Refrigerated products and condensation?

NaturalBritt87

Hello ladies!

I have looked through a lot of threads regarding refrigerating natural hair products. I want to refrigerate some of my products as I noticed oil on the top of my CR algae renew DC. The weather is already really warm where I live and my house temps are in the low-mid 70s when someone is home but can get quite a bit warmer when no one is home. My products are currently stored away from moisture in my closet in dark colored sterilite 3 drawer bins. However, I am worried about condensation building up in the bottles/jars of my product and then thus producing water which could possibly cause consistency changes and maybe even mold. Any problems with condensation build up in your opened/unopened hair products?
Here some brands I currently have in my stash:
Curl junkie, Crece pelo, Shea radiance, BASK, Annabelle's perfect blend, Entwine Couture, AO, Curls, Oyin, Camille rose, Jane carter, Darcy's botanicals, Qhemet biologics, Komaza care, Nene's secret, Giovanni, Nubian heritage

Would you refrigerate any of these brands?
Thanks

Last edited:

Beamodel

All of my handmades are in the fridge except for whatever moisturizer I'm currently using.

sparkle25

Hello ladies! I have looked through a lot of threads regarding refrigerating natural hair products. I want to refrigerate some of my products as I noticed oil on the top of my CR algae renew DC. The weather is already really warm where I live and my house temps are in the low-mid 70s when someone is home but can get quite a bit warmer when no one is home. My products are currently stored away from moisture in my closet in dark colored sterilite 3 drawer bins. However, I am worried about condensation building up in the bottles/jars of my product and then thus producing water which could possibly cause consistency changes and maybe even mold. Any problems with condensation build up in your opened/unopened hair products? Here some brands I currently have in my stash: Curl junkie, Crece pelo, Shea radiance, BASK, Annabelle's perfect blend, Entwine Couture, AO, Curls, Oyin, Camille rose, Jane carter, Darcy's botanicals, Qhemet biologics, Komaza care, Nene's secret, Giovanni, Nubian heritage Would you refrigerate any of these brands? Thanks

All of my unopened products are also in the fridge. It will keep them fresher for longer periods

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hello ladies!

I have looked through a lot of threads regarding refrigerating natural hair products. I want to refrigerate some of my products as I noticed oil on the top of my CR algae renew DC. The weather is already really warm where I live and my house temps are in the low-mid 70s when someone is home but can get quite a bit warmer when no one is home. My products are currently stored away from moisture in my closet in dark colored sterilite 3 drawer bins. However, I am worried about condensation building up in the bottles/jars of my product and then thus producing water which could possibly cause consistency changes and maybe even mold. Any problems with condensation build up in your opened/unopened hair products?
Here some brands I currently have in my stash:
Curl junkie, Crece pelo, Shea radiance, BASK, Annabelle's perfect blend, Entwine Couture, AO, Curls, Oyin, Camille rose, Jane carter, Darcy's botanicals, Qhemet biologics, Komaza care, Nene's secret, Giovanni, Nubian heritage

Would you refrigerate any of these brands?
Thanks

Definitely these (Bolded):yep:

NaturalBritt87

I suppose I now need to purchase a mini fridge strictly for hair products and maybe some drinks if there is space :)

NaturalBritt87

sparkle25 and Beamodel what do you do about the condensation that builds up in the bottle/jar lid? In my house we have one mini fridge already but it's dedicated to drinks. I wanted to see how my CR algae DC would do in the fridge overnight. I took it out this morning and sure enough there was condensation/water in the lid. It didn't leak onto the product but I'm concerned about water mixing into my products and tainting the consistency and causing bacteria/mold to grow. Has this ever happened to you? Thanks

Beamodel

sparkle25 and Beamodel what do you do about the condensation that builds up in the bottle/jar lid? In my house we have one mini fridge already but it's dedicated to drinks. I wanted to see how my CR algae DC would do in the fridge overnight. I took it out this morning and sure enough there was condensation/water in the lid. It didn't leak onto the product but I'm concerned about water mixing into my products and tainting the consistency and causing bacteria/mold to grow. Has this ever happened to you? Thanks

NaturalBritt87

I don't have condensation on my jars. My jars are in the crisper in the fridge. I take them out a few hours before I need to use them that way I'm not apply cold products to my hair.

NaturalBritt87

Beamodel oh ok I see, yea the crisper drawer would make a difference as that drawer is meant to prevent condensation from accumulating. Not sure what to do regarding a mini fridge that doesn't have a crisper drawer. Thanks again!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have a mini fridge. It was repurposed for hair products after it was no longer needed for other things. Condensation has never been an issue. However, I have had product to freeze up while sitting unused. The fridge is on the warmest possible setting but allowing them to sit in there for months led to freezing.

The thawing process is quick and the products require stirring to mix everything back together before use. Even with this happening, nothing has spoiled.

There was only one product that didn't remix well and that was Bear Fruit Hair conditioner. I was still able to use it and it was effective, it was just a tad watery.

I have been able to take my time with using thawed products and they haven't spoiled. I don't suggest allowing products to freeze, it just happened to mine by mistake.

NaturalBritt87

IDareT'sHair I feel 10 times better. I use products somewhat sparingly (not heavy handed at all) so I want to make sure I can take my time and really use the products at my leisure not use an unnecessary amount just so I can hurry up and finish a product. I filled my fridge up too, I am trying to figure out how to attach a pic of it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
NaturalBritt87

Good Job taking care of that. Products are Money.:yep:

There is nothing worse than pitching something that has gone bad (for one reason or another).

Now you can relax and take your time and enjoy Your Stash.:grin:

lamaria211

I don't keep any of my products in the fridge (bad girl), I have 3 sons I'm sure they would get tasted! Lol

NaturalBritt87

I don't keep any of my products in the fridge (bad girl), I have 3 sons I'm sure they would get tasted! Lol

I didn't put any of my handmade items in the fridge except my aloe vera juice, flax seed gel and seeds and my homemade deep conditioning bars per recipe from YT. We have one mini fridge but it's designated for drinks and I was worried my family would be like "oh no, now you're taking up too much space in the fridge with your hair stuff." I was also afraid of things spoiling bc my home can get pretty warm in the summer. So I went on craigslist found a fridge after getting $10off of it and picked it up same day. Best decision ever. Now when I look in my fridge I smile and almost feel like smeagol from lord of the rings "my precious" :lick::lachen: when I look. Everything is lined up so pretty, I feel like I really have a boutique of natural hair products now :fridge: :giggle:

Last edited:

Ogoma

I keep oils with short shelf lives in the freezer and bring them out to use and back in the freezer again.

NaturallyATLPCH

That pic is nice NaturalBritt87!

I don't refrigerate my items. I keep them in a dark, cool closet and they've been okay.

But if my stash was like yours, I'd definitely keep them in a mini fridge!

NaturalBritt87

IDareT'sHair thanks! Your stash inspires me. I read the show me your stash thread and was like :drool: when I saw your posting :lol: :lick: Although, I know I don't need to buy anymore products whatsoever... Pj to my heart :grin:, I just love trying new things.

NaturalBritt87

NaturallyATLPCH Thanks! Your recommendations have inspired my stash :grin: I didn't know how many handmade products I had until I started trying to fill my fridge. I even put some other natural body lotion and scrubs from TJ Maxx and Marshall's in there because they were paraben free and I was like well, why not?

NaturallyATLPCH

I can't talk. If I still had every single thing I've bought over the course of my hair journey without using some up or selling, I would need a regular fridge. :lol:

I have tried so much it's ridiculous. The swap boards have saved my life.