Flat Iron Technique Question

BioGeekChic

Maybe someone can help me...
I haven't had a perm in almost 6 months so I have a lot of new growth. I just purchased a Sedu flat iron (1.5") and today I tried to flat iron my hair (on a clean head of hair off course). My hair turned out to be dry and kind of sticky (too much heat protectant?). And I wasn't even able to get to my roots straight or flat. I have very thick hair so am I expecting too much from my flat iron in hoping that I can get hair that looks and feels relaxed? Or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestion would be very helpful including your own personal techniques for flatironing your hair.

Thanks in advance...:)

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I have never flat ironed my hair before this first try so I am still learning how to flat iron properly.

Last edited:

NuMe2004

Hi there,

I am all natural, so I hope I can still help. I flat iron my hair regularly, sometimes as often as once a week. It took me a long time to learn how to flat iron my hair properly, so I must say that practice definitely makes perfect. However, I think it's a combination of products and technique.

As for products, I would recommend a moisturizer that is not too heavy. I highly recommend Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion. I have also started using something called You Straight, which has been working well for me also.

In addition to finding the right moisturizer, I would also say that allowing my hair to air dry 80% before blow drying with a CERAMIC (use anything other than a ceramic dryer, and your hair can fry!) blow dryer helps get my hair really straight. Check out my photo album for more advice. I have an entire album dedicated to the straightening process.

Good luck!

BioGeekChic

NuMe2004 said:
Hi there,

I am all natural, so I hope I can still help. I flat iron my hair regularly, sometimes as often as once a week. It took me a long time to learn how to flat iron my hair properly, so I must say that practice definitely makes perfect. However, I think it's a combination of products and technique.

As for products, I would recommend a moisturizer that is not too heavy. I highly recommend Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion. I have also started using something called You Straight, which has been working well for me also.

In addition to finding the right moisturizer, I would also say that allowing my hair to air dry 80% before blow drying with a CERAMIC (use anything other than a ceramic dryer, and your hair can fry!) blow dryer helps get my hair really straight. Check out my photo album for more advice. I have an entire album dedicated to the straightening process.

Good luck!

Thanks NuMe2004

Your hair is beautiful both curly and flat ironed. Your hair seems to be thick also. Do you think I should exchange my flat iron (1.5") for a 1" so that I can get closer to the roots? Also when you blow dry do you find that you lose alot of hair. My new growth is very thick and I fear that a comb attachment would just rip my hair out. One more thing what do you use as your heat protectant?

Thanks again

NuMe2004

Thanks BioGeekChic for the compliment!

To answer your questions, I don't think there is much difference in a 1.5" flat iron vs. a 1", so I wouldn't run out and buy a new one just yet. Practice with that one first. However, I must say that I used to use a 2" flat iron, but went down to a 1" after reading up on the subject and learning that straightening a tiny section of hair vs. a thick section helps distribute heat more evenly. Plus, I've found that smaller irons are easier to manipulate.

To answer your 2nd question, I don't lose a lot of hair because for one, I use a ceramic blow dryer, which I've found is much easier on the hair than non-ceramic ones. Also, I comb heat protectant through my hair before I do any drying, which helps. Allowing the hair to air dry also helps. However, blow drying your hair without the comb until it's 80% dry, then finishing with a comb helps too.

For your last question, two products I use for a heat protectant is the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion. This is my staple. I comb some in my hair after it's towel dried, before I put any heat in it. Another good product that I've been using lately is one called You Straight.

Hope this helps!

BioGeekChic

Thanks again NuMe2004, you really have helped. I have a dinner to go to this weekend so I will try again on Saturday. Hopefully things will go alot better!! :)

MissScarlett

NuMe2004 said:
Thanks BioGeekChic for the compliment!

To answer your questions, I don't think there is much difference in a 1.5" flat iron vs. a 1", so I wouldn't run out and buy a new one just yet. Practice with that one first. However, I must say that I used to use a 2" flat iron, but went down to a 1" after reading up on the subject and learning that straightening a tiny section of hair vs. a thick section helps distribute heat more evenly. Plus, I've found that smaller irons are easier to manipulate.

To answer your 2nd question, I don't lose a lot of hair because for one, I use a ceramic blow dryer, which I've found is much easier on the hair than non-ceramic ones. Also, I comb heat protectant through my hair before I do any drying, which helps. Allowing the hair to air dry also helps. However, blow drying your hair without the comb until it's 80% dry, then finishing with a comb helps too.

For your last question, two products I use for a heat protectant is the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion. This is my staple. I comb some in my hair after it's towel dried, before I put any heat in it. Another good product that I've been using lately is one called You Straight.

Hope this helps!

when you bd, do you use an attachment or a round brush? your hair is gorgeous

caribeandiva

Human being
hey fellow sedu owner! :wave: i find that i get my hair a lot straighter and softer if i blowdry my hair section by section with a round brush before flatironing. i also flatiron in small 1-2 inch sections using heat protectant the whole time of course.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
BioGeekChic said:
Maybe someone can help me...
I haven't had a perm in almost 6 months so I have a lot of new growth. I just purchased a Sedu flat iron (1.5") and today I tried to flat iron my hair (on a clean head of hair off course). My hair turned out to be dry and kind of sticky (too much heat protectant?). And I wasn't even able to get to my roots straight or flat. I have very thick hair so am I expecting too much from my flat iron in hoping that I can get hair that looks and feels relaxed? Or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestion would be very helpful including your own personal techniques for flatironing your hair.

Thanks in advance...:)

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I have never flat ironed my hair before this first try so I am still learning how to flat iron properly.

Hello smart girl. :wave: You've made the right purchase.:yep:

I personally suggest using NO products on your hair whatsoever when flat ironing to get stellar results. When I flat iron my hair, I simply wash and deep condition under the dryer for at least 45 minutes. Rinse the conditioner out with cold water, then blow dry and go straight to flat ironing with NO ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS. After I finish flat ironing, I use just a few drops of serum and wrap my hair. Silky salon results every time! The key is in the conditioning and with the right conditioner for the right amount of time, you'll already have the best heat protection.

If you do decide to use a heat protectant, you must use it before you blowdry and use just a little bit for your entire head. No more than a dime-sized amount for your whole head. Whenever I do this I mix serum with a little (and I mean little) bit of raw shea butter. Again, no more than a dime sized amount for your whole head. I wouldn't advise the shea butter for you however, given your current situation.

camellia

Hey there!

I have a Sedu also. Taking very small sections of hair when ironing really helps me get a sleek straight look.

I'm a bad one to ask about heat protectant though. I know you're supposed to use only a little but I get paranoid I'm going to burn my hair off and I use a small handful of Heat Glide or Silk Infusion.:look:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Oh yeah -

This is assuming that you wash, condition, blowdry & flat iron your hair in at least 4 sections. Keeping your hair in sections whips it into place faster and can attribute to straighter hair.

Southernbella.

I'm 5 months post, and I have been flat ironing my newgrowth throughout my stretch. I noticed that I get the best results when I have deep conditioned well, do small sections at a time, and use plenty of heat protectant (I use CHI silk infusion).

Here's a pic:

Also, make sure you have detangled the newgrowth as best you can.

NuMe2004

MissScarlett said:
when you bd, do you use an attachment or a round brush? your hair is gorgeous

Thanks MissScarlett. To answer your q, I use a comb attachment when I blow dry. However, if I don't allow my hair to air dry 80% before blow drying, then I will get it 80% dry without a comb attachment then attach it later in order to limit the amount of direct heat on my hair.

bravenewgirl87

Water-based products have a tendency to revert the hair.... stay away.
Make sure you DEEP CONDITION before.
Don't put any oil on you hair... you'll fry it.
Do moisturize your hair... i like to use organic butters.
Do rollerset the hair before you straighten it. Makes it easier on snags and such.

lana

I have the same Sedu as you and I used it when I was completely natural and now I use it as a texlaxed head. When I was natural the important thing to do is to make sure (like the other ladies said) and detangle well. I found that the best shampoos and conditioners for me where those that helped with straightening (Redken Smooth Down, Paul Mitchell Silky Straight) if those are too pricey Loreal has a great line of Straightening products.

After the deep condition I would rinse with cool water and detangle after I spray on my leave in and put the Loreal Blow Straight Lotion on my hair. I blow dry with a comb attachment. Start at the top of your hair and then blow dry the bottom. This made a big difference (I used to start at the back).

When you are ready to flatiron (make sure the hair is completely dry, it even helps to blow dry go to sleep for the night and flat iron in the morning) start in the back by parting a tiny section, (if needed comb through w/ a medium sized comb) then flat iron paying special attention to the roots. I generally lightly press the plates together and angle down and then flat iron that section straight. Go through your entire head this way.

You'll love the results.

I still have to say that texlaxing was the best way to go. I saved my hair this way. I was using too much heat too often and I lost way too much hair on the blow dry process. Now I'm finally retaining length and it shows! But best wishes to what works for you!

spiceykitten

I think learning to flat ironing is a technique that is learned over time.

My best flat iron results was over a month ago. I deep conditioned first and then shampooed my hair and applied a bit of fantasia straightening serum (pink bottle). After I applied the fantasia straightening serum I blowdryed my hair and then ran the flat iron through my bottom hair. My flat iron section came out very soft and from one swipe it got straight. If I swiped again it may have been even better. I feel like I am the only one who deep conditions first and then shampoos:ohwell: I feel the problem before was that my hair hates to be weighed down. Oils and lotions do not give me the same desired effect. I end up looking like lion king if I do not do it this way.

I just need the strength to do my entire head properly. :p

ClassicBeauty

I NEVER use a blowdryer. I think that rollersetting my hair before flat ironing it keeps it healthy. I shampoo, condition, deep condition, roll with big rollers using leave-in as setting lotion, sit under the dryer, remove rollers, spray heat protectant, then flat iron. My hair has never liked blow dryers. This was what I did when I was relaxed, while I was transitioning, and now totally natural. My hair has basically looked the same the whole time.

When I remove the rollers, I comb it out with a wide tooth comb and separate it into sections before flat ironing. I turn the flat iron up pretty high, but I only go over each section once. I've found that turning it on medium heat forces me to go over the section like 3-4 times, which seems worse in the long run, so now I turn it higher. I use a pretty wide iron, but when if you have shorter hair, a thinner iron may work better for you.

It gets easier everytime you flat iron your hair. After a while, you'll have it done in no time.

BioGeekChic

Thank you all for your advice I really appreciate it and I will definitely incorporate many of the suggestions given into my regimen on Saturday. I just have two last questions: 1. for those who use the Sedu flat iron what temp are you using especially for those whose hair is thick and somewhat coarse. 2. before flatironing a section do you comb through the section with a fine toothed comb?

Again thank you all for your suggestions. If all goes well I will hopefully have pics to post!!!:)

caribeandiva

Human being
my hair's very coarse. i use the highest temp and sometimes the 2nd highest. i never use a small tooth comb on my hair.