Quickweaves - Gel, glue and weave hair

RedVelvet310

You can either do it FAST or you can do it RIGHT... this 'quick-weave' is an example... wow =/ how does that stay... wow... just wow.

peppers01

Quick weaves have been my protective style for 3 years to help my hair grow from SL to BSL. I'm from Dallas, TX where quick weaves are infamous as the style to have. It allows for a variety of styles without damaging or cutting your own hair. My regimen is:

1. After I relax my hair, I deep condition, roller wrap, and wear it down for no longer than 3 weeks.

2. Then I put up a quick weave of my style; depends on how I feel (short, long, curly straight)
2a. When I do my qw I over-moisturize my hair, then I gel it back in a ponytail, and mold it, and dry it .
2b. I put 3 stocking caps on my hair, so that the glue doesn't seep through to my hair.
2c. Then I glue the tracks on.
Depending on the style, I usually keep them in for about 1 - 3 weeks.

3. After I take it down, I wash and condition my hair, and put another qw up. I do at least 3 qw's in between relaxing my hair.

The styles usually look so natural people don't believe it's my hair when I wear it down. Don't knock it until you try it. It grew my hair and allowed for me to wear different types of styles without breaking my hair.

These are my fav qw styles:

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

Glue + your hair= :drowning: :help: :cry:

There's so much about this style that I just don't understand.

Why not just wear a wig, instead of paying someone to mold your hair with damaging gel, and have glue applied to it? :perplexed You can take a wig off every single night for moisturizing and to allow your scalp to breathe a bit while you sleep. You can also wash like nuts, DC as often as needed... and change your style at the drop of a hat.

If you want a weave, why not get a sew in? Glue is the devil :imo:

truthbetold

Former quickweave addict checking in. They are popular in New Orleans as well...and if you get it done by the right person, you start to thinking its your hair! I haven't had one in over a year. But I CANNOT believe I used to PAY someone to do that to my hair. I'm so ashamed... Its only by the grace of God I hair ANY hair left on my head the way I was abusing it.

chokolate miss

they are also quite popular in cleveland. where they actually were in the show. i had one done a few years back. it looked really nice and i had no damage to my hair. however, i would never do it again. it's like playing russian roulette with your hair. they use tons and tons of brown gel and "mold" it down with a rat tail comb...

Napp

Ms. Nobody
my mom had this done on jamica ave but they gave her a short cut and it looked realistic!

she is natural and her hair was braided in dookie braids when she went into the shop and they placed paper towel over her hair and 2 stocking caps. then they glued the hair on and let it set. then they cut it

her hair wasnt damaged from the quick weave at all and she took it off every night. she said they told her not to but she couldnt keep it on her head. she kept it for a month or so. when the tracks started to fall i just reglued them on a manequin head covered w/ papertowel

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

my cousin in louisiana did this and she grew her heat-damaged hair to apl in a few months, it was super thick and very very healthy...it was quick weave, gelled-down wrap and everything...she swears by it...

Lebiya

I use to do this and probably everything else to my hair- its a good thing though, or else I wouldn't have found this miracle board.

kriolagirl

i'm getting a few of these made for me to wear for the next couple months. my stylist makes these "wigs" without having to put it on your head. he uses mannequin heads to make them and then you can take on/off or wear as you please. this way i have the diff styles w/out damage to my own hair underneath with any glue, gel etc. i'm actually wearing one now that a friend made for me out of bohyme brazilian wave hair. she used a styrofoam wig head and glued the tracks onto two wigs caps. i'm wearing it as a fall with a headband and take it off at night. so while i don't agree w/ the gel or glue on your own hair technique, there are other workable options.

peppers01

I can do them myself, since I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do something that I can figure out myself. I will say though that it was not always peaches and cream with quick weaves. I perfected the way I do mine by trying different methods to stop glue from getting to my hair, and I love them. I just use that 30 second oil that releases the glue from my edges(the only part that gets glue on it) take a small comb, saturate my hair with conditioner (Garnier Fructis), and gently comb. The glue slids right off without taking my hair with it. The gel doesn't damage my hair, cause I deep condition and do hot oil treatments. When my hair is down, it has a healthy shine and is manageable. To each it own though, but I don't blame those who don't want glue in their hair. It ravages our hair, especially those who just rip tracks out their head.

As a matter of fact, I have one in my head that is getting taken down today, and another is getting put up with my short curly do.

jerseyjill

I was watching an episode of SPLIT ENDS and they showed a woman getting a "quickweave". Her hair was gelled down in a wrap, then "molded". After it was dry, the stylist glued the weave extensions onto the hair.

I have NEVER, EVER heard of such a thing. Like, how can you wash your hair or even sweat? Won't the water loosen the "mold" underneath the glue?

Has anyone ever got this done? If so, how long did it last and did you wash your hair?

ETA: Salon was based in Texas. So it could be a Texas thing, cause I don't know ANYBODY in NYC doing that mess.

It's closer than you think sis. They do that nonsense out here in NJ. I twist my face at that tomfoolery. I'm from NYC originally and I refuse to adapt to that hair torture.

supermodelsonya

I can do them myself, since I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do something that I can figure out myself. I will say though that it was not always peaches and cream with quick weaves. I perfected the way I do mine by trying different methods to stop glue from getting to my hair, and I love them. I just use that 30 second oil that releases the glue from my edges(the only part that gets glue on it) take a small comb, saturate my hair with conditioner (Garnier Fructis), and gently comb. The glue slids right off without taking my hair with it. The gel doesn't damage my hair, cause I deep condition and do hot oil treatments. When my hair is down, it has a healthy shine and is manageable. To each it own though, but I don't blame those who don't want glue in their hair. It ravages our hair, especially those who just rip tracks out their head.

As a matter of fact, I have one in my head that is getting taken down today, and another is getting put up with my short curly do.

Okay, just went through your fotki and I bookmarked your quick weave tutorial! I love your hair and you did a really good job! Keep up the good work!

LovelyLisa

Well I do it. But I don't use the gel and I change up weekly.

I use Shea Butter leave conditioner and I wrap my hair, I put on 2 wig caps and glue the tracks on wig cap. No glue ever touchs my hair and I can take off each night if I want to. But I take off once a week because I sew down the sides and back for security. I do not use combs or clips because they damage my hair! I am having great growth this way.

LittleLuxe

Hah! I got that done right before I got bored/tired of weaves. But it sounds like you guys are talking about the old school version of what's done, they do have a new system out which you guys might be confusing with the old brown gel.

They have a new item out which sort of acts like the brown gel (which I never used btw, mine was clear and actually designed just for the weaving process, it worked a lot better than the brown gel) but what they do is apply the gel, then they apply this substance and then top with glue. The material is like...hmmm, it's tacky and it feels a teeny bit rubbery. It's supposed to eliminate the need to tear your hair up trying to remove the glue later without the need for stocking caps and etc.

It worked really well actually. The second you got your hair wet the substance melted and the glue came off right with it. I never had to use a glue removing shampoo.

DaDragonPrincess

I never got this done before, but my cousin came to me one time last year to take her quick weave out,so I can do a sew in. When I started to wrok with her quickweave, it was a messssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, the weave was glued to the cap and came through on her hair. I can tell she had it in a long time too,because her hair was dirty, you can see dirt built up and glue, I was on her hair all night and the next day.

:nono:

Shananyganz

Hah! I got that done right before I got bored/tired of weaves. But it sounds like you guys are talking about the old school version of what's done, they do have a new system out which you guys might be confusing with the old brown gel.

They have a new item out which sort of acts like the brown gel (which I never used btw, mine was clear and actually designed just for the weaving process, it worked a lot better than the brown gel) but what they do is apply the gel, then they apply this substance and then top with glue. The material is like...hmmm, it's tacky and it feels a teeny bit rubbery. It's supposed to eliminate the need to tear your hair up trying to remove the glue later without the need for stocking caps and etc.

It worked really well actually. The second you got your hair wet the substance melted and the glue came off right with it. I never had to use a glue removing shampoo.

@the bolded:: I think you are referring to Gro-Protect Solutions by Morning Glory. Seems to be all the rage for quickweaves.