Question about Roller setting and Heat

Blackoutzangel05

I attempted to do a roller set this weekend and it didn't take. I have been reading everywhere about how women are doing them without getting under the dryer and I don't believe that is going to work for me. So I guess my question is 1) is indirect heat from a hooded dryer really that bad for my hair and 2) do I have to use setting lotion, I don't want my hair to become hard and dry like it does when using setting lotion.

Also do any women who use roller sets baggy their head at night and how do you keep it from becoming too moist in the morning?

Thanks!

dlewis

I'm texlaxed and I believe you are too? I have step by step instructions in my first Fotki ablum of the rollersetting and wrapping I do at night.

Blackoutzangel05

I am texlaxed....

Dlewis...you don't know how many times that I have stalked your fotki for your rollersetting technique...I am going to follow that because I know that using a dryer will 1)make my roots straighter and 2) make my hair nice.

dlewis

Blackoutzangel05 said:
I am texlaxed....

Dlewis...you don't know how many times that I have stalked your fotki for your rollersetting technique...I am going to follow that because I know that using a dryer will 1)make my roots straighter and 2) make my hair nice.

I don't know how the ladies do it without a dryer. To me, that's the only way to set the curl. My roots are never straight though but I'm OK with that.

Blackoutzangel05

dlewis said:
I don't know how the ladies do it without a dryer. To me, that's the only way to set the curl. My roots are never straight though but I'm OK with that.

That is what conclusion I have come to with this.My curls don't take when they air dry in rollers. Now I don't have to wait for it to be completely dry under the dryer but I know that I am going to have to sit under there for a minute while I am waiting. Now I am just wondering how I would baggy...

dlewis

I think if you baggy while your hair is rollerset that would make it frizzy from the moisture. So what would be the point of the rollerset?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't think the indirect heat from a hair dryer is bad at all. I haven't noticed any problems with it but I wouldn't overdo it either.....like using it several times a week ya know. I think my hair would frizz if I tried to air-dry my set, not to mention it would take 100 hours to dry, lol. You don't have to use setting lotion but for me it helps a lot. Try diluting it if it's making your hair too stiff.

Blackoutzangel05

dlewis said:
I think if you baggy while your hair is rollerset that would make it frizzy from the moisture. So what would be the point of the rollerset?

Yeah that is what I was thinking... Might have to give up the baggy method...

Blackoutzangel05

Pokahontas said:
I don't think the indirect heat from a hair dryer is bad at all. I haven't noticed any problems with it but I wouldn't overdo it either.....like using it several times a week ya know. I think my hair would frizz if I tried to air-dry my set, not to mention it would take 100 hours to dry, lol. You don't have to use setting lotion but for me it helps a lot. Try diluting it if it's making your hair too stiff.

I am going to dilute my setting lotion tonight when I attempt to roller set my hair again. I am not sure if I can do the wrapping but I am sure going to try.

dlewis

Blackoutzangel05 said:
Yeah that is what I was thinking... Might have to give up the baggy method...

Maybe you can do the baggy method at times other than when you rollerset?

dlewis

Pokahontas said:

ITA................

LovelyMiracle

Try using the lottabody that you have to add water to. I've noticed that when you use the ready made in the purple and white bottle it never holds my set. Also when drying, I just sit under the dryer for about 30-45 minutes then airdry over night. That's why I did for the set in my siggy pictures and it came out great.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
LovelyMiracle said:
Try using the lottabody that you have to add water to. I've noticed that when you use the ready made in the purple and white bottle it never holds my set. Also when drying, I just sit under the dryer for about 30-45 minutes then airdry over night. That's why I did for the set in my siggy pictures and it came out great.
ITA....the Lottabody that you have to dilute makes a world of difference. That other kind didn't do much for me. The hardest part of using Lottabody is figuring out how much water to add. If you don't have enough your set will be crunchy. I like mine to have a light hold so I add quite a bit of water.

mzhotniz86

oooh , if you need a good recommendation , try (if you can find it) the dudleys foam wrap lotion. It wont make your hair all hard and your hair will have nice shine and body. And using a hood dryer isnt bad, especially for your type of hair. once a week should be fine to use

blackbarbie

I have never been able to get a good rollerset without sitting under the dryer either. If I am at the salon, I am forced to sit under the dryer for the entire almost 2.5 hours, however, if I am at home, I will probably sit underneath the dryer for the first hour and then let it airdry the remainder of the time. But I feel I have to start off under the dryer for the curls to set. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think indirect heat from the dryer can be that damaging to your hair; at least in my case it hasn't been.

As far as the setting lotion, you can definitely add water to dilute it and you can also try using some type of creamy moisturizer (NTM Silk Touch) to make sure the set is not crinkly.......

I hope that helps!!

Blackoutzangel05

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Pictures will be up tonight because I am going to give this another go. I might just sit under the dryer for 45 minutes to an hour and then from there let the rest air dry over night.

tarheelgurl

I just had a bad rollerset last week myself! My hair was frizzy and big and a hot mess! LOL (but it wasn't funny to me then!) With the help of some of the ladies here I determined that I didn't let it dry long enough and that I probably needed to clarify.
Also, I had used the ready made lotta body. My rollersets usually come out nicely but this time.......whew, what a mess.
N E Way, I agree with the others. I don't think sitting under the dryer is bad for your hair as long as you don't over do it. I have never tried air drying a rollerset but when I air dry period it usually comes out very big.

Zahrah

I rollerset 2x's a wk. under the dryer. I haven't noticed any problems. I do not use setting lotions. I use a mixture of diluted water, a few drops of almond oil and a drop of leave-in cond. I tried to rollerset over nite w/o heat and in the morning while getting ready for work, it was still wet:eek:. I also noticed that the set is completely different when using the magnetic rollers vs wire mesh. The wire mesh gets the roots straighter where I dont have to use heat anymore :). Magnetic r/s takes 1hr 20 min & wire Mesh r/s 45 min.