Questions about Clay?

Do you use your clay as a DC?

• Yes I use Clay just mixed with water as a DC.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I use Clay as a DC but I mix it with other things.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No, I use my clay just to clarify/cleanse my hair

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I don't use clay at all.

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*Muffin*

I've been using clay for a couple of months now for my hair (mostly as a clarifier). I started off using Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (which over time made my hair feel rough and I didn't like it) to using Red Clay (also known as Rhassoul) and I like red clay a lot better. But the question I had is how many people on this forum use their clay as a DC? I noticed that on the Anita Grant web page she uses red clay in her DC blocks. Despite the trace minerals it contains I thought it was mostly for clarifying.

2themax

I've been using clay for a couple of months now for my hair (mostly as a clarifier). I started off using Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (which over time made my hair feel rough and I didn't like it) to using Red Clay (also known as Rhassoul) and I like red clay a lot better. But the question I had is how many people on this forum use their clay as a DC? I noticed that on the Anita Grant web page she uses red clay in her DC blocks. Despite the trace minerals it contains I thought it was mostly for clarifying.

I L-O-V-E using Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, but I never knew that you could use it on your hair. I've been using it on my face & neck to clean, firm and tighten my pores. When you use it on your hair, how long do you keep it on and how long does it take to rinse it out. (It takes a little extra effort to rinse it off the skin - but it's worth it:yep:

*Muffin*

I L-O-V-E using Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, but I never knew that you could use it on your hair. I've been using it on my face & neck to clean, firm and tighten my pores. When you use it on your hair, how long do you keep it on and how long does it take to rinse it out. (It takes a little extra effort to rinse it off the skin - but it's worth it:yep:

I love using clay for my hair. I usually leave it on for around 20 to 30 minutes, or until the clay hardens on my head. When I'm claying my hair I tend to add more oils than for my face, but the results are very light feeling and soft hair. I don't know what happened with me and the aztec healing clay. My hair used to love it. Maybe I didn't rinse it out thoroughly or something.

La Colocha

I have tried the aztec clay on my hair and had a horrible reaction to it. I now just use it on my face.

*Muffin*

I have tried the aztec clay on my hair and had a horrible reaction to it. I now just use it on my face.

Did it make your hair feel really rough and straw-like? Because that's how it was starting to make mine feel. And it was weird because the first time I used it my hair felt great, but each successive time I used it I noticed my hair was getting rougher feeling until finally I stopped using it on my hair altogether. And the stranger part is that I mix my red clay the same way I mixed my Aztec clay (which is green clay) and it hasn't had a bad affect on my hair at all. But I guess that just proves that statement that what's good for some may not necessarily be good for all :).

Fhrizzball

Have you tried Bentonite clay? Some people use that as a DC. I've been tempted to try it but I'll just wait until I run out of my shampoo first.

La Colocha

Did it make your hair feel really rough and straw-like? Because that's how it was starting to make mine feel. And it was weird because the first time I used it my hair felt great, but each successive time I used it I noticed my hair was getting rougher feeling until finally I stopped using it on my hair altogether. And the stranger part is that I mix my red clay the same way I mixed my Aztec clay (which is green clay) and it hasn't had a bad affect on my hair at all. But I guess that just proves that statement that what's good for some may not necessarily be good for all :).

At first it was nice and soft then about 2 hours later my hair was hard and my scalp was itching like crazy. At first i thought i didn't rinse out well but i did my scalp was white with dry skin and had little bumps all over it. I had to use a clarifying shampoo with sls to strip my hair and scalp, then i dc'd over night and my hair was back to normal. Never again, i like it on my face though.

*Muffin*

Have you tried Bentonite clay? Some people use that as a DC. I've been tempted to try it but I'll just wait until I run out of my shampoo first.

Yeah. Aztec Secret is actually Bentonite Clay. Maybe some forms of bentonite clay work differently than others.

*Muffin*

At first it was nice and soft then about 2 hours later my hair was hard and my scalp was itching like crazy. At first i thought i didn't rinse out well but i did my scalp was white with dry skin and had little bumps all over it. I had to use a clarifying shampoo with sls to strip my hair and scalp, then i dc'd over night and my hair was back to normal. Never again, i like it on my face though.

My scalp was itchy too! I thought that was normal, though. A side affect of the purification properties, lol. But I notice my scalp doesn't feel that way with the red clay.

natstar

Im actually going to use red clay this weekend-with an Anita grant recipe I got from curlynikki's website. I hope it turns out ok

vkb247

How often are you ladies doing this?

I have used bentonite clay in the past (forgot what I mixed it with) and today I used a facial clay mask that I got at the dollar store. It looks like this one but I used the Oatmeal Honey type:
facial clay.jpg

These are the ingredients:

Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Ethylalcohol, Alginic acid, polyoxyethylene sorbitan monooleate, ZnO, fragrance, and colors.

It was very moisturizing on my face so I new it would be great in my hair but I am assuming it isn't a good idea to use clay very often.

Bunmi

From what I understand rhassoul is used for conditioning and bentonite is used for clarifying.

I used bentonite this past weekend. It's a great clarifier but it didn't make my hair as soft as I expected. Since my hair texture is fine (natural 4b), I'll probably only use it every 6-8 weeks to avoid over drying. I've never used rhassoul.

GGsKin

I believe bentonite clay is green clay. I've used it on my face and hair and most recently in MHM.

In an applicator bottle (minus the top) I mix up about 4-5 heaped spoons of the clay with a splash of ACV, a tsp of honey, about the same of EVOO, a tsp of cayenne pepper (for my scalp) and about enough warm water to make about 8-10oz. I shake vigorously and sometimes poke with a stick to make sure it's all mixed.

I apply in small sections like a relaxer and really squeeze and smooth it into my hair and cover with a shower cap to keep it moist. I usually keep it on for 1hr+. Luckily it doesn't dry my hair out and leaves it feeling very soft. I also use rhassoul clay with a few less additions.

almond eyes

I guess that one should test the ph in the products to ensure that if the clay mixture is too alkaline the result would be dry hair even though at first it would appear to be soft. That is why commercial products can be deceiving until you look at the product list and then test the ph. But you can doctor your commercial products to bring down their ph. Our hair likes products that are acidic and lower on the ph scale. So keep in mind that the clay I am not sure the ph on that but the water is neutral would need something acidic like lemon juice or aloe vera juice to make the clay mixture more acid. Alkaline clay mixture may soften like a relaxer at first but then end up with dryness so you would need something in that clay mixture or another product to bring the ph down so your hair can stay soft.

Best,
Almond Eyes