Question for all the mixtresses

tiffjust2002

I just bought some raw shea butter for the first time ever I have no clue what to mix with it to make a good batch for my 3b hair and my daughter's 3c/4a hair.

But here's what I have can I make anything with this and if so how much of each?

Castor Oil
Raw Shea Butter
EVOO
Avocado Oil

that's all folks, every receipe I've seen has called for waaaayyyy more ingredients that what I have.

Help a sista out please!

dancinstallion

majority of the mix will be the shea butter then add 1/4 of avocado and EVOO. I only put castor oil on my scalp.

Shea butter goes a long way so even when I only mix a small amount of shea butter the batch comes out to be a lot.

tiffjust2002

thanks for responding would that be 1/4 a tablespoon? or what.... I'm slow I need it broken down in lamen terms. How much Shea Butter should I use I bought a 32oz jar of it.

dancinstallion

no about 1/4 cup. I really don't measure my mixes. I usually pour and go.

First I whip/stir my shea butter by itself until it is creamy. Then I start adding the oils. I usually use half of the empty container for the shea butter then add my oils until it is full. ex 16 oz container = 8 oz of shea butter, 4 oz of evoo, 4 oz of avocado oil.

maybe some other ladies will chime in to help you out.

tiffjust2002

that helps me out a lot! I am going to try this tonight!!! :) I can't wait so excited.

Another quick question sorry :(

Do you use it on wet hair, damp, or dry hair? Does it matter? Do you seal after using it or no?

I appreciate your help :)

dancinstallion

i use it on wet and dry hair. If my hair is dry then i usually spritz it a little with a water mix or braid spray then i apply the shea butter mix. The shea butter mix is the seal.
It can get a bit oily on the hair. I think I am heavy handy with the amount I apply to my hair. I stain pillows so I usually wrap my hair and put on a shower cap for an overnight dc and to not stain sheets.

LaidBak

I bought some raw shea a while back. I tried to melt it and mix it with Vatika Frosting (to mask the smell). But I didn't melt it right and it kept coming out grainy when it cooled. I was so disappointed. My hair loves shea.
Anyway, just be careful if you melt it.

Krystle~Hime

I just bought some raw shea butter for the first time ever I have no clue what to mix with it to make a good batch for my 3b hair and my daughter's 3c/4a hair.

But here's what I have can I make anything with this and if so how much of each?

Castor Oil
Raw Shea Butter
EVOO
Avocado Oil

that's all folks, every receipe I've seen has called for waaaayyyy more ingredients that what I have.

Help a sista out please!
shea butter is kinda heavy for some type of hair, so I would suggest mix it with a light oil and/or aloe vera for making a delicious light weighted whipped cream. and the lightest of your choice is avocado oil.

lilyofthenile

I find shea butter too thick and heavy for me. I like to whip it up with aloe vera gel and some light oils such as sweet almond or avocado oil even. I add some essential oils to get a nice scent as well..

bronzebomb

Castor Oil
Raw Shea Butter
EVOO
Avocado Oil

Help a sista out please!

the ingredients are good, I'd add coconut oil too. Check out Naptural85 YouTube Channel, she has a good recipe. She has a step-by-step recipe.

I can't hyperlink, because the website is blocked from work

Burbujas

I'd whipped the Shea by itself first and gradually add the oils until you reach the desired consistency. I would personally add castor oil and EVOO to my mix, since my hair loves these two oils, but if you've never used Shea before I'd start off with a lighter oil to make sure it isn't too heavy on your hair, so that would be either EVOO or avocado oil.

As for the Aloe vera gel, I know both iherb.com and vitacost.com sell it. I must say though, I haven't tried any of the gels they carry, since I don't use Aloe vera gel on my hair.

Here the link to Naptural85's video btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ok14CgADM

HTH.

tiffjust2002

okay that sounds great ladies I will check out naptural's vid too I am so cheap and these dang oils cost too much for little bitty jars : /