Relaxed/texlaxed ladies who do braidouts

ericajoy

...or twistouts, or bantu knot-outs: What products do you use to help your hair hold the style?

My texlaxed hair is just getting long enough to do a decent braidout, but the last few times I tried it, the style only lasted about a day before reverting back to its freeform unruly state. :nono:

The products I used were my usual kimmaytube-style leave-in and then some Mixed Chicks leave-in that I need to use up, and some Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on the ends. Apparently these products don't have enough hold for my hair, but before I run out to buy something else I wanted to see what you ladies use. Any suggestions?

itismehmmkay

Yay I need this thread too!

I'm texlaxed and I'm not doing twist/braid-outs, but I'm doing tight rollersets. I've done it twice and the first time it was really cute and survived being out in the hot/humid weather. I deep conditioned w/ QH Cholesterol and used setting lotion, then sat under the dryer. Then I put some grease on it the next day, with obviously a too heavy-hand and that messed w/ the texture/consistency of the curls.

The 2nd time, I didn't DC w/ QH. I used the hot oil and then I don't think I used as much setting lotion and didn't sit under the dryer as long.

Tonight I just got from under the dryer. I did the DC w/ QH and I used setting lotion. Also, I got some Kemi Oyl to use when I take the rollers out instead of grease.

I used to do this back in the day and noticed that if my leave-in was too creamy, it was over! Also, as old school as setting lotion is, there's some truth to what it does. If you're just finger-combing, there shouldn't be an issue if your hair has a stronger hold to it.

I'll share how things work out. I really hope this lasts for the whole week. I plan to maintain at night w/ rollers.

prospurr4

I'm texlaxed and used to do twistouts often. After cowashing, I would add some Giovanni Direct Leave-in and seal with castor oil. Then I airdry in 10 individual twists, with drinking straw-pieces on the ends. After my hair is COMPLETELY dry, I gently separate the twists and finger-style.

I prefer my twistouts with definition but without too much shrikage. Here's a pic of the last time I did one:

Mine last for only 1 day, though, because I don't want to re-twist every night. So, I just wear updos for the rest of the week, like this:

Bun Mistress

I have been doing twist and briadouts for almost three years. I don't think that the product matters as much as rebraids at night. You can use diluted setting lotion for extra hold. I just use water and oil to rebraid and a little hawanii sliky but that is just for moisture. I would look at Zane and Rob's website for information too.

ericajoy

I never thought of using setting lotion but I'm going to try that. And Prospurr4, omg, I loooove your twistout.

Oh and Bun Mistress, that's a good point about rebraiding. I have to stop being lazy and do that.

Any other product/technique suggestions? This is really helpful!

Anne26

panda
My hair is natural but with a loose curl. I co-wash a lot so I don't know if holds many days. What I do is a creamy leave-in with protein, and hard hold gel. But mostly just the leave-in works because the protein gives my hair some hold.

kupenda

I use a lil taliah waajid bodifier when I'm making the bantu knots on dry hair. And that's it

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sunnieb

I use my regular leave-ins after a wash/cowash (ORS Carrot Oil, NTM Silk Touch, and Rusk Smoother), airdry for 30 minutes and do 4 braids while my hair is damp. In the morning, I undo the braids and fluff. Sylver2 also had the great idea to just re-braid the bottom of your hair to keep definition longer.

Here are my pics:

shasha8685

For bantu knot outs, I use a little bit of moisturizer and a light hold gel (I'm trying to use up this gel I got from a local vendor but it's aloe vera based).

For braid outs, I just use Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Conditioning Milk. I make sure to rebraid nightly :yep:

hothair

I use Giovanni direct and then a butter to seal, whipped shea butter, or Avo-coco butter. It lasts a couple of days.

janeemat

I wore braidouts a couple of years ago and quit since I thought it was too much manipulation since I would have to rebraid at night to keep the look. Well the past week I decided to try them again since I need a break from rollersetting. I washed and condtioned my hair as normal. For my leave ins I chose to use Salerm leave in and Chi mist (forgot the name of it). I let my air dry until it was a little damp and did 2 cornrow braids in the front and 3 regular plaits in the back. I rolled the ends to give it some definition. I have to redo it at night, but I mist it with a little water mixed with Chi silk infusion and the Chi mist. I also put a little oil on the ends before I roll the braids. So far so good. I'm going to see if I can get a pic to post.

Solitude

I've tried a variety of products over the years.

A lotion-type leave in, sealed with oil gives a nice hold and shine. I currently use Hairveda Whipped Cream and Vatika frosting.

MJ curly meringue gives awesome hold, but it can be drying. I like MJ stretch silkening cream, too.

taz007

For my twist outs, I use my regular leave ins (Joico reconstructor spray, Redken AntiSnap and Mizani Nightime H20 although I have been using Mango Butter lately :lick:).

As for the upkeep, I just roll the ends with perm rods as I am too lazy to rebraid.

Here are some pictures from 1-2 years ago:

gabulldawg

I wash or cowash my hair, then use some type of leave in conditioner, followed by moisturizer, then oil. I use the Sally's Generic version of Maxtrix Sleek.Look Extreme Styling Creme. It does a great job of keeping a style without leaving it hard. I usually do about 4 flat twists with sponge roller on ends. My twistouts can last up to a week if I'm good about maintaining. And I never retwist. :nono:

frizzy

Shea butter and a completely dried wet-set gives me great definition for my twist outs. Make sure your hair is really moisturized so that it will not pull moisture from the air, that will cause frizz.

Leslie_C

A setting foam like Elasta QP works well as a setting lotion.

I also like mixing SHea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie with eco styler gel (1 part smoothie to 2 parts gel). I have relaxed ends and this gave me definition that lasted about 3 days without retwisting (on the 3rd day I wore it up though). This mix gives a very soft, touchable hold that lasts.