Recession Hair Care

SignatureBeauty

I just splurge on my Jessicurl Conditioner, I gotta have that, but other than that, I just use S-curl and a shampoo bar, but I am gonna try that Baking Soda Shampoo and see how that works for me, I have tried the cheap conditioners and since Suave took away my Milk n Honey things just haven't been the same, I Loved that Suave Milk n Honey Conditioner, I tried Citrus smoothie but it just ain't the same:sad:

chebaby

CON shampoo
elasta qp dpr 11 condish
africa's best mayonnais treatment

and i would just have to stock pile the rest because i need my keracare

natieya

I love these ideas! Thanks so much for this (and everyone else who has contributed). Great thread, OP! :grin:

Nature's Gate and Mill Creek have some of the best conditioners out there --and not just for the money, for any money. Just look at the different conditioners and read the labels/ingredients, do your research and you will see. If you are looking for a wonderful protein conditioner which will also leave your hair moisturized look at both the Nature's Gate and Mill Creek keratin conditioners. The NG aloe and jojoba are wonderful moisturizing conditioners. Nature's Gate left my hair feeling better than Nexxus Phyto-Organics Humectin -- by far...

I see conditioner like Back to Basics and Bain de Terre at Big Lots all the time -- the liter sizes for $3.50 and they are not necesarily discontinued items, but there because of packaging changes and, of course, over-stocks. Also, check out Marshall's and TJ Maxx for discounted salon products and Salonsavings.com online. I see great stuff in those stores all the time -- the same things I see in Ulta, but deeply discounted.

I co-wash with VO5 and white rain conditioners. I buy several bottles at a time. THe discontinued ones in the dollar store have waaaay better and more numerous hair friendly ingredients than those brands have currently in regular retail drug and grocery stores. For example the VO5 juicy mango passion has 12 hair friendly ingredients like mango and papaya extracts, panthenol, vitamin e, aloe vera and on and on. None of the current VO5 conditioners in the store have as many. You'd be surprised what you can get for $1.00 a bottle in the Dollar Store or Big Lots. Of course, I would not use them if they did not work and the ones I have tried leave me with soft, moisturizined, detangled hair.

ClassicBeauty

I spend very little on my hair products each year anyway--not on purpose but I only need my staples and I don't go to salons. Sometimes, I'll try something new, especially if it will be useful to me.

I do not intend to change my spending habits on hair products because of what's going on elsewhere.

Same here! I never spent much on hair products. I'm a waistlength CHEAPIE! It can be done.

Barbara

Princess
I'm such a PJ, i think the shampoo and conditioner i have now will last a good 2 years..............:lachen:

I have a lot of stuff that will last longer than two years, maybe four, so I don't need to worry about buying anything else until I use up what I have. However, I will make an exception to Cream of Nature shampoo, since it's being discontinued, but only if it's on sale. :woot:

Last edited:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Every hair product I buy (except my ORS Replenishing Conditioner *12.00* and my Salerm 21 *10.00* costs less than $5.00. So I should be good.

bbdgirl

I really have alot of conditioner, that can last me at least 2-3 years. Also I am already a cheapie, so I don't really have to worry about adjusting my budget for my hair stuff. I will just MISS browsing, comparing and purchasing stuff for my hair more than anything else!

chebaby

i need to change what i said.

co wash:
suave and vanilla floral mixed with jbco and honey
HE hh
HE ltr

shampoo:
CON

but i would have to stock pile the rest because i need:
paul mitchell the wash (shampoo)
keracare humecto (deep condition)
keracare creme hairdress
keracare essential oils
kenra MC (co wash and deep condition)
redken smooth down butter treat (leave in)
redken all soft heavy creme (for co wash)

Angelicus

Thank God that I am already using a lot of cheap stuff (V05, Suave, Nacidit). I am, however slacking up on deep conditioners because I'm trying to conserve, lol.

gymfreak336

Well, considering that I can get liters of Kenra onsale I would still buy the Kenra mc. I would just wait until it was onsale to buy it.

Otherwise..................................

Pantene Mask
Herbal Essences leave ins and conditioners to help detangle or for co-washing
Cholesterol
Elasta qp for shampoo and protein treatments
ORS replenishing conditioner

chebaby

yall make me want to stock it up this weekend for fear i wont be able to afford it later:ohwell::perplexed:look::blush::spinning:

QUINN

All of my hair products are cheap. Thank you hair!
I use NTM deep condish for co-washes and deep conditioning
NTM and Infusium for leave ins
Suave daily clarifying and Motions Lavish conditioning shampoo. I have Nexxus Aloe Rid and the Sally's knock off Aloe Rid
Motions and Maxi neutralizing shampoo
I use Motions CPR, light protein, my hair hates protein, but needs it, so I force feed it.
The most expensive things I have for my hair is my henna (haven't used in a year) and my BT (using tonight or tomorrow)

If I need products and can't afford them I will be hitting SO and Dad up (I ain't too proud to beg, Naw!), but I don't see that happening.

*Going to get a tub of Motions relaxer, yessir.

This squirrel is stocking up on her nutz!

Barbara

Princess
I'm leaning more toward my cheap hair products now such as Cream of Nature, Infusium 23 Leave in Treatment, and Motions Moisture Plus, etc. :woot: In fact, I just bought four 32 ounce bottles of Cream of Nature shampoo (ultra moisturizing/detangling formula) @ $5 a bottle from Sally's, since it's being discontinued. :sad:

I alternate with my more expensive products: Verifen Complex. :dance7:

Last edited:

belleama

I have a question regarding hair care. Since gas is now almost $4.00/gallon. If you had to cut back on hair products, what would you use? A lot of us like Keracare, Mizani, Design Essentials and Nexxus. But, if you had to go to Walmart/Target/or CVS, what product line would you use?

HA! I have back ups for my back ups because growing up we were always so dirt poor. So the habit has stuck with me. I never wait until I am out of something to buy more or a replacement. Those use it up challenges never work for me for this reason. If I find something I like I usually within a week of finding it go and buy a back up for it. So unless bad times last more than say 6 - 12 months I'll be okay.

I will say though that I only buy my products at easily accesible places like walmart, cvs, target and the like because I'd hate to run out or lose a bottle or break a bottle or have security at the airport take it and not be able to replace it easily.

MD_Lady

I have a question regarding hair care. Since gas is now almost $4.00/gallon. If you had to cut back on hair products, what would you use? A lot of us like Keracare, Mizani, Design Essentials and Nexxus. But, if you had to go to Walmart/Target/or CVS, what product line would you use?

Funny you should ask. ;) I just went shopping this weekend for alternatives to my beloved Phyto Ultra Nourishing Hair Masque ($38). I found a 3 minute treatment by Aussie and a Hair Masque by Garnier Fructis (both of which were a little over $3) at Ulta and I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with both. Outside of those, I'm a fan of faux Nexxus products like Suave Humectant. :yep:

lydc

I'm very fortunate that my hair has decided to stop being snobby and I have been able to find quality products for less than $10.

La Colocha

Im bumping this bad boy up. If anyone has any more cheapies to add please do some of the things i have used before that are pretty cheap and worked well are

Hollywood beauty castor oil
Hollywood beauty olive oil cream(jar)

The hollywood beauty can cost $3.00 or less if you catch a sale

Carefree curl gold lotion
Suave
Currently researching cholesterols, and lustrasilk looks like a good brand, i have to wait until the no buy is over to try it.

Natural butters can be found online pretty cheap and have multi use purposes.

simplyhair

I would go with the QP line:

Creme poo
Intense conditoner
Stimulating Breakage Serum (sp?) for protein

BB Oil moisturizer

manegoal

I have been trying to use some cheap/cheaper things for the time being.
Such as real avocadoes are 10 cents @ wally world and using mill creek keratin ($3 bucks) instead on aphogee (a little higher), and using up what I already have. I don't have as many total products as I use to. The more expensive things, like oils, I try to stretch and not be heavy-handed.

Everything Zen

I definitely curb my pjism and stick to products you can buy at Walgreens and Target. Walgreens has been having a ton of awesome sales so I will pick up things that are on clearance too. I buy a lot of Suave cowashes and the HE products are good. The only specialty product that I bought was Alter Ego Garlic treatment and that was worth every penny. Other than that I only keep a couple of different product lines around at a time which is great for my PJism. Also I try to use stuff in the kitchen- like when the mayo is going to expire in a week I'll do a deep condish with it or if the avocados are not being eaten up quick enough I mash them up with honey and use it on my hair and face. Tea rinses are another biggie.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I made a vow to use up all my products. I had bought some at the beginning of my journey and some of the jars and bottles still have product. Then I am only buying what I really really like to replenish the stock. The good thing though is that all my products were relatively cheap:look:.

RavenMaven

I use one product and one product only: Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I use it on my body, nails, hair, skin, lol. Everything.

sunbubbles

I Dont really have any expensive hair indulgences. Probably because I was BROKE from JUMP STREET!! :lachen: So I could never afford them anyway! LOL

But I do LOVE me some.........
Suave Condish ( I like suave better than VO5)
Mane & Tail condish
CON Shampoo (green label)
ACV
Olive oil
Glycerin
Shea Butter
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Aloe Vera Gel and.............. IDK Maybe some S-url or WOC?

ALL Cheapies ( that is unless I go and buy the whole shelf like Im prone to do at times :grin:)

When I finally get some money Id like to try some Qhemet, DevaCurl, Miss Jessies, Aveda Shampure, and Eluscence. Sigh............................ :rolleyes: maybe one day.

gissellr78

NTM the mask
Pantene relaxed and natural-mask
aphogee shampoo for damaged hair

some of the few things i love that are cheap

HoneyDew

My Qhemet habit is hard to support these days. The products last a long time, which is great, but still.............it ain't cheap. With shipping costs, it ends up being like $20 a jar for my Burdock Root Butter Cream and/or Heavy Cream. And now that my son wants to use them, let's just say imma need a discount or sale on that site - STAT.

My Joico Intense Hydrator habit is easy to deal with. I got 2 liters as a gift and I got 2 liters on ebay for about $38 including shipping. That will get me to the end of the year I think.

On ebay, I paid $30 for 7 bottles of my Kenra Platinum shampoo. That will last me forever!

All my other stuff is pretty cheap and easy to replenish.

Last edited:

loulou82

If I had to seriously pinch my pennies I would stick to aloe vera juice, water, TJ Spa Nourish Poo, AO HSR (as a co wash, leave in, and moisturizer), coconut oil, and honey. I could get by very well with these and my hair would still be clean, conditioned, and hydrated.

msa

I use one product and one product only: Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I use it on my body, nails, hair, skin, lol. Everything.

You don't use anything else? Girl, I'm jealous.

Right now I use baking soda (89c a box and it lasts at least 2 months) and castor oil (4.99 a bottle and it lasts a month) as my hair care products. So I'd be fine even if things got worse.

Now if I really didn't have any money whatsoever I could just survive with water and I'd always wear protective styles. If I could afford castor oil I could use that for my hair and as body lotion.

Digital Tempest

I used to spend a whole lot on products when I first went natural. Then, I learned it didn't take a boatload of products to take care of my hair. Right now, I'm still trying to get rid of products that I bought in my first few months natural. Other than that, I don't use too many expensive things on my hair. I think my henna (which I always buy online) and my KCKT are the most expensive products that I buy. Everything else is your run-of-the mill cheapie stuff like Suave, EVOO, etc.