Bantu knots

~~HoneyComb~~

Does anyone have a bantu knot tutorial for natural or relaxed hair. I'm interested in doing a bantu knot-out on my hair, but first I have to learn how to do the knots. Thank you!

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Does anyone have a bantu knot tutorial for natural or relaxed hair. I'm interested in doing a bantu knot-out on my hair, but first I have to learn how to do the knots. Thank you!

Ms. Reiko has one in her Fotki and it's good! She actually took the time out and did a video:yep:

Leslie_C

I couldn't find Ms. Reiko's Fokti? Help!!

yeah I cant find her either...lol. I searched lhcf too and cant find a member by that name.:ohwell: Help us qtslim! I have a hard time knowing the difference between pincurls and bantu knots. Als mine come out funny sticking out in different directions...I need some help.

santwon

I have a hard time knowing the difference between pincurls and bantu knots.

When I think of pin curls, I think that they HAVE to come out and be curly. Knots are a style in and of themselves.

As for me, I section the hair about the width I would for a braid or something and just twirl the hair around until it folds up on itself. You can also do this with a twist or a braid. Then you fold the hair up towards the base of the coil/twirl/twist/braid and wrap the remainder of your hair around and around the base of your knot and then tuck the end into the base of the knot. Or if your hair is short and won't hold (or won't hold for any other reason), then you can use black rubber bands. I just make sure to buy the kind that say they won't snap or break your hair.

ETA:
Ah, looked at the video. Wow. videos on Fotki, I'm not quite there yet. Anyways, her twists are swirling like a conch shell/cinnamon bun, but knots are supposed to come up and out. Like Jada Pinkett-Smith in the Matrix, or in my fotki or a lot of others. The password's in my profile. I also have a photo of a knot-out in my transitioning folder.

Last edited:

Isis

When I think of pin curls, I think that they HAVE to come out and be curly. Knots are a style in and of themselves.

As for me, I section the hair about the width I would for a braid or something and just twirl the hair around until it folds up on itself. You can also do this with a twist or a braid. Then you fold the hair up towards the base of the coil/twirl/twist/braid and wrap the remainder of your hair around and around the base of your knot and then tuck the end into the base of the knot. Or if your hair is short and won't hold (or won't hold for any other reason), then you can use black rubber bands. I just make sure to buy the kind that say they won't snap or break your hair.

ETA:
Ah, looked at the video. Wow. videos on Fotki, I'm not quite there yet. Anyways, her twists are swirling like a conch shell/cinnamon bun, but knots are supposed to come up and out. Like Jada Pinkett-Smith in the Matrix, or in my fotki or a lot of others. The password's in my profile. I also have a photo of a knot-out in my transitioning folder.

Although I pincurl a lot, I haven't made bantu knots yet. I know how though since I've twisted a lock of hair until it folds/curls up on itself as you described. Pincurls are different--they mimic using a roller but without one and I do the kind that's flat against my head.

I like SouthernGurl's tutorial on what she calls pincurls but are realy bantu knots. Her results were so beautiful. :love:

Isis

Honeycomb--you and your hair are so beautiful! I love your flexirod sets and flat twists--one of these days I'll learn how to do them. :)

santwon

Yeah, I hadn't seen that kind of pincurl before. I'd only seen the flat against your head kind, but it's cool to have options. I didn't think laying my naps against my head would do anything but make me have to detangle like crazy later.

Also, do you have a link to the tutorial, I'd like to see it.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

Honeycomb--you and your hair are so beautiful! I love your flexirod sets and flat twists--one of these days I'll learn how to do them. :)

Thank you Isis!! I want a ponytail like yours one day. And thanks for all your help ladies!!