Question for the Relaxed Ladies with Permanent Color

Montreal

A Phobia of Scissors
I am currently relaxed and I'm considering coloring all of my hair. Ive had highlights in the past but never one solid color. I usually stretch 12 weeks between perms (my next scheduled perm is August 1st) and I was wondering if it would be safe to color next month and just stretch for three more months for my perm. Im asking because my newgrowth is getting thick and Im wondering if its best to perm first.

BTW, heres the color I was thinking of changing to. TIA!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r47/radha2/PaulaPatto_Kambo_9998973_400.jpg

Divake22

Be very careful with your hair. My colorist fried my hair 2 years ago (which is why I am here). I made the mistake of blow drying w/comb attachment twice a week, wearing the scrunci bun clip and stretching my relaxer 10 wks= severely broken hair that would not even take a relaxer. I had to cut my APL completely off and start over. The hair she cut off felt completely like air (if you can imagine that). I also did not know about moisturizing my hair--especially my ends.

I would never do it again. I am going to try more natural ways like henna once I get settled in my new location.

Good luck!

Daisimae

My hair is relaxed and permanently colored to cover my grey. About six months from now I will be coloring it a couple of shades lighter. I've had the lighter color and relaxer while my stylist grew my hair out before.

This time, I am washing twice a week and deep conditioning after every wash. Use leave-in's that help with moisture. Because of the leave-ins, my hair isn't dry every day so I moisturize at least every other day and seal with coconut oil. I use a protein reconstructor every other week. I also make sure to use a satin cap every night when I sleep.

So far, so good. My hair is soft and moisturized it isn't breaking and my grey is covered. I'm happy.

Jaegermany

I just dyed my hair jet black. I dont notice any real breakage just shedding. I condition like a mad woman. Protein/moisture. Currently my hair looks healthy and I dont really use heat (only the hood dryer).

I say go for it but be extra extra careful. I would color it and I would baggy my ends and dc alot and probably do a search and destroy before hand.

Going darker usually doesnt do as much damage as lighter and then also I find that when your hair is lighter you can see more of its flaws~

Jae

seeminglysweet

I am currently relaxed and I'm considering coloring all of my hair. Ive had highlights in the past but never one solid color. I usually stretch 12 weeks between perms (my next scheduled perm is August 1st) and I was wondering if it would be safe to color next month and just stretch for three more months for my perm. Im asking because my newgrowth is getting thick and Im wondering if its best to perm first.

BTW, heres the color I was thinking of changing to. TIA!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r47/radha2/PaulaPatto_Kambo_9998973_400.jpg

You should relax first before coloring. Once relaxed it is advised that you wait AT LEAST two weeks before getting a permanent color applied. I would wait 4 weeks just to be safe if it were me.

guudhair

My stylist just damaged my hair very badly earlier this month by putting a permanent color in my hair and relaxing it two weeks later...my hair was extremely thick until she relaxed it...now its really thin and still breaking and sheeding (which led me to become a LHCF member)...I haven't been back to her since and I'm trying to get my thick, healthy hair back as I type...what I've learned since that "incident" is that you should never relax a color but do the opposite...also going darker is not as damaging....if only I knew then (that I should have found this forum three weeks ago)...

pistachio

I'm relaxed, and my hair is permanently colored. I used Bigen Oriental Black. I heard that relaxing dulls the color so I'd relax first, then color.

Montreal

A Phobia of Scissors
Thanks ladies for the responses. Im definetly going to get my relaxer first in August. Im scared stretching too long would add to the shedding. Also, I currently rinse my hair with a black semi-perminent rinse. I havent done it in awhile and I plan on using olive oil treatments to pull whats left of the rinse out. The color that I want to dye my hair is light brown. Would this be damaging coming from my natural hair color, drk brown?

seeminglysweet

Thanks ladies for the responses. Im definetly going to get my relaxer first in August. Im scared stretching too long would add to the shedding. Also, I currently rinse my hair with a black semi-perminent rinse. I havent done it in awhile and I plan on using olive oil treatments to pull whats left of the rinse out. The color that I want to dye my hair is light brown. Would this be damaging coming from my natural hair color, drk brown?

You would be lightening your hair which is always a risk. Some people's hair can deal with color better than others.

I am also considering an all over color and concerned about potential damage to my hair although my hair has handled highlights well in the past.

I am also concerned about having "roots" Yuck.

I've found in the past that highlights can lighten the overall tone of your hair. So all in all I think I will darken my hair before doing an all over lighter color. You may want to consider highlights and lowlights. I have had this done and LOVED the results.