Recession Hair Care

MissB

I have a question regarding hair care. Since gas is now almost $4.00/gallon. If you had to cut back on hair products, what would you use? A lot of us like Keracare, Mizani, Design Essentials and Nexxus. But, if you had to go to Walmart/Target/or CVS, what product line would you use?

DaRealist

Probably the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line
If not that then I would go with a no-poo regimen and use Dominican conditioners

BotanyGrl

The Elasta QP line and Dominican products are my cheapie favs. The price of food and gas are continuing to go up and I'm always looking for cheap alternatives. The Ovation/MTek sticky is not helping :ohwell: I stopped myself from purchasing Friday, but it's getting harder and harder not to jump on the wagon.

princessnad

baking soda and ACV washes
cheapie condishes for cowashes
ORS products for deep condishes
breaks over by HE for leave in
TJ Maxx has a bunch of discounts on high end products. I'm using Chi Keratin mist that was 1/2 off.

I have acutally stopped using my Nexxus products even though I have tons of that stuff left because I think this ^^ stuff agrees more with my hair.:yep:

adw425

Nature's Gate and Mill Creek have some of the best conditioners out there --and not just for the money, for any money. Just look at the different conditioners and read the labels/ingredients, do your research and you will see. If you are looking for a wonderful protein conditioner which will also leave your hair moisturized look at both the Nature's Gate and Mill Creek keratin conditioners. The NG aloe and jojoba are wonderful moisturizing conditioners. Nature's Gate left my hair feeling better than Nexxus Phyto-Organics Humectin -- by far...

I see conditioner like Back to Basics and Bain de Terre at Big Lots all the time -- the liter sizes for $3.50 and they are not necesarily discontinued items, but there because of packaging changes and, of course, over-stocks. Also, check out Marshall's and TJ Maxx for discounted salon products and Salonsavings.com online. I see great stuff in those stores all the time -- the same things I see in Ulta, but deeply discounted.

I co-wash with VO5 and white rain conditioners. I buy several bottles at a time. THe discontinued ones in the dollar store have waaaay better and more numerous hair friendly ingredients than those brands have currently in regular retail drug and grocery stores. For example the VO5 juicy mango passion has 12 hair friendly ingredients like mango and papaya extracts, panthenol, vitamin e, aloe vera and on and on. None of the current VO5 conditioners in the store have as many. You'd be surprised what you can get for $1.00 a bottle in the Dollar Store or Big Lots. Of course, I would not use them if they did not work and the ones I have tried leave me with soft, moisturizined, detangled hair.

Last edited:
baking soda and ACV washes
cheapie condishes for cowashes
ORS products for deep condishes

breaks over by HE for leave in
TJ Maxx has a bunch of discounts on high end products. I'm using Chi Keratin mist that was 1/2 off.

I use the same as the bolded. I make my own leave-in with cheapie conditioner.
I refuse to spend a lot of money anymore on products but it is difficult :rolleyes:
I also buy my oils online, even with shipping, I haven't found a better deal in the stores.
I don't think it is necessary to spend $20 on shampoo and conditioner. But people will:ohwell:

Isis

I spend very little on my hair products each year anyway--not on purpose but I only need my staples and I don't go to salons. Sometimes, I'll try something new, especially if it will be useful to me.

I do not intend to change my spending habits on hair products because of what's going on elsewhere.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
  • Elasta QP Line (DPR-11, H2O Leave-In Spray, etc.)
  • Herbal Essences Line (Long Term Relationship, Break's Over, etc.)
  • Alberto V05 Line (Champagne Kiss, Lavender Luster)
  • Sunsilk Line (Straighten Up)
All of these lines are inexpensive but good.

FineChyna

i decided to stick with the basics that works for me and shy away from the more expensive products that i really don't need or something new that was reviewed and caught my interest. if there is a cheaper alternative i go with that as well/

for example i had a wish list around my income tax refund time and nixed that once i realized that it made no sense to spend money on that stuff when i have no idea if i will like it or not.

so i am just sticking with my shamp/conditioner and leave ins and buying in bulk if there is a sale that makes the extra purchases worth my money.

also it appears it is cheaper for me to get a lot of things online instead of traveling to 10 different stores. granted my hair doesn't like a lot of over the counter stuff but i already know where i can get my joico and garlic shampoo cheap and then i just by the rest online from the same store. in the past i would by 3 different things from 3 different online stores. makes no sense unless i have to do that, which right now i don't

prospurr4

All I have EVER used are inexpensive products from Motions, Proclaim and VO5. My most expensive hair product is Giovanni Direct Leave-in, about $4.89 for a 8.5 oz bottle...and I use such a small amount, that bottle will probably last a few years.

I love that my hair does very well with cheap stuff! :grin:

charmtreese

I will penny pinch in some other areas...eat out less, carpool, be more conscious of the amount of product Im using at one time...but Im not changing my products. It took me too long to find the right combo of products for my hair, so Im sticking with my WEN, Ojon, Jane Carter, Jessiecurl and CHI...recession or not!:yep:

MissB

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a lot of shampoo and conditioner in my stash. But, I seem to run through a lot of finishing and styling products. I believe it is because the 2 males in the household use a lot of my products. So, I will look at cheaper alternatives going forward. The Organix line sounds tempting.

Proudpiscean

Cheap conditioners for cowashes are a staple, most all are under $1.00.

I get the liter bottles of Kenra poo & condioner when it's on sale at Trade Secrets and a little goes a long way.

PeggyFair

Cheapies and natural products work well for me. V05 for daily co-washes, Herbel Essence Hello Hydration as a leave in conditioner, castor oil, cocounut oil, sweet almond oil. I use Lottabody Creamwrap for rollersets and a little goes a long way. I don't own a car, I'm in an excellent financial position right now, so this recession hasn't affected my hair care one bit!:drunk:

Lucky's Mom

I have a question regarding hair care. Since gas is now almost $4.00/gallon. If you had to cut back on hair products, what would you use? A lot of us like Keracare, Mizani, Design Essentials and Nexxus. But, if you had to go to Walmart/Target/or CVS, what product line would you use?

The Reccesion/Depression helps me to constatnly condsider natural and homemade stuff 100% of the time.

I have stopped "trying out" products.......:nono: I just use up or use what I have. PJism is at a HALT!

Keep1Belle

I save money on shampoos, because I rarely use them.

• So ACV and baking soda washes
  • Co washes I use the olive oil conditioner
  • spend money on good deep conditioner, but also make from home
  • as far as styling products. lately its been my own mix of coconut oil, shea butter, lecithin and glyerin. I can make a big tub that will last me for months
  • For leave ins I use Elasta QP, except I use 1 bottle, seperate it into 3 and then fill with distilled water.
  • Also do my own trims

LynnieB

Lots of cheap stuff work great so i'm safe LOL!

conditioners:
vo5, nature's gate, aubrey's, some suave products as conditioners.

poo's - don't poo much and when i do it's very diluted and i switch up alot so what i have will last for years and years and years.:

CON
Roux Porosity Control
Suave (w/cones)
Optimum Care
HE - degunkify and sauve's clear clarifying

Deep cons:

Aubrey Organics
Elasta qp dpr-11
ORS RP
Lustrasilk Cholesterols - in the can and the liquid one.
Aphogee - hard, bal. moisturizer (from the 2step) and the reconstructor

literally tons of hit or miss stuff in my closet and under the sink that i'll bust out and mix with something else if i have to. i also regularly visit walmart.com and sign up for any free sample of hair product i can get my hands on :lachen:

then there's always the kitchen stuff like BS, ACV, honey, molasses, crisco and veggie oils (in a pinch - yea, really.).

the only thing that i might find a way to splurge on is Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner. i am really, really liking this more than i expected.

everything else is pretty much inflation proof and i know the price will only go but so high on any of them.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Hoq about those that go to salons every week to two weeks, will you streach time or find one in walking distance?
I go to a salon about 25 miles from my home, but since finding LHCF I go only (for touch ups) about every 13 weeks (as opposed to the every 2 weeks for wash and style I was going before). Since I go so seldom, it's OK to me.

Misseyl

I'm going to keep it simple.. The only thing I'm splurging on is my Phytorelaxer, and some henna -- other than that I'll continue to use
CON shampoo
Profectiv products as leave-in
and my Dominican conditioner..

I have a bottle of Emergencee that is going to be lasting for a couple of months because I'm going to be using Henna as a strengtener once every 16 weeks...

chellero

Wife Supremacist
CON shampoo (I have plenty left)
VO5, suave cowashes
ORS replinish pak deep conditioner
Herbal Essences leave in
castor oil seal

LovelyLionessa

LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
VO5 Champagne Kisses and Strawberries and Cream (the S&C I also use as a moisturizer)
HE LTR conditioner
Africa's Best Liquid Mayo

Shampoo tends to last awhile, but conditioner I use like water.

lovinmylocs

I'm such a PJ, i think the shampoo and conditioner i have now will last a good 2 years..............:lachen:

Same here - I have so many condishioners I have some in my hair cubby, hair bins and hidden under the bed. If times get really tough I can stretch my stuff out for 2-3 years. (It might mean no more daily co-washing LOL)

caramelcutieinva

The recession hasn't affected what I spend on haircare.

If I did have to penny pinch I would use Mane N Tail, Suave, and ORS Replenishing Paks.