Questions about setting curlformers and bantu knots?

curlytwirly06

So for the past 3 years my constant style has been a braid out. I have experimented with other styles but due to my fine, thin, low density hair, it never turns out well. Most of the time it looks scalpy and oily. I have gotten more experience product wise and want to try again using products better suited for my hair.

About Bantu knot, I saw many YouTube videos where everyone started on blow dried hair. If I did this I think it would give me better results and fluffy hair but I am not good at blowdrying and hate all the little broken strands I attempt a blowout. I thought I could possibly stretch it out with a braid out but that would not give me the volume I am looking for. Any ideas? Any body have any techniques or suggestions on what I should do?

Curlformers: I am terrible at parting my hair and I feel like that had something to so with my lackluster results. I have tons of them and want to learn how to use them to get good results but no matter what I do it does not come out well. I usually put my hair in 4 quarters and slide a piece of hair through. I've always been told that you should start on sipping wet hair but would it be better and have more volume if I tried to do it on dry braid-out hair? What would I use for hold?

Of anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you.

mssoconfused

My hair is fine too and I find I have to start most styles with a wash and go in order to achieve big fluffy hair and a non "scalpy" look. I've used curl formers once and it made me look scalpy. I plan to try them again this weekend on wet hair. I've also seen people use them on dry hair and it's given a fluffier result. My fear with that technique is trying to comb/detangle dry hair to get the desired look in curlformer.

curlytwirly06

My hair is fine too and I find I have to start most styles with a wash and go in order to achieve big fluffy hair and a non "scalpy" look. I've used curl formers once and it made me look scalpy. I plan to try them again this weekend on wet hair. I've also seen people use them on dry hair and it's given a fluffier result. My fear with that technique is trying to comb/detangle dry hair to get the desired look in curlformer.

Yep, me to. I hate putting combs in my hair unless it's wash day. I feel like I'm style challenged and nothing will ever look right on my head.

MsKinkycurl

I have fine hair and the only way can keep my curl formers scalp free is to use a lot of them. The curls don't hold if I separate them after they set. I put in nearly 80 curl formers using small sections that I grab at random. I don't use a comb, I just make sure the parts are clean enough to make sure all the hair is going into the right curl former. then in the morning after I take them out I stretch them in two buns while I get ready then take them down. I set them on wet hair and only use a shea butter mix as a leave in. When I take them down I also add some grapeseed oil for shine. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

LadyPBC

@MsKinkycurl - may I ask what your recipe is for your shea butter mix? Im thinking of doing crochet braids but have been lamenting about trying to blow dry my hair. Forgot that the curlformers are great for stretching my hair. Though I'm not sure why I have to stretch my hair to cornrow it? I know, I know - wrong thread.

Last edited:

krissyhair

I have very fine hair. I can use 20-30 curl formers for my entire head. Curl formers, and all sets work best for me on soaking wet hair. If I sit under the dryer, I get a style that allows me to comb and separate it without friz, just glamorous volume. I'm not very good at parting either. I just get a handheld mirror so I can see the back of my head, start at the bottom and work my way up.

As for blow drying, I like the old school dryers that are square shaped, rather than nozzle shaped with the brush attachment, or the hair dryers that are actually shaped like a round brush. It's a lot easier.

faithVA

You have received some great tips. In addition I would add
1. Keep your styling products very light. Water based styling products work best. Heavier products tend to make your curls drop.

2. Let your hair cool before removing the curlformers. If you can let your hair sit for 30 minutes or more do so. Removing the curlformers while the hair is still warm tends to make your curls drop.

3. When I separate my curls I take small sections and twirl them around my fingers. Seems to help.

4. I think the more you use the less sparse it will look but if you use more then you really may want to separate them.

I have done curlformers on dry hair but I do spritz the hair first with a styler, diluted conditioner, etc. Then work it into the strands. The hair is damp and not soaking wet. I do use a comb. It prevents my hair from tangling later.

If I think of anything else I will come back.

MsKinkycurl

@MsKinkycurl - may I ask what your recipe is for your shea butter mix? Im thinking of doing crochet braids but have been lamenting about trying to blow dry my hair. Forgot that the curlformers are great for stretching my hair. Though I'm not sure why I have to stretch my hair to cornrow it? I know, I know - wrong thread.

LadyPBC

My shea butter mix is really similar to naptutal85's sticky shea butter mix on YouTube. http://youtu.be/X3Ok14CgADM
The only difference is that I add a small amount of Argan oil and slightly more castor oil. I plan to take the Argan oil out of the mix when I make a new batch for the winter.

Curl formers might be a great alternative to blow drying. I get the straightest results on my 4b/a curls when I avoid glycerin in my leave in and use smaller sections. HTH

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

kupenda

I do not use a comb for bantu knots if I can help it. I also make them much smaller, so that I achieve more volume. As for curlformers, I must comb through my ends or I end up with tangles. And I use many more curlers to keep it from looking scalpy. I separate with a light oil on my fingers. But I usually only get a day, maybe 2 out of a curlformers set. I tried lottabody, but I got some pretty lackluster results.

And dont feel bad. Im horrible at blow drying too. I dont understand how I can be so bad at it! You would think it was pretty simple. Ah well