Removing highlights with semi-permanent color?

blessedandlucky

Is this possible? My highlights, which were a beautiful color in the red family, have turned on me. They are now orangish and brassy. I just want them gone. I would normally go back to my stylist but I truly cAnnot afford it at this time. I was thinking of using via natural dark brown semi permanent hair color. Would that work? If not, any suggestions? They are looking very tacky and unprofessional.

For reference, I am relaxed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NikStarrr

Yep. You can...or you could just tone them down with a rinse (though temporary, it could be less damaging)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

outspokenwallflower

Just co-signing on what nikki-star stated; with a semi-permanent, the highlighted areas will still be a bit lighter/brighter than the area's not colored but it will tone them down enough to not be as garish as you're describing them to be.

To fill them in AND have longer results, a demi-permanent would do the trick. I'm relaxed as well and this is a good way to make the highlighted almost as uniform as the rest of your hair. It also lasts waaaaaaay longer than a semi-color. It's not as damaging as permanent color and there are some brands whose demi formula's are conditioning as well.

P.S. Orrrrrrr, if you decide you may for whatever reason, not want to completely give up your highlights, you can simply tone down the brassiness and they'll turn a lovely honey or light brown, etc. shade depending on the darkness of the ash color you use to tone them down with. Look for 'ash' in the color description (be it semi or demi), or for a quick fix, use a violet shampoo. HTH!

Last edited:

manter26

I used Clariol Beautiful Collection in Black over highlights I've had for about a year. They were blond, then reddish. I think I colored a week or two ago and I can already see my highlights again. I'm sure the color will take better on a relaxed head because the cuticle is already open from chemicals. In my experience, as a natural, I feel like I wasted my time and money.

tru4reele

I had the same problem but with blonde highlights. What I did was use a darkest brown rinse. And then 2 weeks later I used a natural black demi permanant by Clairol Natural Insticts. It is a demi permanent and comes with really good donditioner. If you try to go straight from blonde to black it will turn green. It happene to me trust me. Now my hair is all uniform and in good health. I'm natural but I have used the natural instincts with no problem.

outspokenwallflower

I had the same problem but with blonde highlights. What I did was use a darkest brown rinse. And then 2 weeks later I used a natural black demi permanant by Clairol Natural Insticts. It is a demi permanent and comes with really good donditioner. If you try to go straight from blonde to black it will turn green. It happene to me trust me. Now my hair is all uniform and in good health. I'm natural but I have used the natural instincts with no problem.

This is so true; a friend of mine had blond-ish highlights and when she put a black rinse over them they looked fine at first...until she stepped into the sunlight.:nono:

blessedandlucky

outspokenwallflower - thanks! do you have any recommendations for a demi-permanent brand? i will probably pm you soon to learn more. i'm not going from blonde to black, but from red to blackish. i was thinking about using a dark brown color. do you think that would work?

Just co-signing on what nikki-star stated; with a semi-permanent, the highlighted areas will still be a bit lighter/brighter than the area's not colored but it will tone them down enough to not be as garish as you're describing them to be.

To fill them in AND have longer results, a demi-permanent would do the trick. I'm relaxed as well and this is a good way to make the highlighted almost as uniform as the rest of your hair. It also lasts waaaaaaay longer than a semi-color. It's not as damaging as permanent color and there are some brands whose demi formula's are conditioning as well.

P.S. Orrrrrrr, if you decide you may for whatever reason, not want to completely give up your highlights, you can simply tone down the brassiness and they'll turn a lovely honey or light brown, etc. shade depending on the darkness of the ash color you use to tone them down with. Look for 'ash' in the color description (be it semi or demi), or for a quick fix, use a violet shampoo. HTH!

Last edited:

outspokenwallflower

Dark brown will work great. The only demi brands I've used (and have gone back to) is Clairol Natural Instincts when I'm on a budget, and Redken Shades EQ :love: when I have a bit more money to spend. But I'm sure there are other brands out there that will do the trick! :D