Relaxed Hair Thread

Started feeling hair lazy, but forced myself to go ahead and clarify, shampoo, and now I'm sitting with some Motions CPR (mixed w/Honey & EVOO). I'll let it sit for an hour.

No turning back now! :giggle:

@Mahsiah

It would have, but I was doing so flippin' much that i ended up with damage and had to chop it off the third time I cut it. The first two times it grew out nicely.

Guess who has moisture overload????

This blog post was waiting to happen during my 2 year hair journey anniversary. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Anyone use Mizani Butter Blends with success? Do you use mild or normal?

Can someone point me to a good self-relaxing technique. I seen Just Grow Already's but I know that wouldn't work for me. I need either an all-over relax at once method or a half & half side to side method vs. front and back.

Can someone point me to a good self-relaxing technique. I seen Just Grow Already's but I know that wouldn't work for me. I need either an all-over relax at once method or a half & half side to side method vs. front and back.

I use Mizani Butter Blends regular with success:yep:
I would highly recommend it (so long as you do it properly as it can leave you underprocessed - which I guess would be excellent if you wanted texlaxed results).

I use Mizani Butter Blends regular with success:yep: I would highly recommend it (so long as you do it properly as it can leave you underprocessed - which I guess would be excellent if you wanted texlaxed results).

this is good info for me.
i want to relax but leaving a bit of texture... i dont feel like really texlaxing as it will force me to straighten my hair.
im confused. i need to relax not bone straight and with sole texture for thickness.

what should i ask the salon in my case?

I split my hair in half ( down the middle), then part in three equal sections on each side.

I use duck clips to separate each section. This way allows me to apply and smooth each section quickly.

Also it enables me to apply to my ccourser areas first ( my crown).

I use Mizani Butter Blends regular with success:yep:
I would highly recommend it (so long as you do it properly as it can leave you underprocessed - which I guess would be excellent if you wanted texlaxed results).
Nix08, I guess under is better than over. What's your smoothing method? Hands or.comb?

I split my hair in half ( down the middle), then part in three equal sections on each side.

I use duck clips to separate each section. This way allows me to apply and smooth each section quickly.

Also it enables me to apply to my ccourser areas first ( my crown).
brownb83, back in the day, I only used 4 sections. So you're using 6 total? How long.does it take you to apply and how long do you smooth? Do you smooth with hands or comb?

divachyk I smooth with my hands.
And just a note, I have 5 or so sections but within each section I sometimes pre part using those metal clips to hold them.

divachyk I do 5 parts because I section out my crown. That area needs a longer processing time. For years that area had short/broken hair I think because it was often underprocessed. So now I start at the crown and go backwards then do the front (which is sectioned in a left and right side).

Anyone use Mizani Butter Blends with success? Do you use mild or normal? Can someone point me to a good self-relaxing technique. I seen Just Grow Already's but I know that wouldn't work for me. I need either an all-over relax at once method or a half & half side to side method vs. front and back.

You should read me "Relaxer" posts. I have the one before my most recent that I believe is pretty thorough, I also have a video on it (not that great) on you tube and I used thee mizani butter blends.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nix08, I guess under is better than over. What's your smoothing method? Hands or.comb?

brownb83, back in the day, I only used 4 sections. So you're using 6 total? How long.does it take you to apply and how long do you smooth? Do you smooth with hands or comb?

It takes me about 10 mins to apply. And I smooth with my hands. I do the middle section 1st then the back then the front last.

I can quickly part each section in half and smooth. My problem with the 4 part way was I never could smooth thoroughly.

With the six sections I can see the progress better.

this is good info for me.
i want to relax but leaving a bit of texture... i dont feel like really texlaxing as it will force me to straighten my hair.
im confused. i need to relax not bone straight and with sole texture for thickness.

what should i ask the salon in my case?

coolsista-paris I would tell the stylist exactly that. You want a very slight texture to remain but don't want to be texlaxed.
Maybe applying the relaxer without smoothing would give you your desired result. Hopefully others will chime in.

Gonna do a final rinse with grape seed oil today. The naptural85 hair and body oil was a bit heavy last time. Hopefully the grape seed will be a little lighter.

SuchaLady, I've done it that way before (back in the day.) The most attractive method thus far is sunnieb's. I'm waiting for her to chime in. It seems like a lot of work on the front end but saves time when applying the relaxer.

You know my relaxer didn't go great the last time. I had tons of breakage at home. I attribute it to several things but the main thing is me not using protein. I basically let her relax, neutralize and I went home. At home, I neutralized again and went straight to DCing. #mistake! I got upset and said I wasn't returning to that stylist but I'm now weighing all options.

Here are my options I'm considering:

1) return to same stylist, ask her not to smooth the hair as much, let her protein treat me with my protein (AO GPB), neutralize me, I go home re-neutralize and complete regi.

2)return to same stylist, ask her to use a different relaxer other than Design Essentials, let her protein treat me with my protein (AO GPB), neutralize me, I go home re-neutralize and complete regi.

3)go to the stylist I went to way, way back in the day that's like pure awesomeness but she doesn't accept suggestions from anybody for any reason because she's the master stylist. :ohwell:

4)self-relax

Option 1 & 2: I really enjoy being with a stylist that listens. However, I'm unsure why I've been experiencing issues with her lately. First it began with protein overload (2 relaxers ago). Last time was breakage (past relaxer).

Option 3: Least desirable because I'm a little prideful plus I don't miss the I'm the expert attitude.

Option 4: I'm just not sure I want the headache. Relaxers are nothing to play with! I just don't feel up to the trial & error and inconsistent textures that may result.

I just watched a YT video of a girl whose dermatologist told her to get a relaxer. I absolutely love relaxed hair but I'm not sure how I feel about that doctor right now :look:

Back