Question about prepping for braids...

Odd One

Im thinkin about doing yarn braids in few weeks to help with my streching. I have about 2 inches of newgrowth (thick/coarse 4b) and would like to know :

Before putting the braids should I blowdry the hair and even flat iron before installing to make it easier ? Will it weaken the hair ?

Should I use moisturizers or gel(???) right before braiding the hair ?

I do plan on doing light protein and moisture DC right before the install

TIA!

Fine 4s

Check out growafrohairlong's website.
I believe they discuss prepping the purchased hair...something about removing the alkaline base? Check it out....

Shananyganz

Before I braid my hair. I do a GOOD washing, condition, and DC. After applying a light leave-in, I let it air dry, then I section off into about five parts; three in the front and two in the back. As I braid, I lightly oil my scalp with whatever oil I have handy (olive, almond, etc) and moisturize the length of my hair with whatever butter or cream leave-in I have handy (QP Mango butter, cantu, etc). I don't use gel early on on my edges, I use the QP Elasta Glaze (I believe..I do know for sure that it is blue) to smooth edges; just a small amount.

I personally don't blow dry (personal choice). I think it wouldn't necessarily "weaken" the hair, unless you handled roughly and used a high heat. If its easier to braid while straight, try air drying until damp-almost dry and blow dry on a cool setting the rest of the way (make sure hair is fully detangled). I would do the preceding in sections.

I use a moisturizer throughout the braid process. I generally braid with synthetic hair and that kind of hair usually "steals moisture" from natural hair. I JUST started treating my extension hair prior to application, but I think applying my mango butter to the length of my hair is a good precautionary method and also helps to limit flyaway's, frizziness, and whatnot.

The answers might differ if you don't braid the hair yourself. So maybe that would be a good thing to address, do you braid the hair yourself?

-S-

Nonie

Im thinkin about doing yarn braids in few weeks to help with my streching. I have about 2 inches of newgrowth (thick/coarse 4b) and would like to know :

Before putting the braids should I blowdry the hair and even flat iron before installing to make it easier ?
Will it weaken the hair ?

Should I use moisturizers or gel(???) right before braiding the hair ?

I do plan on doing light protein and moisture DC right before the install

TIA!

For the question in bold, I say do not blow dry the hair. Just stretch it in plaits so it's easy to part. If you blow dry or straighten, what's going to happen when you wash your hair is your hair will shrink and cause an accordion effect on your braids so that the section containing your hair will be puffy and messy. Keeping as close to its natural state as possible allows your braids to stay neater after a wash.

For the other questions, I am with the PP who said to check out Robin's site: www.growafrohairlong.com I suggest that because those of us who have had a long experience with braids do things that aren't necessarily the "safest way to go" (like I don't use any products) but experience has helped us find ways to bend the rules w/o hurting our hair. So you're better off starting on the right footing by checking out the braid regimen on that site.

bedazzled

Well here is my routine before I add extensions. I always do some HEAVY Conditioning. HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. I do my henna treatment to cleanse, condition & strengthen the hair, then I sit under the dryer to dc for about an hr. I usually only do 30 mins. For those who don't use henna i always suggest an overnight DC. I then add a leave in & a light oil. Thats my pre-extension ritual.

I blow dry before I put my twists (extensions) in because when I air dry my hair tangles. My hair did look jacked up after its first wash (agreeing with nonies post) so when I did my next set (some odd months later)...I didn't wash my twists. No seriously, I didn't. I just switched up my twist routine and made sure my only moisturizer was aloe vera (which moisturizes & cleanses the hair) & water mix..sometimes i would only spray water & every 2 weeks or so I would spray my infusium water/mix and every once in awhile i would make an oil/aloevera/water mix but very little oil. Because my moisturizer consisted of aloe vera/water or just water I moisturized twice a day. I would also sometimes mix conditioner & water and spray my hair but overall..I had NO BUILD UP, NO DANDRUFF, NO FLAKY NOTHIN..and really no reason to wash my hair..My hair didn't smell at all. It smelled like rose water. So theres an option I guess if you bail out on washing your braids. I retained all of my length thus far from the braids and doing it this way.

shenitab

Good advice above. If your hair is naturally curly or frizzy, it is important to detangle VERY WELL before braiding. This can make a difference with how long they stay looking nice and neat.

Dommo

I always blow-dry my hair before putting in any braids. Especially if you have so much new growth, air-drying can cause alot of tangling at the demarcation line which will result in breakage while you're getting ur hair braided (its different if you're all natural or freshly relaxed). Oh, and yes, moisturize the hair while it's getting braided.

shunemite

Well here is my routine before I add extensions. I always do some HEAVY Conditioning. HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. I do my henna treatment to cleanse, condition & strengthen the hair, then I sit under the dryer to dc for about an hr. I usually only do 30 mins. For those who don't use henna i always suggest an overnight DC. I then add a leave in & a light oil. Thats my pre-extension ritual.

I blow dry before I put my twists (extensions) in because when I air dry my hair tangles. My hair did look jacked up after its first wash (agreeing with nonies post) so when I did my next set (some odd months later)...I didn't wash my twists. No seriously, I didn't. I just switched up my twist routine and made sure my only moisturizer was aloe vera (which moisturizes & cleanses the hair) & water mix..sometimes i would only spray water & every 2 weeks or so I would spray my infusium water/mix and every once in awhile i would make an oil/aloevera/water mix but very little oil. Because my moisturizer consisted of aloe vera/water or just water I moisturized twice a day. I would also sometimes mix conditioner & water and spray my hair but overall..I had NO BUILD UP, NO DANDRUFF, NO FLAKY NOTHIN..and really no reason to wash my hair..My hair didn't smell at all. It smelled like rose water. So theres an option I guess if you bail out on washing your braids. I retained all of my length thus far from the braids and doing it this way.
How long did you keep braids in, and what size were they?

Odd One

thanks ladies for the advices!

I just washed, dced, detangled then I did 6 braids.. will not blow dry since i plan on washing/cowashing the braids

will check out the suggested website too!