Reclaiming our Bodies--re-thinking modesty

dicapr

I don't think a woman has to go to the extreme and dress in baggy/sloppy clothes. Let's forget men for now. Why do women need to have their breasts pushed out and exposed, wear pants that fit like skin, or wear clothes that accentuate your body no differently than lingerie, in public, in order feel better about themselves? That's extreme in the opposite direction. Personally, I don't need tight, revealing clothes to remind me that I'm attractive and that I'm a woman. That's what I am from the inside out, not the outside in. Of course, we'll all continue disagree about what "modest" looks like and that's okay. I'm only accountable for what I do.

I remember hearing Joyce Meyer say "If you want to know what do, the right decision to make, follow peace." I'm at peace with how I dress. So I'll just continue to follow peace and let the Holy Spirit convict me where I need it.:yep:

That's true. Modest dress is a work in progress. I also don't do overly tight anything. I also keep the "girls" covered, but they are pushed out on their own. I have nothing to do with that :lachen:. All joking aside, we have to let the Holy Spirit convict us.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
All of this is so true. A lot of this discussion reminds me of Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman."

Excerpt:

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
This is beautiful by Maya. Thank you for posting this; I forgot about it and it fits this subject perfectly. :Rose:

Shimmie

Staff member
I know what your saying here however there will be some who are with Christ so of course they will be looking..however they wouldnt be able to deny that she is a godly woman..she would be

set apart from the worldy woman.

It like with anything in the christian faith not everyone is going to respect you even if your doing all you can to be right with God.

Its just the facts of life..however God will honor this which is the key.

Men should be held accountable for their actions just as much as women..We as women must call their attention to their actions by letting them no you don't approve in a godly way..

Sweet Coco, your entire post is totally on point. :yep: :up: :yep:

And the key words are 'Set Apart', for this is what we are called to be, 'Set Apart' from the world and their low standards which fail to give glory unto God or to represent us as women of Virtue.

Shimmie

Staff member
CeCe Winans wearing a see-through dress:

AfriPrincess wasn't saying she was against dressing modestly. She's just saying no matter how women dress, men can still lust after them, even if they are covered from their neck to their toes like a woman in a polygamus cult.

In the question you posted, what Mary Mary was wearing would not be appropriate for an interview. That picture you posted of Mary Mary, they weren't even modeling for interview attire.

1. Leave Ce-Ce alone. :rolleyes:

2. I agree that Afri is not against modesty; it's the defining of such. I've also made sure that my replies to her are 'gentle', as I find no fault in her .

3. The picture I posted is not of Mary, Mary, but as I listed in the post along with the link, a group called 'Trin i ty 5:7. The "job interview' question I posted was to make a point that even the world, not just the Church, would not find that type of dressing appropriate.

The apparel that they wearing in that picture does not represent modesty neither in or out of Christ Jesus. Even the 'world' would agree that there is absolutely nothing 'modest' about their apparel, that would fit into a Church or a corporate environment, let alone to sell a Gospel album which where this picture came from.

They are dressed as if they're at the 'club' looking to get picked up and then dropped or kicked to the curb afterwards. Even a fog brain could pick this up. :brainfog: :drunk: I'm just saying. :rolleyes:

What I find interesting is that young children 'know' more about what's appropriate to wear then many adults.

There is a time and a place for every manner of dressing and to represent Christ in this manner is not appropriate. Let's be real here. As Christians, we are to set a standard of Virtue and to set ourselves as an example for other Christian women. To have this 'album photo' on public display is not representative of a woman of Virtue.

It's obvious that these women are 'insecure' about who they are inside and outside; and most of them are 'competing' for attention. No one is asking them to dress as a nun or in sloppy oversized attire, however this apparel is definitely over the top (literally :look:); it's out of order and it is not only a 'bad image' to represent the Body of Christ, but it also exploits women to be regarded as this is all that they are good for and nothing more.

Dressing in this manner publicly to feel 'accepted' is not the answer. What they truly need is 'inner healing'.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies

What I find interesting is that young children 'know' more about what's appropriate to wear then many adults.

This is true. I think the mainstream culture glorifies being young way too much, from erasing wrinkles to clothing. I sometimes think older people want to be "cool" and "young" again.

Shimmie

Staff member
This is true. I think the mainstream culture glorifies being young way too much, from erasing wrinkles to clothing.

I sometimes think older people want to be "cool" and "young" again.

:lol: This is so true.

For Smiles:

My babygirl and I were shopping and she said, "I know how to tell a woman in her forties." My reply: Really? How can you do that? Her reply: "They wear a lot of animal print".

I immediately put down the leopard print blouse I was admiring. :sekret: :lol:

Children.... you gotta love em'. :love3: They don't miss a thing. :detective: :lol:

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
1. Leave Ce-Ce alone. :rolleyes:

2. I agree that Afri is not against modesty; it's the defining of such. I've also made sure that my replies to her are 'gentle', as I find no fault in her .

3. The picture I posted is not of Mary, Mary, but as I listed in the post along with the link, a group called 'Trin i ty 5:7. The "job interview' question I posted was to make a point that even the world, not just the Church, would not find that type of dressing appropriate.

The apparel that they wearing in that picture does not represent modesty neither in or out of Christ Jesus. Even the 'world' would agree that there is absolutely nothing 'modest' about their apparel, that would fit into a Church or a corporate environment, let alone to sell a Gospel album which where this picture came from.

They are dressed as if they're at the 'club' looking to get picked up and then dropped or kicked to the curb afterwards. Even a fog brain could pick this up. :brainfog: :drunk: I'm just saying. :rolleyes:

There is a time and a place for every manner of dressing and to represent Christ in this manner is not appropriate. Let's be real here. As Christians, we are to set a standard of Virtue and to set ourselves as an example for other Christian women. To have this 'album photo' on public display is not representative of a woman of Virtue.

It's obvious that these women are 'insecure' about who they are inside and outside; and most of them are 'competing' for attention. No one is asking them to dress as a nun or in sloppy oversized attire, however this apparel is definitely over the top (literally :look:); it's out of order and it is not only a 'bad image' to represent the Body of Christ, but it also exploits women to be regarded as this is all that they are good for and nothing more.

Dressing in this manner publicly to feel 'accepted' is not the answer. What they truly need is 'inner healing'.
:lol: I couldn't help but pick on Ce-Ce there...

So that was a pic of Trin-i-ty 5:7. I've never heard of them or seen them. Thanks for letting me know. They were wearing outfits that were inappropriate for an interview or corporate attire. Their outfits were just really colorful and flashy and I thought they were nice-looking so-to-speak. I don't think the outfits were necessarily out of order, just not modest.

But I would agree that there are a lot of insecure women out there and they think flashy, sleezy clothes will make them feel better about themselves or feel attractive toward others when they may be bringing the wrong attention to themselves.

sidney

I think the confusion lies in the fact we all may have different definitions of modesty. Personally, I feel that some may define modesty as the dress C pictures. I happen to think the women in dress B look appropriate. I think that there is a fine line between modesty and legalism. Women should be able to look like women. I don't think we should be legalists in regard to the way we dress. Women don't have to look like Group C to be holy women just as christians don't have to live as poor to appear more humble and modest.

DRESS B

DRESS C

Last edited:

Ramya

I dress modestly according to my own definition. I think it's ridiculous that women have to hide the fact that they are women. And in my experience more often than not it's been other women have issues with my idea of modesty, not men. At my mother's church the women only wear oversized clothing and I would be amazed if anything other than their wrists were showing. So if I go in there with a knee-length A-line skirt, I'm going to be called all kinds of heathens. :look: At some point you just have to pray for GOD to show you what you need to do and be done with it. If modesty for you is turtlenecks and ankle length skirts then by all means wear it but don't try and make it seem like that's the only way to be modest.

Poohbear

I googled images of Trin-i-tee 5:7. How would you all rate the modesty of their attire in these pictures:

I know I went overboard with the pics, lol. But overall, I see that they do not dress very modesty. But more than anything, I do not think they are aware of it and may not even care as long as they look good to the public eye.

Last edited:

Ramya

The only outfit that I would deem immodest is the yellow dress because her breasts are hanging out. Oh and that one black dress is a little short. :ohwell:

Shimmie

Staff member
:lol: I couldn't help but pick on Ce-Ce there...

So that was a pic of Trin-i-ty 5:7. I've never heard of them or seen them. Thanks for letting me know. They were wearing outfits that were inappropriate for an interview or corporate attire. Their outfits were just really colorful and flashy and I thought they were nice-looking so-to-speak. I don't think the outfits were necessarily out of order, just not modest.

But I would agree that there are a lot of insecure women out there and they think flashy, sleezy clothes will make them feel better about themselves or feel attractive toward others when they may be bringing the wrong attention to themselves.

Thanks Poohbear. :Rose:

Just don't be messin' with Ce Ce Winans. :nono2: :lol:

Poohbear

I think the confusion lies in the fact we all may have different definitions of modesty. Personally, I feel that some may define modesty as the dress C pictures. I happen to think the women in dress B look appropriate. I think that there is a fine line between modesty and legalism. Women should be able to look like women. I don't think we should be legalists in regard to the way we dress. Women don't have to look like Group C to be holy women just as christians don't have to live as poor to appear more humble and modest.

DRESS B

DRESS C

I totally agree with you on your point about modesty vs. legalism. Legalism is something God wants us to avoid as well. I would wear pictures A and B. I would not wear C even though it would be considered the most modest. Sorry. Maybe if it was a different color like a solid dark color with no flowery pattern.

Ramya

DRESS B

DRESS C

I wouldn't look twice at dress C let alone wear it. That things is ":perplexed". I wear things like dresses a and b all the time. :yep: I'm a dress/skirt girl but that doesn't mean I want to wear ill-fitted floral tents. :nono:

Shimmie

Staff member
I googled images of Trin-i-tee 5:7. How would you all rate the modesty of their attire in these pictures:

I know I went overboard with the pics, lol. But overall, I see that they do not dress very modesty. But more than anything, I do not think they are aware of it and may not even care as long as they look good to the public eye.

Thanks for the pics, Poohbear.

I have to say that they look horrible in this manner of dressing. They truly need an 'image' consultant. Come on! Even the non - Gospel entertainers have better taste, and if nothing else, better taste than the clingy polyester fabric.

Their bodies are 'droopy' from the over spill of being busty. They cannot afford to come off this way in public. It looks cheap and ghetto, and the fake hair doesn't help at all. It looks like a fake night at the club scene. And this is not an opinion.

I follow enough fashion to know better. They could learn quite a lot from the top of the line fashion designers.

I'll say this. Right here in this entire forum, I've seen many, many pictures of the ladies and none of them come off looking cheap and floosie like this.

An 'image consultant' is badly needed here. I'm just taking it as they just don't know any better.

Yeah....:rolleyes: Okay. :nono:

I've simply had it with the 'excuses' that Church folks keep coming up with to ease their consciences when they 'know' what their clothing looks like.

Those last 3 pictures are just horrible. I'll tell you what. God's not stupid and He's not hearing it. The excuses, that is. :rolleyes:

Poohbear, my response is not directed at you. :Rose: It's my response to the subject and the pictures. I just wanted to make that clear.

Personally, I don't think this clothing is attractive on anyone. :nono: It's tacky. Quite tacky. :look:

Blessings Poohbear. :Rose:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member

DRESS B

DRESS C

I think the B category is nice. I'd probably have a scarf with the low V neckline in the B category; but then I wear colorful silk scarfs with almost everything, even with jeans and sweats. :lol: I love scarfs. :love3:

"C' is not what I'd wear. :nono: It's okay, but I'm more in the B category in comparison. But I also wear tailored suits.

Poohbear

Would you ladies wear these modest outfits below? :lol::lol::lol: (Sorry, I just had to laugh):

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
More modest dresses:

I like the red and I have a dress like the middle black one.

I don't like the border stripe on the one above though... :nono:

My wardrobe is actually multi-cultural. I have wall to wall Indian Sari's , and Indian Pants sets with the silk Sari scarfs.

I dress like this ....

http://www.kaneesha.com/tunic_index.cfm

Red Traditional Embellished Indian Kurti Top
$62.00 Black Polka Dot Flared Tunic
$61.00 Hot Pink Silk Polka Dot Indian Tunic Top
$63.00
I'm still a woman, but covered and my busty girls are not popping out of my blouses. My Derrierre is not showing either. This is just my style of clothing. Indian clothes are very pretty and feminine and yet they cover very nicely.

http://www.kaneesha.com/tunic_index.cfm?cid=17&crow=7
http://www.kaneesha.com/kaneeshajewelry/store.cfm?pid=4894 http://www.kaneesha.com/kaneeshajewelry/store.cfm?pid=2194 http://www.kaneesha.com/kaneeshajewelry/store.cfm?pid=2515

Poohbear

I would wear everything except the button down wrap dress. I actually dress like this 99% of the time. Now everything else you posted is just wrong. :nono:
I agree. I don't like dresses with all those buttons in the front. I would have those little loops between the button spaces all over the place. :)That button down wrap dress is for woman that do not have much curves.

Poohbear

My wardrobe is actually multi-cultural. I have wall to wall Indian Sari's , and Indian Pants sets with the silk Sari scarfs.

I dress like this ....

http://www.kaneesha.com/tunic_index.cfm

Red Traditional Embellished Indian Kurti Top
$62.00 Black Polka Dot Flared Tunic
$61.00 Hot Pink Silk Polka Dot Indian Tunic Top
$63.00
I'm still a woman, but covered and my busty girls are not popping out of my blouses. My Derrierre is not showing either. This is just my style of clothing. Indian clothes are very pretty and feminine and yet they cover very nicely.

I find that Indian attire to be very elegant and unique. Those tops would be great for women who are curvy. :yep:

Ramya

Y'all know good and well y'all would wear those modest outfits in post #80! :lachen:

Girl no! *whispers* that's what the ladies at my mother's church dress like. The dresses you posted that I liked would be considered immodest to those ladies. Because knees and calves are oh so sexy. :nuts: :lachen:

PinkPebbles

DRESS B

DRESS C

I agree. I like the first dress, Dress B. This is me all the way....I can wear it to work, church, and on a date. It's classy.

Love Always

I have to say that they look horrible in this manner of dressing. They truly need an 'image' consultant. Come on! Even the non - Gospel entertainers have better taste, and if nothing else, better taste than the clingy polyester fabric.

Their bodies are 'droopy' from the over spill of being busty. They cannot afford to come off this way in public. It looks cheap and ghetto, and the fake hair doesn't help at all. It looks like a fake night at the club scene. And this is not an opinion.

I follow enough fashion to know better. They could learn quite a lot from the top of the line fashion designers.

I'll say this. Right here in this entire forum, I've seen many, many pictures of the ladies and none of them come off looking cheap and floosie like this.

An 'image consultant' is badly needed here. I'm just taking it as they just don't know any better.

Yeah....:rolleyes: Okay. :nono:

I've simply had it with the 'excuses' that Church folks keep coming up with to ease their consciences when they 'know' what their clothing looks like.

Those last 3 pictures are just horrible. I'll tell you what. God's not stupid and He's not hearing it. The excuses, that is. :rolleyes:

Poohbear, my response is not directed at you. :Rose: It's my response to the subject and the pictures. I just wanted to make that clear.

Personally, I don't think this clothing is attractive on anyone. :nono: It's tacky. Quite tacky. :look:

I couldn't help but to :lachen: when I read your post. Sadly enough Shimmie, they have been dressing like this for years :nono:. They're just tacky IMO and they could definitely use a stylist!