Preparing for braids

BRIESMOM

I plan on getting braids this weekend and I have read alot of post saying that you should condition your hair before braiding. My question is should I do a moisturizing cond. protein or a combo? Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
P.S. Are there any other things that I should know about getting braids? All advice is appreciated. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

L

legs71

Between braidings to prepare my hair I do a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner.

LondonDiva

Briesmom, don't forget to wash the extension hair before you use it to get rid of the film on the hair. Swich it around a bit in warm water and Apple Cider Vinegar or just regular vinegar, rinse again and leave to dry.

BRIESMOM

Thanks for the info ladies. LondonDiva, is that for human and synthetic? Is one better than the other to use? Sorry so many ?'s but I am so SCARED that something is going to go wrong /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

carrie

I am getting braids next Monday. I will use an olive oil pretreatment, wash and deep condition (moisturizing). I just did a protein one a few weeks ago.

I just have to decide what kind of hair I want. I am loving the new Toyokalon wet n wavy...

BRIESMOM

Thanks Carrie, Do you know of any sites with any styles or info on that hair? :smirk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kitkat

Ditto on Legz advice to do a protein and moisturizing conditioner. There have been a few recent threads about braid care here and there are different schools of thought about moisturizing the braids and your scalp. Do a search and you should come across them. I will say that, no matter what, be very careful when taking them out. This is especially important if they're smaller. Whenever I have braids, I devote an entire weekend to removing them. Rushing through this process will definitely cause breakage. I hope this helps.

BRIESMOM

Thanks KitKAT, yes the info helped alot. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I will say that, no matter what, be very careful when taking them out.

[/ QUOTE ] I think that may have been my problem in the past

carrie

I haven't seen any sites online. I just saw the hair at a beauty supply store. I bought a bag and really like the texture. I like the Toyokalon braids I had last time.

LondonDiva

That advice is for synethic, from my experience. I guess all hair whether human or otherwise has some coating on it, but I personally think that a good quality synthetic hair like toyokalon is better and lasts longer and cheaper than human hair.