New To Lhcf

Daina

Good Morning Ladies,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I found LHCF by accident as I was doing a search on the web and I am so glad I found this site. I've been reading posts the last few months and just recently subscribed. I wanted to come out of hiding and start being more active with posting and join some of the challenges as well. Below is a brief summary of my hair journey and a quick question at the end. I look forward to continuing on my journey with you wonderful ladies!

Current Length: APL
Desired Length: BSL or MBL
Relaxed/Natural: Been natural for 8 years since 2007
Routine: Co-wash weekly - I'm a WEN girl been using WEN for 7 years; Clarify on occasion (3 - 4 times per year) due to scalp dermatitis; DC weekly, M&S every other day or as needed
Styles: Wash n Go's, twist/braid outs, flat iron 1x per month - need new styling ideas only recently stopped using heat weekly
Trim: As needed but typically only 3-4 times per year
Supplements: Currently in my first 30 days of trying Hair La Vie

Now to my question, I have some gray hairs growing in that are in the front that I'd like to do something about. I am not a fan of Henna - the changes it did to my hair texture almost sent me over the edge and it took a minute to realize the Henna was the culprit. Any other coloring options? I'm not opposed to coloring just want to use something less harsh and more natural, hence the Henna (I was also pregnant at the time and didn't want to use chemical color).

Thanks Ladies!
-Daina

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Welcome, Daina!

First, it's great to see you aren't having issues w/Wen products, as I heard about the recent lawsuit. Anyway, I've read that people take black strap molasses to help w/gray hair (among other things). I think the copper in it restores hair color. I'm not big on chemicals so that's all I got :)

What's your hair texture like?

Daina

Welcome, Daina!

First, it's great to see you aren't having issues w/Wen products, as I heard about the recent lawsuit. Anyway, I've read that people take black strap molasses to help w/gray hair (among other things). I think the copper in it restores hair color. I'm not big on chemicals so that's all I got :)

What's your hair texture like?
Thanks @nothidden! I'm still trying to figure out my hair type as I have more of a wave and less of a curl pattern. When I do twist outs or braid outs my hair waves or very loose ringlets. My sister thinks I'm 3b or 3c but I'm not sure I understand typing well enough to know for sure? I'll try to post a picture on wash day and maybe someone here can help. I do know that I am low porosity.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Welcome!!!

Darken greys...

Black tea rinses
Blackstrap molasses
Sage & Rosemary essential oils
Brahmi oil
Amla oil

I use a Brahmi/Amla combo oil. My greys are now more golden in color, which looks kind of nice.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Thanks @InBloom, I will look into your suggestions! Do you rub the oils just on the grays or use on your entire head?

You're welcome!

The Brahmi/Amla is something I use for pre-pooing. I've also mixed the oil into my cleansing conditioner for cowashing. If I have nowhere to go, I put it in my hair with a plastic cap and let it sit for a few hours. Its a strong odor, so I don't like it in my hair when I'm out and about. So, I put it all over my hair and scalp when I'm using.

The Rosemary and Sage oils are great to mix into deep conditioners when you have time to let them sit.

Blackstrap molasses (if you care to try) will give benefits but it takes months of consistent consuming. Like mixed into tea/coffee.

xu93texas

Welcome!

I absolutely love Shea Moisture color system. I recolor every 6-8 weeks. I've used jet black and soft black and it covers gray hair very well. It doesn't leave my hair dry at all.