Relaxed Hair Thread

sunnieb

Found a cute hair toy last night at Walgreens for 75% off! :yay: I'm wearing my same hairstyle, it's good to give the flexi-8 clips a rest.

ForumRunner_20120516_133556.jpg

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120516_133642.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_133642.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 29

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I REALLY like that clip @sunnieb....no walgreens here but I'm going to keep my eye out for one of those for sure.:yep:

Also a protein lover here! I mix up my proteins but I only use reconstructors no aphogee or any strong stuff like that for me:nono:

KhandiB

Nix08 - I think Aphogee 2 minute is more like a reconstructor -
I dont use anything that will make my head hard,lol

I REALLY like that clip @sunnieb....no walgreens here but I'm going to keep my eye out for one of those for sure.:yep:

Also a protein lover here! I mix up my proteins but I only use reconstructors no aphogee or any strong stuff like that for me:nono:

jazzybklyn

bebezazueta said:
jazzbklyn where have you been hiding all that BEAUTIFUL HAIR! Or maybe I just missed it? I am a Mizani Butter Blends girl too! KUTGW!

Loll thank you! (blush) I'm kinda new
Yea I searched like crazy on here. One of your posts swayed me in the mizani bb direction also your hair is so shiny! :yep:

sckri23

I can't wait to use my ORS HAIR MAYO but I have to finish my Cantu leave in mix I think ima double my co-washes and apply the leave in after each on friday and I should be done

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

afrochique

Any long stretchers?
I am 22 wks post with a minimum of 4 to go. I usually stretch at least 6 mths and will make more effort to post pictures. I am trying to regrow my edges after some cornrows did them wrong in March. JBCO is really helping.
HHG.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I called myself trying to read through this thread, thats some bologna. I went from page 9 to 19 and IDK what happened. I aint going back I refuse.

I am 16 weeks and 4 days post, not sure when I will relax but I will. If I start having a hard time dealing with my hair I am going to stop right then and there.

I will be going to texlax whenever I do relax again though.

la mosca

Any long stretchers?
I am 22 wks post with a minimum of 4 to go. I usually stretch at least 6 mths and will make more effort to post pictures. I am trying to regrow my edges after some cornrows did them wrong in March. JBCO is really helping.
HHG.

For the past 1.5 years or so, I have been relaxing every 6 or 7 months. The condition of my hair has improved so much since I made that change. I will be 23 weeks post on Saturday, and I'm planning to relax in about 10 weeks.

Britt

GoddessMaker are you using a good poo, conditioner, and leave in that agree with your hair? I think it's vital to find a system that works with your hair and deep condition def ups your moisture levels in a way that a regular moisturizer does not - IMO. I think the foundation of moisturized hair starts with your washing process, the extra moisturizers you use during the week should only compliment or be like an added touch. There is a difference between moisturized and greasy hair. Find out what your hair likes. You might have hair that soaks up product really easily. Idk, from all my years of being relaxed tho and seeing relaxed heads, I find that it's easy for hair to be weighed down and greasy and not be properly moisturized. I know my hair is moisturized from the moment I wash out my deep conditioners, it feels soft, pliable, moist, and smooth - if it does not, I trash the products b/c that means it didn't work for me and do it's job. It usually stays that way all throughout the week until my next wash.

la mosca, I myself am trying to stretch my relaxers more. My last relaxer was at 13 wks b/c I was going on vacay and didn't really want to be bothered with my hair and new growth, prior to that - the past 2 relaxers were at 16 wks. What is your hair regimen when you are stretching? How do you wear your hair? And how often do you wash/cowash?

LifeafterLHCF

Brittster I'm developing a system from items I used while natural.I will keep all the info you listed in mind.Any lady here texlaxed? I ask bc my relaxer didn't go bonestraight and sorta like it a bit. But I may correc relax if my rollerset doesn't work.

la mosca

la mosca, I myself am trying to stretch my relaxers more. My last relaxer was at 13 wks b/c I was going on vacay and didn't really want to be bothered with my hair and new growth, prior to that - the past 2 relaxers were at 16 wks. What is your hair regimen when you are stretching? How do you wear your hair? And how often do you wash/cowash?

I've been wearing my hair in air-dried roller sets. My hair gets smooth that way, and it stretches out my new growth (which is key for me in preventing matting, knots, and tangles). I wash 2 or 3 times a week.

My regimen has been pretty much the same since I began the long stretches. I prepoo with coconut oil for at least an hour, then I shampoo with Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo. Then I do a quick protein treatment in the shower with Nexxus Emergencee (my hair loves it), do an oil rinse with a couple of teaspoons of jojoba, and then condition with Silicon Mix (which gives my hair tons of slip). I detangle my hair with the Ouidad Double Detangler comb while the conditioner is in my hair. Then I rinse and apply a capful of aloe vera juice. I leave that in, and then I also apply a small amount of the Silicon Mix as leave in.

I comb through once more with the Double Detangler, and then I remove shed hair with the Tangle Teezer. (Tons of people hate it, but it has changed my life :lol:). At this point, my hair is so detangled and slippery that I can -- with care -- roller set my hair smoothly using large magnetic rollers and a fine toothed comb.

I air dry for about 4 or 5 hours, and when I take down my hair, it is in large, loose curls and flicks. I finger comb to style.

My hair has grown tons and gained so much thickness and shine following this regimen. I trimmed off a lot of old ends from before I started following this process, and now my hair is pretty thick (for a fine-haired girl, anyway) from root to tip.

ETA: A couple of other things that have really helped me are argan oil -- a few drops make my hair feel so soft and silky -- and taking silica and MSM (which has made my new growth grow in much more manageable, shiny, and seemingly moisturized).

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I wash 2 or 3 times a week.

My regimen has been pretty much the same since I began the long stretches. I prepoo with coconut oil for at least an hour, then I shampoo with Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo. Then I do a quick protein treatment in the shower with Nexxus Emergencee (my hair loves it), do an oil rinse with a couple of teaspoons of jojoba, and then condition with Silicon Mix (which gives my hair tons of slip). I detangle my hair with the Ouidad Double Detangler comb while the conditioner is in my hair. Then I rinse and apply a capful of aloe vera juice. I leave that in, and then I also apply a small amount of the Silicon Mix as leave in.

I comb through once more with the Double Detangler, and then I remove shed hair with the Tangle Teezer. (Tons of people hate it, but it has changed my life :lol:). At this point, my hair is so detangled and slippery that I can -- with care -- roller set my hair smoothly using large magnetic rollers and a fine toothed comb.

My hair has grown tons and gained so much thickness and shine following this regimen. I trimmed off a lot of old ends from before I started following this process, and now my hair is pretty thick (for a fine-haired girl, anyway) from root to tip.

la mosca
Do you do the WHOLE process 2-3x/wk?
I want to start doing HOT/Prepoo's with just oil...Will try it this weekend.
I love the Nexxus Emergencee also, never though about using it weekly. I can see how it helps with your long stretches though.
I remember ppl hating the TT but I wasnt sure why, I love it. I used it last weekend and lost minimal hair.
I hope to get that thickness also

OT: Were you in Houston like 2 years or so back?

la mosca

la mosca
Do you do the WHOLE process 2-3x/wk?
I want to start doing HOT/Prepoo's with just oil...Will try it this weekend.
I love the Nexxus Emergencee also, never though about using it weekly. I can see how it helps with your long stretches though.
I remember ppl hating the TT but I wasnt sure why, I love it. I used it last weekend and lost minimal hair.
I hope to get that thickness also

OT: Were you in Houston like 2 years or so back?

Yes, I do the whole process that often. (I work out a lot, and I can't stand it when my hair feels sweaty and dirty.) The process is so automatic to me now that it goes pretty quickly. I don't mind sleeping in my rollers while my hair is still drying, either. I just tie a silk scarf over them.

ETA: I usually double-task by doing the pre-poo while working out.

You're right; I lived in Houston for 7 years before we moved to Kazakhstan last year. It's a great city. I really miss it!

Last edited:

KhandiB

Ive been wanting to try doing this.. Worried my hair will look poofy..

I've been wearing my hair in air-dried roller sets. My hair gets smooth that way, and it stretches out my new growth (which is key for me in preventing matting, knots, and tangles). I wash 2 or 3 times a week.

I air dry for about 4 or 5 hours, and when I take down my hair, it is in large, loose curls and flicks. I finger comb to style.

ETA: A couple of other things that have really helped me are argan oil -- a few drops make my hair feel so soft and silky -- and taking silica and MSM (which has made my new growth grow in much more manageable, shiny, and seemingly moisturized).

la mosca

Ive been wanting to try doing this.. Worried my hair will look poofy..

It can be . . . voluminous sometimes. :lol: Especially now that I'm 5 months post-relaxer. But I try to make the volume work for me by doing styles that look cute with extra volume, like pinning back the front and leaving the rest my hair down. I do a lot of romantic, bouffant-ish buns, too.

beloved1bx

My hair is being a punk. LoL.

I probably should say such things because i'm sure she can hear me, but it's true. For the past month it's just been so blah. I'll pre-poo, DC for like 40 mins, and when I rinse it out it's just not feeling like anything special. I tried my Silicon Mix last week and it's like it never happened. My hair just felt 'eh'. I don't even remember what having slip feels like. I'll moisturize and seal at night, sometimes baggy, and halfway thru the next day my hair feels dry, whereas before the moisture used to last much longer. Idk, what's going on. I think i'm going to buy some aloe vera juice and try that.

Britt

la mosca, wow @ your rollersetting so often! Do you do a full head mohawk style rollerset several times a week? Also, are you using mesh rollers to help you with the drying? I feel you on the working out and sweaty hair. I just like fresh clean hair. I prefer my hair when it's rollersetted honestly but I just can't do it more than once a week and go under the dryer for about 1 hour.

sunnieb

Cowashed/airdried tonight. Put my hair in 2 twists as an experiment to sleep in.

Will see how my hair turns out in the morning. I'm hoping for a soft, slight wave. :yep:

ForumRunner_20120517_212534.jpg

la mosca

la mosca, wow @ your rollersetting so often! Do you do a full head mohawk style rollerset several times a week? Also, are you using mesh rollers to help you with the drying? I feel you on the working out and sweaty hair. I just like fresh clean hair. I prefer my hair when it's rollersetted honestly but I just can't do it more than once a week and go under the dryer for about 1 hour.

Yes, I do a full head mohawk rollerset 2 or 3 times a week. (These days, it's usually twice a week, but if I have time, I'll fit in a third one.) I use magnetic rollers and metal clips. They take a while to dry, but I get a really smooth result. I've gotten used to sleeping in them, too.

Because I do it so often, I'm really fast. It takes me no more than 20-30 minutes to do a full head mohawk, and I don't even need a mirror to do it.

Even last night, I was taking my time setting my hair and and at the same time nursing DS (who has a cold and is super-clingy right now) while sitting on my bed with no mirror and surfing the internet, and I still got my hair set in about 50 minutes. (It was a ridiculous sight, I'm sure, but I got it done :lol:.)

afrochique

I probably should say such things because i'm sure she can hear me, but it's true. For the past month it's just been so blah. I'll pre-poo, DC for like 40 mins, and when I rinse it out it's just not feeling like anything special. I tried my Silicon Mix last week and it's like it never happened. My hair just felt 'eh'. I don't even remember what having slip feels like. I'll moisturize and seal at night, sometimes baggy, and halfway thru the next day my hair feels dry, whereas before the moisture used to last much longer. Idk, what's going on. I think i'm going to buy some aloe vera juice and try that.

May I ask how often you clarify?

la mosca

la mosca: Have you considered co-washing after workouts? It still gets your hair clean and I see it as a good way to add moisture during long stretches.

I tried co-washing a couple of years ago with various conditioners, but my hair seems to prefer a gentle, non-stripping shampoo (like Neutrogena NTM) to co-washing. (My hair is very fine, and co-washing always seemed to weigh it down and leave it a little dull.) Once I found the right shampoo for my hair, I found that my hair remained very moisturized.

KhandiB

I feel you on this beloved1bx !

My hair is behaving badly,besides a couple of good braidouts, ever since I relaxed (Im convinced it was expired) I have been extremely disappointed.

Im thinking of re-relaxing soon...

Britt

Yes, I do a full head mohawk rollerset 2 or 3 times a week. (These days, it's usually twice a week, but if I have time, I'll fit in a third one.) I use magnetic rollers and metal clips. They take a while to dry, but I get a really smooth result. I've gotten used to sleeping in them, too.

Because I do it so often, I'm really fast. It takes me no more than 20-30 minutes to do a full head mohawk, and I don't even need a mirror to do it.

Even last night, I was taking my time setting my hair and and at the same time nursing DS (who has a cold and is super-clingy right now) while sitting on my bed with no mirror and surfing the internet, and I still got my hair set in about 50 minutes. (It was a ridiculous sight, I'm sure, but I got it done :lol:.)

:notworthy - I can't believe you're a mom and still able to fit all that in. The workouts and the rollersetting of the hair - amazing! Def motivating. To the bolded and underlined - I hear you, I truly believe rollersetting is best for relaxed hair whether you airdry it or not. The fact that the hair is kept smooth and slick makes all the difference.

@la mosca: Have you considered co-washing after workouts? It still gets your hair clean and I see it as a good way to add moisture during long stretches.

I tried co-washing a couple of years ago with various conditioners, but my hair seems to prefer a gentle, non-stripping shampoo (like Neutrogena NTM) to co-washing. (My hair is very fine, and co-washing always seemed to weigh it down and leave it a little dull.) Once I found the right shampoo for my hair, I found that my hair remained very moisturized.

Same here, I prefer to poo. I use non sulfate poos, and I'll use one that doesn't strip my hair, cause some sulfate free poos will def strip your hair. I rather poo once and f/u w/ conditioner than to cowash.

sunnieb

Twist experiment = fail

Wearing a ponytail today to cover up the weird "pattern" the twists left in my hair.

Raspberry

I'm starting to prefer the look of my blown out hair over the super straight flat iron look. I like the thickness and body of a blow out, it hangs better so I'm not as self-conscious, plus people are less apt to think it's a weave lol.

beloved1bx

@afrochique I shampoo with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo about every 2, sometimes 3, weeks. I know it's a chelating shampoo, but I think it can count as a clarifying shampoo too, right? Otherwise I use Elasta QP conditioning poo, which I know doesn't have any sulfates.

I sprayed my hair with aloe vera juice last night. While my hair does feel softer this morning, somehow it's still not feeling all that moisturized. Or not as much as I know it could be. My hair also doesn't feel very smooth when I run my hands through it either. I guess it could be a porosity issue, but i have a bottle of porosity control, and when I used it I don't think it really did anything. If anything I think it made my hair feel a little worse after. Def no where near the silky smooth feeling others have described.

KhandiB what relaxer do you use?