Question for relaxed ladies who flat iron their hair.

Glib Gurl

I am at that point where the new growth is coming in, but my next relaxer is several weeks away. For me, that means it's time to break out the flat iron. I've never used it regularly - only once in a while. But I'm thinking that I might begin to use it more often to achieve straight styles. So, to those ladies who are relaxed and do flat iron regularly I'm wondering --

1. How often do you flat iron?
2. What protective agents do you use on your hair beforehand?
3. Any tips for keeping breakage to a minimum (in terms of technique or maintainence after flat ironing)?
4. Do you use any sort of hair straightening product (like a gel or perhaps the extend-a-perm kit from Soft & Beautiful) in trying to maintain the straightness?
5. Any other general tips from a newbie to flatironing who also wants to promote health and growth?

Thank you! :kiss:

mw138

I try to flat iron only on special occasions. Flat irons and curling irons were the downfall of my hair prior to joining LHCF, so I try to stay away from excessive heat. When I do flat iron I use a heat protectant.

I usually rollerset my hair, so fortunately, when my new growth comes in, it's not as noticable. However, there have been times when I use the flat iron to straighten some of that NG out! :grin:

gymfreak336

I am at that point where the new growth is coming in, but my next relaxer is several weeks away. For me, that means it's time to break out the flat iron. I've never used it regularly - only once in a while. But I'm thinking that I might begin to use it more often to achieve straight styles. So, to those ladies who are relaxed and do flat iron regularly I'm wondering --

1. How often do you flat iron? Maybe once every other week, just a couple of pieces, maybe to straighten out a piece that curled up when I was sleeping; when I have alot of new growth, I flat iron jus the new growth once a week
2. What protective agents do you use on your hair beforehand?I use chi silk infusion serum, paul mitchel serum, or smooth and shine serum
3. Any tips for keeping breakage to a minimum (in terms of technique or maintainence after flat ironing)?I flat iron on the lowest heat possible, I just let it get warm. I only pass over each section once and I make sure I have deep conditioned in the last two days.
4. Do you use any sort of hair straightening product (like a gel or perhaps the extend-a-perm kit from Soft & Beautiful) in trying to maintain the straightness?I have tried that kit and I didn't like it. I think the mizani thermasmooth system would be much much better. I usually have no problem maintaining the straightness. It usually last until I wash it again.
5. Any other general tips from a newbie to flatironing who also wants to promote health and growth?HoneyDew uses heat successfully so search for a couple of her posts.

Thank you! :kiss

KAT25

I flat iron my hair once a week. I wash my hair 2 times a week for the first wash of the week I normally roller set my hair and the second wash closer to the weekend I flat iron my hair and I use this as my heat protectant it works well and it give my hair nice shine. I have a FHI flat iron but normally to get them tough root I use my Conair (black and yellow) flat iron that I got from wal-mart (cheapie but is is good)

Smoothn Shine SILK N CURL Curl Polish - 4oz bottle

[FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Smooth’n Shine Polisher
Silk’n Curl styling

Heat protect
Curl Polish

Silk, vitamin E & Kukui Nut Oil to protect & shine

Formulated with silk amino acids Kukui nut oil and Vitamin E, for perfecting curly styles.

Direction:
Use on wet or dry hair prior to heat styling and after for a brilliant finish.

[/FONT]

Katt73

I used to flatiron after my weekly wash, but I stopped for a few months after joining LHCF and hearing about how terrible it is. Now, I'm back to flatironing weekly after realizing that it really never caused me any damage as long as it was done on clean, heat-protected hair.

Nexxus Heat Protexx (spray) and a silicone serum. I'm currently using Aveda Emollient Polishing Gloss.

3. Any tips for keeping breakage to a minimum (in terms of technique or maintainence after flat ironing)?
I only run the iron over my hair once. (OK...twice at the most, but that's only if it didn't come out "right" the first time).

4. Do you use any sort of hair straightening product (like a gel or perhaps the extend-a-perm kit from Soft & Beautiful) in trying to maintain the straightness?
Nope.

5. Any other general tips from a newbie to flatironing who also wants to promote health and growth?
Do what works for you. Only use heat on clean hair and use the lowest temperature that works.

Thank you! :kiss: You're welcome!! :grin:

Missi

2 - 4 times a month
Heat Protectant
keep ur hair from rubbing on ur clothing & wrap hair before bed
i find rollersetting (silk-wrap) than flat iron the next day: gives me that relaxed look everytime: no matter how many inches of ng
stay away from flatironing as much as possible: a flatiron is something that causes damages to our hair so u can't expect to change ur products and expect the flatiron to stop causing damages: it still does: give rollersetting a try

Thank you! :kiss:

hope this helps:yep:

Ivonnovi

I find all the suggestions GREAT!!!!

I flat iron on most Friday's and I use a pretty high heat setting.
I go over the newgrowth 2x, 3x if I did not blowdry. mid-hair lenght 2x, pull straight through to the ends 1x, and ony on the last pull through, scalp to ends. I do not attempt a curl with this process, :nono:where my hair falls is where I leave it.
So far this has done a tremendous job of salvaging my ends.

As many have indicated, clean hair is essential, so is heathy hair
(with that said, start with a lower heat setting untill you find what your hair response well to).
Use as few products as possible to avoid buildup and that awful smell a "seasoned" curlingwand/flat iron gets cause it's got stuff baked on it.

Good luck.

LovelyLionessa

1. How often do you flat iron? Every now and then (sparingly), like at the end of a relaxer stretch or to straighten the odd kink at my roots after rollersetting.
2. What protective agents do you use on your hair beforehand? CHI Infusion is my favorite.
3. Any tips for keeping breakage to a minimum (in terms of technique or maintainence after flat ironing)? I apply direct heat to roots primarily, never to ends. Afterwards, I resort to low manipulation, (ie. bantus, loose bunning.)
4. Do you use any sort of hair straightening product (like a gel or perhaps the extend-a-perm kit from Soft & Beautiful) in trying to maintain the straightness? For an extra straightening boost on NG I'll use Fantasia IC straightening serum (pink bottle.)
5. Any other general tips from a newbie to flatironing who also wants to promote health and growth? Keep direct heat to a minumum, master rollersetting so you'll need it even less, always use heat protectant and flat iron completely dry & clean hair. :wink2: