Relaxed Hair Thread

irisak

I bought some old favorites on Amazon and can't remember why I stopped using them. Alter ego and salerm 21 are the ish! I just wish I could get them on the ground.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
xu93texas, your avi! :thud: I was going back through some of my old photos for inspiration and I definitely had more swag when I had my hair shaped/cut. With it being longer, I've gotten lazy and while that's ok too, I definitely lack the hair swag that I once had.

Last edited:

sunnieb

divachyk I've never tried the knockoff line since Nexxus is so readily available. Matter of fact, I just bought another big bottle of Humectress from Costco today. :yep:

xu93texas

xu93texas, your siggy! :thud: I was going back through some of my old photos for inspiration and I definitely had more swag when I had my hair shaped/cut. With it being longer, I've gotten lazy and while that's ok too, I definitely lack the hair swag that I once had.

Thank you:)

I can't wait to get some length like you so I can try to duplicate some of your luscious buns/updo's.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
xu93texas, thank you doll :blowkiss:

sunnieb Saludable84, the ingredients on knockoffs sometimes differ. If I'm not mistaken, they differ on the GVP Conditioning Balm (knockoff Matrix Biolage) but I love it. I don't have Nexxus available nearby so, knockoffs is my quickest option.

Evolving78

I bought some old favorites on Amazon and can't remember why I stopped using them. Alter ego and salerm 21 are the ish! I just wish I could get them on the ground.
Dominican products are awesome! Just shampooed with silicon mix Bambo! Dancing in the shower! Put my silicon mix on and I'm about to sit under this dryer for 20 mins! Felt so good and creamy going on. I like to put my conditioners on dripping wet hair. It just distributes better and you use less product. I am going to try to cornrow my hair neatly. Normally, when I do them it looks so jailhouse.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Oh word, I have to go to Walgreen's tonight and will check sunnieb. TY

Yeah, I was originally gonna go to walgreens or Duane reade because they are closest to me. I only went to ulta because I have one nearby now and I wanted the large bottles. Amazon sold them for a good price but I'm not going to be home Monday to bother with shipping.

irisak

Dominican products are awesome! Just shampooed with silicon mix Bambo! Dancing in the shower! Put my silicon mix on and I'm about to sit under this dryer for 20 mins! Felt so good and creamy going on. I like to put my conditioners on dripping wet hair. It just distributes better and you use less product. I am going to try to cornrow my hair neatly. Normally, when I do them it looks so jailhouse.

I tried silicon mix shampoo and didn't really like it. I found it too stripping and I love for my hair to be clean so that's really saying somethin. I adore the conditioners though. I used the bambu formula forever. Is the bambu shampoo less drying?

Babygrowth

Aren't they GREAT? I bought the alter ego to help halt post partum shedding and whatever is in salerm 21 makes my hair feel like silk!

Me too! My DD is almost 12 weeks and I just started noticing more shedding. That Salerm 21 is :love: I like to use it when I flat iron or set.

irisak

Me too! My DD is almost 12 weeks and I just started noticing more shedding. That Salerm 21 is :love: I like to use it when I flat iron or set.

Congrats on the little one! I had a loss at 30 weeks in April. My hormones are finally starting to balance out but the shedding was a beast and my edges had some breakage.

Evolving78

I tried silicon mix shampoo and didn't really like it. I found it too stripping and I love for my hair to be clean so that's really saying somethin. I adore the conditioners though. I used the bambu formula forever. Is the bambu shampoo less drying?
it wasn't drying at all! My hair was clean though. It is more pearl like and has different ingredients than the original.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Congrats on the little one! I had a loss at 30 weeks in April. My hormones are finally starting to balance out but the shedding was a beast and my edges had some breakage.

OMG. I'm so sorry to hear that and sorry for your loss. I definitely hope you try again.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane

Sorry for your loss. Prayers and healing to you and your family.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Murqui

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post even though I’ve been a member here since ~2008:perplexed. I am posting because I need some advice. Thanks to all of you ladies, my hair has thrived for the past few years and is currently the longest and healthiest it has ever been. I do a good enough job taking care of my hair on my own, but I am dependent on salons for relaxers. I absolutely love my stylist, but I had an awful experience today. As she was overbooked (as usual), she had her mother (also a stylist in their home salon) do my set after she applied my relaxer. I felt like I was in a horror movie. She started detangling my hair in the back and kept referring to the fact that it was very knotted. When she got to the front of my hair, I realized what she was doing. She would get down to the knot and start ripping out my hair. I don’t think I’ve lost that much hair over the past 13 weeks since my last relaxer. I swear I went blind when I saw the clump of hair. I asked her to be more gentle and she was better, but still not what I'm used to. While the end result looked okay, I’m pissed! I am now at a crossroads: do I tell the daughter that only she can touch my hair or do I learn to relax my own hair. I figure that if I can operate on patients I should be able to put a relaxer in my hair. My stylist uses Paul Mitchell relaxer which my hair absolutely loves and if I self relax, I would like to continue this. Have any of you ladies been able to purchase salon products without a cosmetology license? Also, am I over exaggerating and being too sensitive? I have attached some pictures of my hair journey and my hair today. I'm an extremely slow grower...

Pic #1 - January 2013

Pic #2 - May 2013

Pic #3 - August 2013

Pic #4 - Today

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 116

Babygrowth

Murqui your hair is gorgeous! But as for her mom she would never touch my hair again. You like your stylist because she is gentle and she listens keep her because that's hard to find! You might be able to find your relaxer online if you can't get it in store or ask your stylist to get it for you. If you do decide to self relax we got your back and its not that hard. Lots of practice with thick Deep Conditioner's will help.

missyrayne19

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post even though I’ve been a member here since ~2008:perplexed. I am posting because I need some advice. Thanks to all of you ladies, my hair has thrived for the past few years and is currently the longest and healthiest it has ever been. I do a good enough job taking care of my hair on my own, but I am dependent on salons for relaxers. I absolutely love my stylist, but I had an awful experience today. As she was overbooked (as usual), she had her mother (also a stylist in their home salon) do my set after she applied my relaxer. I felt like I was in a horror movie. She started detangling my hair in the back and kept referring to the fact that it was very knotted. When she got to the front of my hair, I realized what she was doing. She would get down to the knot and start ripping out my hair. I don’t think I’ve lost that much hair over the past 13 weeks since my last relaxer. I swear I went blind when I saw the clump of hair. I asked her to be more gentle and she was better, but still not what I'm used to. While the end result looked okay, I’m pissed! I am now at a crossroads: do I tell the daughter that only she can touch my hair or do I learn to relax my own hair. I figure that if I can operate on patients I should be able to put a relaxer in my hair. My stylist uses Paul Mitchell relaxer which my hair absolutely loves and if I self relax, I would like to continue this. Have any of you ladies been able to purchase salon products without a cosmetology license? Also, am I over exaggerating and being too sensitive? I have attached some pictures of my hair journey and my hair today. I'm an extremely slow grower...

Pic #1 - January 2013

Pic #2 - May 2013

Pic #3 - August 2013

Pic #4 - Today

Hi! As a fellow slow grower, I can totally relate and sympathize. I can't afford setbacks because I only grow 4 inches a year :grin: so I definitely know where you're coming from. I started self-relaxing my hair a little over a year ago and it's been the best thing I could have done to my hair. That was the only reason I was going to the salon (for touch ups) and it's been amazing having the freedom to do my hair myself 100%. The only time I go to the salon is when I want to treat myself (very rare). My reason for leaving is a little different than yours. My stylist is great, just scissor happy. I use the exact same relaxer system he uses (Mizani Butter Blends). I order my relaxer and neutralizing shampoo off of Amazon and haven't had a problem not being a cosmetologist.

But at the same time, self-relaxing isn't for everyone either. If you're happy overall with your stylist, then I would recommend just talking to her first and telling her what you've told us. If she wants to keep you as a client and is into healthy hair, she'll listen and do what you ask. You know her best. If you don't think she'll adhere to your request then, yes, I say give self-relaxing a shot.

And girl, no, you are not over-reacting. I'm sure you've put in too much work, blood, and tears to get your hair where it's at. You gotta do what's best for your hair, regardless of what others may think or say.