Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Alma Petra

I'm really paying attention and analyzing things so that I can hone in on a regimen that gives me peace that I am doing the least damage to my hair as I can . . . and that I am promoting growth and retention as much as I can. I think THEN I can just let go of the search for the perfect product combination and just coast and feel my hair is growing as best it can.

My issue is that I'm used to long straight hair that frames my face. I think I can be patient while my high-shrinkage hair grows out to show length . . . but only IF I'm not working against myself by damaging my ends or not maximizing my growth and retention rate.

I am COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS until I can pack up a box of a lot of this stuff at the house and try to sell it on FB for $50-70.

I'm tiring of trialing products and trying to "solve" my hair. I'm tiring of shipping fees and analysis and so forth. But I'm close!!!

Oh no it seems that you don't have the natural PJ tendencies like I have. Me too I worry about spending too much unnecessary money on products and I would love to finally arrive at my perfect products and my perfect regimen. But I have to confess that shopping for and trialing new products does give me a high :giggle: I wish us both success at achieving our goals sooner than later!

I cannot compare the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener to anything I've ever tried. It is the reason I didn't re-relax my hair. I took my hair from stringy noodles to bouncy, coily, springs with awesome elasticity. It "fixed" my hair. I know it's different from anything I've ever used because after I treat my hair with it, my hair feels like it's coated with rubber. I then do moisture treatments until I get back to a good moisture-protein balance.

There will definitely come a day when I buy and try this Komaza Protein Strengthener. If not for the crazy shipping costs I would have done this months ago.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Oh no it seems that you don't have the natural PJ tendencies like I have. Me too I worry about spending too much unnecessary money on products and I would love to finally arrive at my perfect products and my perfect regimen. But I have to confess that shopping for and trialing new products does give me a high :giggle: I wish us both success at achieving our goals sooner than later!

There will definitely come a day when I buy and try this Komaza Protein Strengthener. If not for the crazy shipping costs I would have done this months ago.

Yes . . . the shipping fees for the Komaza protein is the reason I won't rebuy: I bought samples of other Komaza products to see if paying shipping to them could be worth my while, and my hair doesn't love the brand.

LOL! I have PJ tendencies for sure. However, I do NOT get a rush from the activities of making purchasing, seeing packages, trialing products, etc. (Thank, GOODNESS!)

I do get hype when products work, though!

My feelings about the spending:
I have never spent on ANYTHING the way I've spent on hair since going natural (besides books, but I'm an education researcher, so . . . :look: ) Even though I must spend in order to figure things out, ultimately this is not good stewardship for me: That money is better put into savings. So while the trialing and spending have lead to important breakthroughs, my falling in love with my hair, and my being EVER SO GRATEFUL I went natural . . . I don't feel good about the spending. ESPECIALLY when a product just bombs.​

The only reason I'm not overcome with guilt on this journey is because I've purchased samples any time possible and because, although it may not seem like it from the outside, I am purchasing with purpose most of the time.​

The two item types that I have overspent on are gels and tools. I could have stopped purchasing gels after obtaining the CRN Curl Maker and the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I have permitted myself to purchase curlers, curlformers, brushes, combs, etc. when I felt I shouldn't have. Otherwise, I have not purchased a poo or DC or detangler that I felt I shouldn't have.​

Alma Petra

Yes . . . the shipping fees for the Komaza protein is the reason I won't rebuy: I bought samples of other Komaza products to see if paying shipping to them could be worth my while, and my hair doesn't love the brand.

LOL! I have PJ tendencies for sure. However, I do NOT get a rush from the activities of making purchasing, seeing packages, trialing products, etc. (Thank, GOODNESS!)

I do get hype when products work, though!

My feelings about the spending:
I have never spent on ANYTHING the way I've spent on hair since going natural (besides books, but I'm an education researcher, so . . . :look: ) Even though I must spend in order to figure things out, ultimately this is not good stewardship for me: That money is better put into savings. So while the trialing and spending have lead to important breakthroughs, my falling in love with my hair, and my being EVER SO GRATEFUL I went natural . . . I don't feel good about the spending. ESPECIALLY when a product just bombs.​

The only reason I'm not overcome with guilt on this journey is because I've purchased samples any time possible and because, although it may not seem like it from the outside, I am purchasing with purpose most of the time.​

The two item types that I have overspent on are gels and tools. I could have stopped purchasing gels after obtaining the CRN Curl Maker and the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I have permitted myself to purchase curlers, curlformers, brushes, combs, etc. when I felt I shouldn't have. Otherwise, I have not purchased a poo or DC or detangler that I felt I shouldn't have.​

I do have too many products at this point in time (50+). There are some products that I'm not using and yet I'm not able to throw away because I keep thinking that they may have potential. I think that what I regret is purchasing new products when I haven't yet done enough trialing and arrived at solid conclusions regarding the items that I already have.

Alma Petra

They behave differently on my hair. Guava leaf tea acts like a conditioner, meaning it becomes a part of the hair without the waxiness of fatty alcohol. Aloe is like a treatment that smooths down the cuticle and disappears like water does (no residue).
Talking about my product junkyism in the post above, and I'm here to talk about wanting to trial both aloe gel and guava leaves at a point in time :angel:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I do have too many products at this point in time (50+). There are some products that I'm not using and yet I'm not able to throw away because I keep thinking that they may have potential. I think that what I regret is purchasing new products when I haven't yet done enough trialing and arrived at solid conclusions regarding the items that I already have.

Agreed. I have DEFINITELY had the experience of grabbing an old product after my technique/skills have improved and bumping that product up to staple or HG status. So I can't toss out my box of products just yet. They're here now. :smile:

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Agreed. I have DEFINITELY had the experience of grabbing an old product after my technique/skills have improved and bumping that product up to staple or HG status. So I can't toss out my box of products just yet. They're here now. :smile:

Are you still planning to try the CRN algae dc? I used it Sunday and went to the salon with it on my hair. The stylist was impressed with how soft my hair was after she shampoo'd and did a rinse out conditioner. I've gotten 2 compliments on how bouncy and shiny my hair is today and I know it's the CRN cause that's the only change I made. I'm relaxed (growing it out until I'm fully natural) and wonder how it works on a fully natural 4a head of hair. You give such great detailed reviews that I'd love to read your review on it.

Thanks

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Are you still planning to try the CRN algae dc? I used it Sunday and went to the salon with it on my hair. The stylist was impressed with how soft my hair was after she shampoo'd and did a rinse out conditioner. I've gotten 2 compliments on how bouncy and shiny my hair is today and I know it's the CRN cause that's the only change I made. I'm relaxed (growing it out until I'm fully natural) and wonder how it works on a fully natural 4a head of hair. You give such great detailed reviews that I'd love to read your review on it.

Thanks

I wasn't planning on it anymore after my results with the Soultanicals 'Fro Despair Repair, but I love your results. :

:scratchchin: If I use it I'll tag you and review it. I'll see if I can get my husband to purchase it for me: I just purchased a Soultanicals bar soap and butter from Hattache'.

Lissa0821

I feel bad I got into a conversation at Sally Beauty with the sales lady about the rewards coupons while making my purchase. She didn't ring up all my items. I didn't catch it until I got home to check my receipt because it dawned on me my purchase should have been more than what I paid. Low and behalf, she only charged me for one item. I got some $8.99 Croc clips for free.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I feel bad I got into a conversation at Sally Beauty with the sales lady about the rewards coupons while making my purchase. She didn't ring up all my items. I didn't catch it until I got home to check my receipt because it dawned on me my purchase should have been more than what I paid. Low and behalf, she only charged me for one item. I got some $8.99 Croc clips for free.
If you feel bad go back to store and pay. If you don't keep them and thank the hair gods for delivering you a free product.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Absolutely. Wha chu want me to do to it? Bare in mind that the only thing I can do with some extensions is braid it. Everything else is fair game. I'm in a digging in someone's hair mood. Yesterday, I did this on my niece's hair:

And, this on my great-niece's hair:
I'm not too picky, just something I can keep up for a week or two :lachen:

LadyRaider

Untitled.jpg Help! What do you tell your stylist to get your natural hair not to fall in a crazy triangle... I need layers, right? I have to have them cut my hair when it's straight and you can't see the triangle when it's straight!

I tried two layers last year and ended up with a square head.

Last edited:

PJaye

I'm not too picky, just something I can keep up for a week or two :lachen:

Since it's hot, I would do something like this

YvetteWithJoy

On break
View attachment 403589 Help! What do you tell your stylist to get your natural hair not to fall in a crazy triangle... I need layers, right? I have to have them cut my hair when it's straight and you can't see the triangle when it's straight!

I don't know. Hopefully others more informed can chime in.

I was thinking . . .

Many folks are not open to it, but the whole point of a Deva cut is to get your curly hair cut when DRY so the stylist can see it to shape it. A very good good Devachan-trained stylist knows that even the TINIEST snip of curly hair is cutting length, and he or she will snip very slightly all around the head just to shape and remove split ends . . . with the result of NOT losing a bunch of your length.

If you get a bad Devachan-trained stylist, you may lose a lot of hair, get a bad shape, etc.

It is so risky going to a hair stylist, that whether they cut on wet or dry hair, you gotta do deep research on them. :lol: Maybe you can ask around here on the boards or ask family and friends or Facebook for an excellent natural hair cutter/shaper. Then maybe you could schedule a consultation and also research them and watch them cut someone else's hair before considering letting them shape your hair.

I don't.

What do others think?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
  • I reordered some products and don't want to wash my hair until they get here in 2 weeks. But, I'll have to eventually so I don't look like the Weeknd (circa 2015):antlers:
  • There is a youtuber with beautiful hair and a great voice, but she's cross eyed and not very attractive and the combo makes her hard to watch. I subscribed anyway, but everytime I watch her I feel like a terribly petty person for feeling the way I feel. #trulyashamed
  • @lulu97 I have been loving all of your DIY posts lately. You are goals!:2inlove:
  • Henna has been really good for me and my hair. I'm glad I got back on the henna & ayurveda train, but I had to make some modifications because my scalp and oils...:badidea:. No.
  • I was testing out a few products and I've got it all figured out, my regimen is perfected. Now what? I guess I worry about length goals and hang out in Off Topic. If I stick around here I'll get sucked right back into PJism. :lachen:, who am I kidding? Ya'll will see me right back here tomorrow:D

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@Nightingale Awww thanks Sis! I appreciate that!

Just like you, my scalp was acting weird putting oils directly on it but the way I went around it was oil rinses. After washing & conditioning...just putting the oil on the hair and scalp them rinsing away that top greasy layer. You will still have a small amount left behind but not so much to be aggravate the scalp or leave the hair greasy.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
View attachment 403589 Help! What do you tell your stylist to get your natural hair not to fall in a crazy triangle... I need layers, right? I have to have them cut my hair when it's straight and you can't see the triangle when it's straight!

I told my (new) hair stylist that I didn't want to look like Dora and she offered me layers. I haven't washed my hair since my trim/cut (I got it straightened), so I can't say for sure if it worked.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
No matter what, ultra-defined coils = future TWA, lol. Yeah, I am easily amused.

DH has been making sure I cover my head before bed, including naps and extracurricular stuff. He is so weird...

LadyRaider

I don't know. Hopefully others more informed can chime in.

I was thinking . . .

Many folks are not open to it, but the whole point of a Deva cut is to get your curly hair cut when DRY so the stylist can see it to shape it. A very good good Devachan-trained stylist knows that even the TINIEST snip of curly hair is cutting length, and he or she will snip very slightly all around the head just to shape and remove split ends . . . with the result of NOT losing a bunch of your length.

If you get a bad Devachan-trained stylist, you may lose a lot of hair, get a bad shape, etc.

It is so risky going to a hair stylist, that whether they cut on wet or dry hair, you gotta do deep research on them. :lol: Maybe you can ask around here on the boards or ask family and friends or Facebook for an excellent natural hair cutter/shaper. Then maybe you could schedule a consultation and also research them and watch them cut someone else's hair before considering letting them shape your hair.

I don't.

What do others think?

I live on the frontier, unfortunately. So there aren't any stylist trained for natural hair around here. Or at least I haven't found any. A lady I work with is relaxed, goes every two weeks, etc. etc. After a year, I *think* her hair is starting to get a little longer.

I need to get some recs from my cousin in Dallas, and just plan to go to a salon there. Just fly up, go to the appointment, and fly home.