Relaxed to Texlax - now I have breakage on my edges - HELP!!!!

DKO

I am transitioning from relaxed hair to texlax hair. I have about 5 inches of texlaxed hair. Overall, I'm gaining length but my edges have broken off.

I only texlax every 4-5 months and have been using the Mizani Thermasmooth system to straighten my hair. I blowdry and flat iron every 1 1/2 weeks (the same process I did when I was relaxed). I've had my hair cut into an ear length bob and it grew out to almost bsl. I am currently growing my hair out from a chin length bob and now it's just past my shoulders. So I've never had any problems cutting my hair short and growing it back out. So I'm really perplexed now that my edges have broken off like that.

Has ANYONE transitioning from relaxed to texlax experience this type of breakage? Should I maybe texlax the edges a little more frequently? Any suggestions? The rest of my hair is doing fine and I have no breakage on my nape area.

*CherryPie*

When you transition, you're gonna get some kind of breakage, because that area where the two texures meet is gonna be weak.

PearlyCurly

I agree about transitioning=breakage.
But also with texlax hair, depending on how much texture you have left..curly hair is more prone to being fragile & dry.

Last edited:

prospurr4

About 5 years ago, I transitioned from relaxed-straight to texlaxed, and now I am fully texlaxed. During that time, I didn't have a problem with increased breakage on my edges. In fact, they were fuller because I wasn't overprocessing them anymore. :rolleyes:

To keep my edges full and healthy, I moisturize daily and tie a silk scarf around my hairline at bedtime to protect and smooth them down. I never use brushes or direct heat, and I am very gentle when smoothing my edges down to create a bun or updo.

Also, when I began my transition, I stopped using direct heat completely...I personally believe that direct heat AND chemicals put too much stress on MY hair, leading to excessive breakage.

HTH

Last edited:

achangedlife

I'm transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed also. I started over in November I think and my major problem has been my nape, they keep breaking off. It's been awhile since I had any bone straight hair on my nape since they've broken off but I still can't get any length out of it. The last touch up I did I started a little higher, then before smoothing I went back and applied the relaxer to my nape. This left it a bit more under processed then I wanted but the haven't broken. I don't understand how my nape could be so course yet so fragile.

I was also having some breakage, mainly to the bone straight hair but also a bit at the demarcation line. This past week I decided to just chop off my relaxed ends, about 3 inches. I have about the same amount of texlaxed hair. I'm not crazy about the cut only cause I did it myself and its not as sharp as a professional cut would look. However when I play with it I'm loving the fullness of it and I can't wait till I get those 3 inches back. It's gonna be thick and luscious. I just hope my nape is in better shape by then.

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App