Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Rough hair usually signifies thirsty hair. For a few weeks, you may want to consider prepooing and deep conditioning with quality products and a nice leave in conditioner. It is going to take time to rehydrate those tresses but you should see significant improvements with a regular routine of prepooing and deep conditioning.

What shampoo and conditioner are you currently using?

I treat my hair well and dc 1-2 times a week.

I usually use Vitale pro but this wash day I used devacurl products.

I was trying to let my hair revert from the keratin so I haven't for about 3 months and I just can't seem to handle my "natural" hair.

Idk how to describe it but I hate the way it feels like it's coarse or something. that is the reason I liked BKT. Smooth hair and I keep my curls. without it products just kinda sit on my hair.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

I was trying to let my hair revert from the keratin so I haven't for about 3 months and I just can't seem to handle my "natural" hair.

Idk how to describe it but I hate the way it feels like it's coarse or something. that is the reason I liked BKT. Smooth hair and I keep my curls. without it products just kinda sit on my hair.
Ohh sounds like you have low porosity hair if I'm not mistaken

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Your hair looks really beautiful and shiny and manageable in your siggy. Can you just go back to BKT-ing it? It sounds like you don't want natural hair but you don't want relaxed hair. Have you tired of BKT-ing, or are the BKTs resulting in eventual damage or something?

HUGS! Because of the knotting and time-consuming detangling, if I could safely go from a 4a to a 3b, I would. It seems like you've got that going on.

Tefnut

How are these working for you?

I just started taking them a few days ago but they changed the name to Hairfluence last year.

I just started taking these hair envy vitamins. I might just stick with these since they contain MSM, biotin, and silica among other things.

they contain:

BIOTIN
Prevents hair loss, breakage & promotes overall healthy hair; for both existing hair and new growth.

BAMBOO EXTRACT (Providing 70% Silica)
Bamboo extract naturally contains a high concentration of Silica, an essential nutrient that nourishes vital tissues in hair, skin & nails; encourages a healthier, more youthful appearance.

COLLAGEN (Hydrolyzed)
Natural antioxidant providing 18 essential amino acids found to generate faster, healthier cell growth in hair, skin & nails.

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
Naturally-Occurring compound found in many foods; aids the body's production of collagen, promoting supple skin & hair.

KERATIN
Naturally-Occurring protein in the body; aids in protecting and repairing damaged hair.

VITAMIN C
Antioxidant that enhances immune function at a cellular level to promote healthy hair & skin.

FOLATE (as folic acid)
Promotes the development of healthy DNA, which controls healthy tissue growth and cell activity.

VITAMIN B12
Essential to red blood cell formation, which carries oxygen to scalp and hair follicles.

VITAMIN A
Antioxidant promoting formation and maintenance of healthy cells.

VITAMIN D3
Promotes the creation of new hair follicles and may "wake up" dormant follicles, providing fuller & more voluminous hair.

THIAMIN(E)
Promotes lush, strong hair.

Alma Petra

I have exactly the same situation here. I don't like how coarse my hair is and I believe that a part of this might be because I'm unable to properly hydrate it, but at the same time I feel that there is a limit to the degree of softness I can achieve with hydration so a part of this roughness is natural and inherent to my hair and ideally I should accept it and love it.

I have parts of my hair that were accidentally texlaxed. These are my favourite parts because they have the softness of relaxed hair, they are easier to hydrate (my natural hair is therefore probably lo-po) and they have texture. I have parts that are relaxed straight. I dislike them because I love curls and coils better. And I have natural hair which I struggle with because of the frizziness mostly, and also to a lesser extent because of the roughness.

Anyway, my question to you is: why are you trying to get rid of the softness of the BKT? If I were able to get great results with BKT without side-effects, I'd definitely continue to use it. I have not tried BKT because I'm afraid it will damage my hair. But you have already tried it and it works, no?

You could also go back to Vitale pro if devacurl products are making you frustrated. And why not try bunning? I think that a bun can make you look professional yet cute, and you can get smooth and sleek edges that can hide the roughness by just mild brushing.

I have rediscovered that I can get my buns to look rather smooth by brushing and finger smoothing over slightly wet hair with conditioner and gel on, when my natural texture sure looks nothing like that. It dries quickly and I can then break the cast. It's great as a temporary disguise for botched second day hair ;)

Since you are APL, you can probably create a very juicy bun.

beingofserenity

How are these working for you?

I just started taking them a few days ago but they changed the name to Hairfluence last year.

I am honestly not consistent. I take them for like 2-3 weeks and then stop for a few weeks. But when I have been, I noticed much harder nails and honestly I also feel that I've noticed slightly increased growth though that may not be from the vitamins. I think they are pretty good though. If you wanna start a challenge to take them, I'll join lol

HaveSomeWine

So, I went outside with wet/damp hair and it actually froze (well the outer/top parts). It became really hard and stiff and the coconut oil in my hair started flaking. It defrosted once I went back inside but still lol. I was terrified of handling the frozen parts and having it break off. It was 25 degrees outside. Lesson learned. Never go outside with wet/damp hair when the temperature is below freezing. :nono:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
A Sally's opened up ten minutes from me, which is a shock since I live in the boonies.

I just remembered something. Not only did conditioner give me flakes, but it also flaked off my hair when it dried. I had to give up cowashing exclusively because of that.

shasha8685

I was sitting in my hairdressers chair and talking about my hair type. I mentioned that I think that I'm 4a. She exclaims " You are not a 4a....you're not even a 4!"

Come to find out I'm 3c.....my hairdresser said I probably thought I was a 4 because I have so much hair.

Now that I'm reading about this type, my hair actually makes sense.

HaveSomeWine

I got nice, soft second day wash and go hair using just Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze Conditioner and Coconut Oil. No crunch. I guess my hair is just trying to tell me that it hates gels/curling creams/curling custards/stylers and doesn't want me using them. :laugh:

fifi134

So I BC'd for the second time last month and had braids in for 5 weeks. I took them out this past week and wore my hair short and LOVED it. I had had an appointment to get crochet twists and got them yesterday but I'm already itching to take them out bc I miss my hair. Has anyone taken extensions out 1-2 weeks after getting them? :sekret: :look:

Tefnut

Hmm... a challenge. Never headed one up before. Lemme get through this March detox and I'll consider it lol.

Are we the only 2 on here who's taking this? I haven't seen it meantioned anywhere else. I also bought Sports Research biotin 10,000 mcg to take with it.

For those unfamiliar with these products, see below:

Hairfluence Hair Vitamins (formerly Hair Envy):

Sports Research 10,000 mcg Biotin with Coconut Oil:

I am honestly not consistent. I take them for like 2-3 weeks and then stop for a few weeks. But when I have been, I noticed much harder nails and honestly I also feel that I've noticed slightly increased growth though that may not be from the vitamins. I think they are pretty good though. If you wanna start a challenge to take them, I'll join lol

LavenderMint

Really, Mea? Thanks for sharing.

So, is your sister's hair natural? Does your sister believe the whole system should be used or is she recommending a specific product or two? TIA! :kiss:

ETA: How long did she use it before she noticed an improvement in manageability?
I'm laaaaaaaaaaate. :look:
She is a mostly straight hair natural. She keeps telling me to try it but I haven't really seen any ringing endorsements from curly naturals and they haven't responded to those questions on their IG or FB.
According to her: "I think using the whole system gives me better results. I've used just the shampoo and conditioner without the caramel treatment and the results weren't as good. I noticed improved manageability after the first use and it gets better after each use. I only do the caramel treatment once a month whether I'm straightening it or not." My question, since it seems like the caramel treatment is the most important part, is whether it performs the same without the brand's shampoo & conditioner. Unfortunately, she has not tried that.
I hope that helps!! I really enjoyed interviewing her. We usually don't talk hair much because our hair is so different and our attitudes towards it are too.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm laaaaaaaaaaate. :look:
She is a mostly straight hair natural. She keeps telling me to try it but I haven't really seen any ringing endorsements from curly naturals and they haven't responded to those questions on their IG or FB.
According to her: "I think using the whole system gives me better results. I've used just the shampoo and conditioner without the caramel treatment and the results weren't as good. I noticed improved manageability after the first use and it gets better after each use. I only do the caramel treatment once a month whether I'm straightening it or not." My question, since it seems like the caramel treatment is the most important part, is whether it performs the same without the brand's shampoo & conditioner. Unfortunately, she has not tried that.
I hope that helps!! I really enjoyed interviewing her. We usually don't talk hair much because our hair is so different and our attitudes towards it are too.

Thanks so much, @MeaWea. I really appreciate it. Helpful. I always appreciate your posts.

And there's no late! :kiss:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
So I BC'd for the second time last month and had braids in for 5 weeks. I took them out this past week and wore my hair short and LOVED it. I had had an appointment to get crochet twists and got them yesterday but I'm already itching to take them out bc I miss my hair. Has anyone taken extensions out 1-2 weeks after getting them? :sekret: :look:
I've done it before.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
ONE product that is a detangler, cleanser, AND deep treatment?!?? How often would I be able to use this product, I wonder: Sometime I detangle twice a week, sometimes once a week, and sometimes once every 10 days or so, depending on whether I'm in a protective hairstyle or not. Twice a week cleansing with / use of this product seems like it could make for too much protein.

I emailed the company to see if they had a sample available and to find out what the instructions for use of the product are. For instance, could I sit with this on my head under the steamer or dryer for 30 minutes?, I wonder.

Also, shikakai powder is high on the list, and some folk have problem with it. I've never tried it.

I'd love to be able to streamline my regimen with a product that could do all three (detangle, cleanse, and DC/DT). Then I could detangle/cleanse/DT, rinse, apply styler, and go. That would make for WAY less manipulation of my hair.

INGREDIENTS
Purified water, Soupnut, Shikakai Powder, Jojoba oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetable), Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Vegetable Glycerin (and) Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract (and) Salvia officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract (and) Urtica urens (Nettle) Leaf Extract (and) Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (and) Matricaria recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Salix alba (White Willow) Bark Extract (and) Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) Flower Extract (and) Panax ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract (and) Ilex raraguariensis (Yerba Mate) Leaf Extract (and) Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate

https://www.natureskinshop.com/clea...-hair-loss-for-gorgeous-shiny-healthy-hair-39

upload_2017-3-12_18-0-20.png

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Pygmy_puff is right about it depending on your hair and scalp needs. My hair can stay moisturized for up to two weeks without washing, but my sensitive scalp cannot go that long. To avoid scalp irritation and flakes, I MUST shampoo and scalp exfoliate at least once a week.

@Bad&Bougee this all day.

I can go 2 weeks without washing. I washed today and my hair was still soft and moisturized. But according to my scalp, it was time. My scalp needs to be exfoliated and cleansed weekly.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have exactly the same situation here. I don't like how coarse my hair is and I believe that a part of this might be because I'm unable to properly hydrate it, but at the same time I feel that there is a limit to the degree of softness I can achieve with hydration so a part of this roughness is natural and inherent to my hair and ideally I should accept it and love it.

I have parts of my hair that were accidentally texlaxed. These are my favourite parts because they have the softness of relaxed hair, they are easier to hydrate (my natural hair is therefore probably lo-po) and they have texture. I have parts that are relaxed straight. I dislike them because I love curls and coils better. And I have natural hair which I struggle with because of the frizziness mostly, and also to a lesser extent because of the roughness.

Anyway, my question to you is: why are you trying to get rid of the softness of the BKT? If I were able to get great results with BKT without side-effects, I'd definitely continue to use it. I have not tried BKT because I'm afraid it will damage my hair. But you have already tried it and it works, no?

You could also go back to Vitale pro if devacurl products are making you frustrated. And why not try bunning? I think that a bun can make you look professional yet cute, and you can get smooth and sleek edges that can hide the roughness by just mild brushing.

I have rediscovered that I can get my buns to look rather smooth by brushing and finger smoothing over slightly wet hair with conditioner and gel on, when my natural texture sure looks nothing like that. It dries quickly and I can then break the cast. It's great as a temporary disguise for botched second day hair ;)

Since you are APL, you can probably create a very juicy bun.

Unfortunately I cut like 5 inches of uneven hair not to long ago and she shape of my hair sucks now. buns are ok but my hair is kinda too short for high buns which I love to wear. I don't wear buns often though because they seem to break off my hair in the middle. I plan on going back to the bkt. I'm just giving my hair a break for a while.

@Napp , I agree with the other poster; from your siggie and avatar pic your hair looks gorg!!!

Is the keratin treatment not working? How often are you using keratin?

The treatment works great. although I last used a different brand than the one I had success with. It was terrible. so I am letting it revert as much as possible before I start over again.

Your hair looks really beautiful and shiny and manageable in your siggy. Can you just go back to BKT-ing it? It sounds like you don't want natural hair but you don't want relaxed hair. Have you tired of BKT-ing, or are the BKTs resulting in eventual damage or something?

HUGS! Because of the knotting and time-consuming detangling, if I could safely go from a 4a to a 3b, I would. It seems like you've got that going on.

Bkt works for me but I don't do it regularly. 3 times a year max. I was letting my hair revert as much as possible so I can do a root to tip application and start over.

My hair looks easy but it's not. Looks can be deceiving. my siggy is after a fresh bkt. I wish I still had fotki to show some old pics of the nature of my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm kind of curious about Super Wet Natural Look Styling Gel, the Aloe version.

Of course, it's overpriced at Amazon. Several bloggers and vloggers I follow really love this gel. I wonder if it's any different from Wetline.

I ran the ingredients list through the ewg.org site, and only the methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone generated a rating of concern, but not a severe concern.