Relaxed/texlaxed ladies who do braidouts

ericajoy

...or twistouts, or bantu knot-outs: What products do you use to help your hair hold the style?

My texlaxed hair is just getting long enough to do a decent braidout, but the last few times I tried it, the style only lasted about a day before reverting back to its freeform unruly state. :nono:

The products I used were my usual kimmaytube-style leave-in and then some Mixed Chicks leave-in that I need to use up, and some Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on the ends. Apparently these products don't have enough hold for my hair, but before I run out to buy something else I wanted to see what you ladies use. Any suggestions?

Yay I need this thread too!

I'm texlaxed and I'm not doing twist/braid-outs, but I'm doing tight rollersets. I've done it twice and the first time it was really cute and survived being out in the hot/humid weather. I deep conditioned w/ QH Cholesterol and used setting lotion, then sat under the dryer. Then I put some grease on it the next day, with obviously a too heavy-hand and that messed w/ the texture/consistency of the curls.

The 2nd time, I didn't DC w/ QH. I used the hot oil and then I don't think I used as much setting lotion and didn't sit under the dryer as long.

Tonight I just got from under the dryer. I did the DC w/ QH and I used setting lotion. Also, I got some Kemi Oyl to use when I take the rollers out instead of grease.

I used to do this back in the day and noticed that if my leave-in was too creamy, it was over! Also, as old school as setting lotion is, there's some truth to what it does. If you're just finger-combing, there shouldn't be an issue if your hair has a stronger hold to it.

I'll share how things work out. I really hope this lasts for the whole week. I plan to maintain at night w/ rollers.

I'm texlaxed and used to do twistouts often. After cowashing, I would add some Giovanni Direct Leave-in and seal with castor oil. Then I airdry in 10 individual twists, with drinking straw-pieces on the ends. After my hair is COMPLETELY dry, I gently separate the twists and finger-style.

I prefer my twistouts with definition but without too much shrikage. Here's a pic of the last time I did one:
JuneTwistout-1.jpg

Mine last for only 1 day, though, because I don't want to re-twist every night. So, I just wear updos for the rest of the week, like this:
100_2549-1.jpg

I have been doing twist and briadouts for almost three years. I don't think that the product matters as much as rebraids at night. You can use diluted setting lotion for extra hold. I just use water and oil to rebraid and a little hawanii sliky but that is just for moisture. I would look at Zane and Rob's website for information too.

I never thought of using setting lotion but I'm going to try that. And Prospurr4, omg, I loooove your twistout.

Oh and Bun Mistress, that's a good point about rebraiding. I have to stop being lazy and do that.

Any other product/technique suggestions? This is really helpful!

My hair is natural but with a loose curl. I co-wash a lot so I don't know if holds many days. What I do is a creamy leave-in with protein, and hard hold gel. But mostly just the leave-in works because the protein gives my hair some hold.

I use a lil taliah waajid bodifier when I'm making the bantu knots on dry hair. And that's it

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I use my regular leave-ins after a wash/cowash (ORS Carrot Oil, NTM Silk Touch, and Rusk Smoother), airdry for 30 minutes and do 4 braids while my hair is damp. In the morning, I undo the braids and fluff. Sylver2 also had the great idea to just re-braid the bottom of your hair to keep definition longer.

Here are my pics:

RightBraid-th.jpg

LeftBraid-th.jpg

BackBraids-th.jpg

Braidout4-th.jpg

Braidout3-th.jpg

For bantu knot outs, I use a little bit of moisturizer and a light hold gel (I'm trying to use up this gel I got from a local vendor but it's aloe vera based).

For braid outs, I just use Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Conditioning Milk. I make sure to rebraid nightly :yep:

I use Giovanni direct and then a butter to seal, whipped shea butter, or Avo-coco butter. It lasts a couple of days.

I wore braidouts a couple of years ago and quit since I thought it was too much manipulation since I would have to rebraid at night to keep the look. Well the past week I decided to try them again since I need a break from rollersetting. I washed and condtioned my hair as normal. For my leave ins I chose to use Salerm leave in and Chi mist (forgot the name of it). I let my air dry until it was a little damp and did 2 cornrow braids in the front and 3 regular plaits in the back. I rolled the ends to give it some definition. I have to redo it at night, but I mist it with a little water mixed with Chi silk infusion and the Chi mist. I also put a little oil on the ends before I roll the braids. So far so good. I'm going to see if I can get a pic to post.

I've tried a variety of products over the years.

A lotion-type leave in, sealed with oil gives a nice hold and shine. I currently use Hairveda Whipped Cream and Vatika frosting.

MJ curly meringue gives awesome hold, but it can be drying. I like MJ stretch silkening cream, too.

For my twist outs, I use my regular leave ins (Joico reconstructor spray, Redken AntiSnap and Mizani Nightime H20 although I have been using Mango Butter lately :lick:).

As for the upkeep, I just roll the ends with perm rods as I am too lazy to rebraid.

Here are some pictures from 1-2 years ago:

DSCN4874.jpg

DSCN4882.jpg

I wash or cowash my hair, then use some type of leave in conditioner, followed by moisturizer, then oil. I use the Sally's Generic version of Maxtrix Sleek.Look Extreme Styling Creme. It does a great job of keeping a style without leaving it hard. I usually do about 4 flat twists with sponge roller on ends. My twistouts can last up to a week if I'm good about maintaining. And I never retwist. :nono:

Shea butter and a completely dried wet-set gives me great definition for my twist outs. Make sure your hair is really moisturized so that it will not pull moisture from the air, that will cause frizz.

A setting foam like Elasta QP works well as a setting lotion.

I also like mixing SHea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie with eco styler gel (1 part smoothie to 2 parts gel). I have relaxed ends and this gave me definition that lasted about 3 days without retwisting (on the 3rd day I wore it up though). This mix gives a very soft, touchable hold that lasts.

Back