Relaxed Hair Thread

quirkydimples

Saludable84

Thanks, but that's been 5 or six years ago. It's all grown out now and it's not serous enough for me to mess up my progress (now that I finally have some). Plus...I'm too lazy too keep it up...lol.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have a question. Do you ladies think I should go to the salon for a Virgin relaxer or could I do it myself?

SlimPickinz, like for real, I know stylists get a bad review on many things and sometimes it's rightfully so. However, if you're not comfy with relaxing then you can cause a lot of harm to your hair. I'm salon relaxed though so my views my differ from most. I just believe a stylist can see & navigate better than I can.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I have a question. Do you ladies think I should go to the salon for a Virgin relaxer or could I do it myself?

I think it's possible to do yourself; but when I went back to a relaxer, I went to a salon. Now that I know how to self-relax, I would probably just self-relax.

Have you self-relax before. If not, youtuber jenichris and shorty2sweet59 were my go to on how to self-relax.

Good Luck with your decision!!!

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Realistically I would love to go to my old hair dresser for her to relax my hair. But the shop she worked at shut down and I don't know where she is. My mom won't relax it cause it's too "long" and her hair dresser is sketchy. She seems like the type to mess up my do on purpose.

I know if I practice with conditioner I will eventually be able to do it. I just wanted everyone's opinion if it was a good idea. I do agree with Divachyk though. I'll have to set up 3 mirrors to ensure I don't miss any spots.

greenandchic

@ SlimPickinz I saw someone on YouTube once (don't remember who) say she practiced with conditioner before self relaxing. Makes sense to get comfortable with how you want to part your hair, and apply the product. I would think it would also help you learn how to avoid irritating your scalp as you move along, not to mention how to do it in a timely manner. I had shoulder length natural hair and let a stylist relax it, but I could have (and wish I would have) done it myself. Although, my hair would have been damaged anyway because my natural hair had been colored (golden brown highlights...oh how I miss them). You know what they say: Don't relax color.

I self relax and learned a lot a lessons from the first time I did my virgin hair back in December. I will do a touch up tomorrow at 16 weeks post. I wouldn't relax color. I thought about doing color instead of relaxing and decided to relax my hair. My hair is actually textlax and the ends are slightly under processed but I'm just going to continue to trim until that grows out.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

divachyk

Realistically I would love to go to my old hair dresser for her to relax my hair. But the shop she worked at shut down and I don't know where she is. My mom won't relax it cause it's too "long" and her hair dresser is sketchy. She seems like the type to mess up my do on purpose.

I know if I practice with conditioner I will eventually be able to do it. I just wanted everyone's opinion if it was a good idea. I do agree with Divachyk though. I'll have to set up 3 mirrors to ensure I don't miss any spots.

Self-relaxing is beneficial but it's not for me at this present point in my life and it's not for everybody SlimPickinz. I have, however, self-relaxed before. I did it for many years. Truth be told, I overlapped and mishandled my hair, yet it thrived. I look back and wonder how I kept hair on my head. Do whichever options makes you feel the most comfy.

With your mom's stylist, at what point in the process do you feel she will intentionally mess up your hair? I have gone to the salon for a relaxer/protein only and I've finished the rest (detangle/DC/style) at home.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
My mother's stylist just seems dishonest IMO, I don't like her. Plus I don't like the amount of heat she applies to the hair for a simple wash & set. My mom's new hair(her hair falls out constantly due to her lupus) is super silky. I can get it straight with a blow dryer and a brush. But her hair dresser makes her sit under the dryer for 70 minutes then blow dries it. Completely unnecessary & I'm heat trained :lol: so I love heat.

And she doesnt like that I won't answer her in Spanish when she speaks to me. She's also upset that I said she could upgrade her business if she stopped letting her customers pay on loan. Yes that was rude of me but she annoyed me that day. My mom has known this lady since I was in elementary school. I don't like her.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
My mom got frustrated from detangling her hair tonight and cut half her hair thinking the comb would glide thru better. Smh I keep telling her this journey takes a lot of patience to be successful. Now she is back at square one. Sigh

ForumRunner_20140817_230429.jpg

Fotchygirl

My mom got frustrated from detangling her hair tonight and cut half her hair thinking the comb would glide thru better. Smh I keep telling her this journey takes a lot of patience to be successful. Now she is back at square one. Sigh

View attachment 273211
Oh no Mommy! I feel her though cos I'm also frustrated with mine. I'm relaxed but my sisters are calling me a "sista" since my hair looks natural. They keep encouraging me to just blowdry it so that it can look sleeker. Do you ladies think I'm overdoing it by only limiting my blowdrying to relaxer days?

Guinan

Re-Branding
Oh no Mommy! I feel her though cos I'm also frustrated with mine. I'm relaxed but my sisters are calling me a "sista" since my hair looks natural. They keep encouraging me to just blowdry it so that it can look sleeker. Do you ladies think I'm overdoing it by only limiting my blowdrying to relaxer days?

I don't think so. Me personally, I would primarily only use heat when I was about to relax. I would blow-dry & straighten 1 to 2 weeks prior to relaxing and then after I would relax I would blow-dry and straighten. For me, blow-drying can wreck havoc on my hair. To help prevent the damage of a blow-dryer, I would let my hair air-dry to about 90% and then blow-dry, w/ a heat protectant.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!

Lol @ 'sista'
I only blowdry on relaxer days as well.

greenandchic

I did a TU Friday at 16 weeks post. I'm still deciding, but I don't think I will wait this long again. Currently wearing my hair out in a Bantu knot out but will go back to PS at the end of the week.

KERC1974

I did a TU Friday at 16 weeks post. I'm still deciding, but I don't think I will wait this long again. Currently wearing my hair out in a Bantu knot out but will go back to PS at the end of the week. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I relaxed last Thursday at 16 weeks as well and I will not be waiting that long again because I did not retain enough of the 2.5 inches gained due to breakage... :( To think I was going to push it to 5 months..

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

divachyk

No, you will be fine Fotchygirl

I relaxed last Thursday at 16 weeks as well and I will not be waiting that long again because I did not retain enough of the 2.5 inches gained due to breakage... :( To think I was going to push it to 5 months..

Sorry to hear that KERC1974. Was the breakage during the stretch or during TU? I stretched to 16 once. Never again. Breakage galore.

Ms. Tiki

I did a TU Friday at 16 weeks post. I'm still deciding, but I don't think I will wait this long again. Currently wearing my hair out in a Bantu knot out but will go back to PS at the end of the week.

greenandchic I've stretched up to 26 weeks but I can't do that again. Sometimes stretching is not beneficial. Right now my hair is starting to tangle which is a sign for me that it's time to texlax and I'm at 13 weeks. I was going to last week but decided against it b/c I will wigging it for a bit and braiding my hair down. So, it doesn't make sense for me to texlax right now. Otherwise, I would be whipping out the texlaxer and fighting through my new growth. :lol:

KERC1974

No, you will be fine Fotchygirl Sorry to hear that KERC1974. Was the breakage during the stretch or during TU? I stretched to 16 once. Never again. Breakage galore.
Breakage galore is right! The breakage was during the stretch. I have been rocking 3 textures for almost a year so it's been a little challenging with the tangling and matting but what I ultimately needed was more protein.... Ending up trimming at 15 weeks and relaxing at 16.

Jobwright

For the last 3-4 weeks, I have been doing a Aphogee 2 minute with each wash. No protein overload and my hair seems to love it. I don't know what's up with that... I had always been afraid of protein but for whatever reason, it is working well.

halfindian

Bought some pillow satin rollers. This was done on dry hair with a creme leave in on freshly relaxed hair. Left overnight to dry.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140830.JPG
    Snapshot_20140830.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Snapshot_20140830_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20140830_1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Snapshot_20140830_2.JPG
    Snapshot_20140830_2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 67