Question about dying grays.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
What do you ladies consider is the best product for coloring gray hairs? My DM (dear mom) was wanting something for the gray hair around her perimeter. I heard that Jazzing was pretty good but I wanted to ask the "experts" before I recommended anything for my mom. I want something that does not contain any harsh ingredients.
Thanks in advance guys. :wink2:

LadyPaniolo

Hiya! I think henna or perhaps indigo would be best for coloring grey naturally. My family has a weird genetic thing where our hair starts going white at each temple very early. It started for me at like 19, with just a few hairs but since my hair is so thick you couldn't notice.

Now that I'm older I have made the decision that I will NEVER be a white-haired lady, never! I use henna to give my hair more strength and to turn my greys a coppery red. They look like natural highlights :imo: If you don't want to go red, indigo may be a better choice.

♥Lamaravilla♥

My grandmother uses Jazzing, but after a few washes her hair gets a greenish tint, not sure why because otherwise her hair is very healthy. So I wouldn't recommend that product based on that experience....

Last edited:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Hiya! I think henna or perhaps indigo would be best for coloring grey naturally. My family has a weird genetic thing where our hair starts going white at each temple very early. It started for me at like 19, with just a few hairs but since my hair is so thick you couldn't notice.

Now that I'm older I have made the decision that I will NEVER be a white-haired lady, never! I use henna to give my hair more strength and to turn my greys a coppery red. They look like natural highlights :imo: If you don't want to go red, indigo may be a better choice.

Thanks. I really need to find an Indian store near me. A natural highlight would be great.:yawn:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
My grandmother uses Jazzing, but after a few washes her hair gets a greenish tint, not sure why because otherwise her hair is very healthy. So I wouldn't recommend that product based on that experience....
Wow really? That's a shame. So I guess Jazzing is a :nono: then. That's too bad. Thanks for the heads up.

chrstndiva

I started going gray at age 12. I have used every semi-permanent color under the sun and hands down for me, the best is Clairol Beautiful Collection Advanced Gray Solution. It lasts a lot longer than all the rest and gives really great coverage. It can be purchased at Sally's.

I use it on relaxer day. I leave it in for 45 minutes with no heat.

HTH.

Dak

I'm a big fan of Robert Craig. robertcraig.com

It's really easy to mix, you just mix with warm water & shake. No horrible smells. It's permanent. They're fast with shipping. If you want color advice, Karin is great. I use the chocolate brown, it covers my gray with a lighter brown than my natural color, so it has lighter brown streaks in it.

janeemat

I just used PM shines to blend my gray. It is a demi color and I really like it. It does not wash out like the rinses. This one is by Paul Mitchell, but I'm sure there are others you can use.

thickness

I love Loreal Color Gems demi-permanent. It covers gray beautifully and you do not get those dreaded "color drips" that most rinses give off when you wash your hair. But be careful when choosing your color because it tends to run dark. I don't mind because I like darker hair, but some people may not want their hair to be too dark.

JJamiah

Don't use Jazzing blue black or it will tint green get the Jazzing EBONY color, I was informed of it and it colors my 13 grey stands beautifully! :) :spinning:

Dak

This is for your mom, right? I think that as we get older it gets harder to pull off those dark dark colors and have it not look like you dye your hair. :look:

Dark browns are good, though!

LoveCraze

Naturalista
This is for your mom, right? I think that as we get older it gets harder to pull off those dark dark colors and have it not look like you dye your hair. :look:

Dark browns are good, though!

Yes it's for my mom. She doesn't want to go dark. She never has had dark hair. So I was thinking of doing a brown color. Thanks for the help.:yep:

PinkAngel

I just used PM shines to blend my gray. It is a demi color and I really like it. It does not wash out like the rinses. This one is by Paul Mitchell, but I'm sure there are others you can use.

Where can this be found and what color do you use? TIA

gn1g

a black or brown sharpie!![/COLOR]

I have the same problem, and ^^ the hispanics suggested this :spinning::drunk::yep::nono::lachen::ohwell::look:

I am so tired of trying every product on the market Y not try a marker.:perplexed

LoveCraze

Naturalista
a black or brown sharpie!![/COLOR]

I have the same problem, and ^^ the hispanics suggested this :spinning::drunk::yep::nono::lachen::ohwell::look:

I am so tired of trying every product on the market Y not try a marker.:perplexed

I'm not sure about the chemicals found in sharpies and if I want that in my hair.:nono: But I have also heard of using mascara for a few strands of gray.

I was able to find some henna!!:clap: Now I just need to figure out what to add to it.:perplexed I have a few ideas.

Aggie

From my experience with color for my grays, so far henna and indigo are the best. They are free of harsh ingredients and are all natural.

They can be a little messy, but hey, even adding jazzing to my hair is messy to me so, I'm fine with it.

I did see some permanent product on vitacost.com called Herbatint Permanent Herbal Hair Color and it's available in a number of shades.

I have not tried it so I cannot vouch for it's efficacy however, there are mnay reviews by users on the site. Check it out. You never know, it might work for your mom.

Aggie

From my experience with color for my grays, so far henna and indigo are the best. They are free of harsh ingredients and are all natural.

They can be a little messy, but hey, even adding jazzing to my hair is messy to me so, I'm fine with it.

I did see some permanent product on vitacost.com called Herbatint Permanent Herbal Hair Color and it's available in a number of shades.

I have not tried it so I cannot vouch for it's efficacy however, there are mnay reviews by users on the site. Check it out. You never know, it might work for your mom.

I just had to add that another natural hair brand called Naturtint Hiar Color is also found on vitacost.com and it got some raving reviews as well. It cost a little more than the Herbatint however.

I would recommend doing a patch test first if you try any of these to watch for any skin interactions.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I just had to add that another natural hair brand called Naturtint Hiar Color is also found on vitacost.com and it got some raving reviews as well. It cost a little more than the Herbatint however.

I would recommend doing a patch test first if you try any of these to watch for any skin interactions.

Thanks so much Aggie!:grin:

gn1g

I don't like black hair but I would like to cover my grays with something natural like maybe henna and coffee or something other than indigo, to get a pretty brownish color. Anyone?

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I don't like black hair but I would like to cover my grays with something natural like maybe henna and coffee or something other than indigo, to get a pretty brownish color. Anyone?

I ended up doing a henna treatment that colored my grays wonderfully. I suggest if you don't want the reddish color, you can add amla powder to your henna. Good luck!

prisytomboy

I totally agree!! I am allergic to hair dye and like your mom I gray on my front perimeter. Henna/Indigo leaves my hair a PRETTY NATURAL BLACK (it's so natural it doesn't look like you've dyed it) and the coverage and unbelievable! I hate when the black is SO black and everybody know you've dyed you hair....:lachen: especially on older men!!! :lachen::lachen:

Also here's a tip for your mom....most of the time I just do my edges....less time, less mess :grin:

I will do a before and after once my gray grows back out!