required Super, but Mild works fine. I feel that its the smoothing process that actually helps the relaxer more, not the strength. But that's with MY hair. I prefer to use a mild lye relaxer and my hair looks great (at least I think so)....I need to post photos.

I have very thick, type 4b coarse hair, so personally I have to use a regular or super strength relaxer, but I can usually get by with a regular. I have tried to use mild relaxers in the past, but they just don't produce the type of look that I want, in which my hair is at least 90% straight. I'm starting to think that not all relaxer brands are created equal, because I have used Mizani and Elucence, and neither of these relaxers got my hair straight, where as I've used Affirm or Revlon and both have made my hair straight. I guess some relaxer brands are stronger than others. But I think the type of hair you have, whether the texture is soft, fine, thick, or coarse probably dictates what strength of relaxer you should use.

I've been using super ever since i remember, and I think it was recomended by a stylist to my mother. Recently I had the same doubt, and I tried a regular relaxer. It didnt work for me, my roots were very volumous (sp?) and I experienced lots of breakage.

My hair is v. coarse and I have lots of hair (used to be called the helmet by some of my cousins /images/graemlins/crazy.gif). So maybe I'm really one of those people that the super formula is aimed at...

I have thick coarse 4a/4b hair, and a mild relaxer worked very well on me, much to my surprise. I always thought that I needed to use a regular relaxer, which I used to use. I don't know when and why super relaxers are required.

Back