Relaxed Hair Thread

Fotchygirl

So ladies, myself and DH had to go to an impromptu family function and since my hair was a hot mess I decided to go to a salon and just get a relaxer. What a horrible experience!

Firstly she didn't base my scalp, luckily I had done it myself and then she proceeded to put the relaxer all over my hair and she didn't have enough since my head is big and I had 5 months worth of NG. So she used a small tooth comb to spread the relaxer and used the same comb to fight her way through the hair. Then she has the audacity to show me a ball of broken hairs from my head. Urghhh!

She then leaves the relaxer until I start to burn, then she washes and pulls at my hair with a towel. Forget about the deep conditioning, it doesn't exist there. The cherry on top was when she just blow dried my hair without a heat protectant. My hair is now under processed in some areas and my ends look frayed. To think in my bag I had a Palmer's protein pack, a Tresemme naturals conditioner and an ORS heat serum and just kept quiet is beyond me. Never again ladies, I will learn to self relax come hell or high waters!

Beamodel

This is such ashamed ^^^
This is why I've never been to a salon for a relaxer. My mom use to do mines then taught me how to self relax my own hair.

The funny part is, self relaxing is quite easy. Just practice with a conditioner so you can get the hang of it.

Beamodel

I'm dreading the New Orleans heat on my hair tomorrow, and up until next Monday. Good thing I washed it earlier. I refused to get it freshly relaxed only to let it look limp, and drop on my trip.

I live in New Orleans. It's hot all the time here lol.

NGraceO

I've been to three beauty supply stores and none have had my beloved Aphogee 2 step :cry: .

What's going on nyc ??

I need this to happen TOday.

Babysaffy

So ladies, myself and DH had to go to an impromptu family function and since my hair was a hot mess I decided to go to a salon and just get a relaxer. What a horrible experience!

Firstly she didn't base my scalp, luckily I had done it myself and then she proceeded to put the relaxer all over my hair and she didn't have enough since my head is big and I had 5 months worth of NG. So she used a small tooth comb to spread the relaxer and used the same comb to fight her way through the hair. Then she has the audacity to show me a ball of broken hairs from my head. Urghhh!

She then leaves the relaxer until I start to burn, then she washes and pulls at my hair with a towel. Forget about the deep conditioning, it doesn't exist there. The cherry on top was when she just blow dried my hair without a heat protectant. My hair is now under processed in some areas and my ends look frayed. To think in my bag I had a Palmer's protein pack, a Tresemme naturals conditioner and an ORS heat serum and just kept quiet is beyond me. Never again ladies, I will learn to self relax come hell or high waters!

:nono: :nono: :nono: what a shame you went through this!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Ha ha no more strands clinging together. So happy. I removed the leave-in. I should have known. I never used leave-in in the first place.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Ha ha no more strands clinging together. So happy. I removed the leave-in. I should have known. I never used leave-in in the first place.

If you don't need it don't use it. My hair thrives on a leave-in because moisturizers makes it stick, but not everything is for everyone.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
^^^^ I don't even know what the purpose of a leave-in is for anyway.

It benefits those like me who use indirect heat and it's the only way to get moisture in. But it has to be watery and I have to use heat. The creamy ones I have to use on damp hair and can't use heat. I never understood them til I learned how to you use them, but they aren't for everyone. I can't use moisturizers because then I get what you get the strands sticking together and they dry out badly. Woe is the hair world lol.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Saludable84 Go look, but ummmmm....we must be sippin' from the same tea. Because I REALLY REALLY want to cut again....... Badly. :yep:

I was telling DH I wanted to shave it all off after I give birth and not really go natural but just start from scratch and go from there. He didn't agree with that. He really like my hair at SL and he found a pic of me from looooooong ago and I had SL hair. I can't front, it looks nice on me. He asked if I would be willing to just cut to that and let it grow out. I wanted to cut to SL because wet, that's where all my texlaxed hair is. Straightened it APL. Actually I'm lying, it's closer to BSL. I'm not opposed to cutting it all off.

He asked me why the sudden change and I commented that it was one thing when I went to the salon and was kept at SL due to someone opinion and not knowing how to care for my hair. Now that I know what it takes, I'm not opposed to having short hair because I have the advantage of knowing what to do now. Does that make sense?

EnExitStageLeft

Saludable84

I understand you fully.

Your DH is on to something. SO asked me yesterday (after a long hot day of complainin' about my hair) why I kept my hair long if I "hate" it. Hearing the word hate stung a bit, but he's kind of right. Long hair is pretty, but I'm realllllllly diggin' BSL. My styles are cute, my buns are big and wash days take 2 hours tops.

Hmmmm, did I just talk myself into cutting again? YEP, I think I have.

Lemme' go find my scissors.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Saludable84 I understand you fully. Your DH is on to something. SO asked me yesterday (after a long hot day of complainin' about my hair) why I kept my hair long if I "hate" it. Hearing the word hate stung a bit, but he's kind of right. Long hair is pretty, but I'm realllllllly diggin' BSL. My styles are cute, my buns are big and wash days take 2 hours tops. Hmmmm, did I just talk myself into cutting again? YEP, I think I have. Lemme' go find my scissors.

I'm gonna wait til August, but it will more than likely happen.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Saludable84 I understand you fully. Your DH is on to something. SO asked me yesterday (after a long hot day of complainin' about my hair) why I kept my hair long if I "hate" it. Hearing the word hate stung a bit, but he's kind of right. Long hair is pretty, but I'm realllllllly diggin' BSL. My styles are cute, my buns are big and wash days take 2 hours tops. Hmmmm, did I just talk myself into cutting again? YEP, I think I have. Lemme' go find my scissors.

I'm not opposed to long hair, I just am not against cutting it to get it to look the way I want and sporting a new style along the way.

NGraceO

It benefits those like me who use indirect heat and it's the only way to get moisture in. But it has to be watery and I have to use heat. The creamy ones I have to use on damp hair and can't use heat. I never understood them til I learned how to you use them, but they aren't for everyone. I can't use moisturizers because then I get what you get the strands sticking together and they dry out badly. Woe is the hair world lol.

Same here. I love my liquid leave in.

kikisf

What is a good relaxer to use? Not many people are listing which relaxer they use. Plus some of the posts are older and relaxers often change their formulas. Thanks!!

NGraceO

What is a good relaxer to use? Not many people are listing which relaxer they use. Plus some of the posts are older and relaxers often change their formulas. Thanks!!
My guess as to why most people don't list which relaxer they use is because it's a topic discussed in countless other threads, and this thread is more devoted to random blurbs of those who relax. I'd suggest searching those other threads if you want an in-depth answer. I hope that helps you:)

As for me, I've used ORS Olive Oil Lye relaxer in normal strength since my virgin texlax in November 2012...so it's all I know. If it ain't broke, I leave it be.

ETA: I have fine, 4b hair of normal density and high porosity.

naija24

I don't know why but I am missing my relaxer today. I am 5 months post and idk...the thought of smooth, straight roots was calling my name :(

I have another 2 months to go before I take this weave out.