Question about cones and stuff

felicia

I've tried to eliminate cones from my hair care routine, but I notice my hair is so much more difficult to detangle without them. I'm a type 4 natural. I've been using Joico Moisture and Kpak lines, as well as Qhemet Biologics as my leave-in. My question is am I wasting my Qhemets? If cones prevent moisture from penetrating the strands due to the coating, does that mean the Joico makes my Qhemet leave-ins useless?

P

Paradox

I've tried to eliminate cones from my hair care routine, but I notice my hair is so much more difficult to detangle without them. I'm a type 4 natural. I've been using Joico Moisture and Kpak lines, as well as Qhemet Biologics as my leave-in. My question is am I wasting my Qhemets? If cones prevent moisture from penetrating the strands due to the coating, does that mean the Joico makes my Qhemet leave-ins useless?

You need to clarify your hair with a shampoo with sulfates..i read that only harsh detergents can get out silicones.

Neith

You need to clarify your hair with a shampoo with sulfates..i read that only harsh detergents can get out silicones.

That's not entirely true. A lot of cones wash away rather easily.

Just like some oils are lighter than others, some cones are lighter than others.

They only are really a problem when you have a very bad buildup with the "heavier" cones. That's when you really need to clarify.

I'd like to point out that maybe you should use cones if they work with your hair. I limit cones, but I haven't eliminated them from my regimen. Having 1 or 2 products with cones in your regimen isn't going to hurt you... they get washed away mostly with gentle shampoos. Go by what your hair seems to like, not what the board or anyone else says is bad!

P

Paradox

That's not entirely true. A lot of cones wash away rather easily.

Just like some oils are lighter than others, some cones are lighter than others.

They only are really a problem when you have a very bad buildup with the "heavier" cones. That's when you really need to clarify.

I'd like to point out that maybe you should use cones if they work with your hair. I limit cones, but I haven't eliminated them from my regimen. Having 1 or 2 products with cones in your regimen isn't going to hurt you... they get washed away mostly with gentle shampoos. Go by what your hair seems to like, not what the board or anyone else says is bad!
I read in a scientific study that detergents are the only thing that gets them out. Silicones are not water soluable and are pretty durable that is why they are used as heat protectants and why Sabino is so good at blocking out moisture.

Last edited by a moderator:

felicia

No, I'm asking will I still reap the benefits of the Qhemet products if my shampoo and conditioner have cones? or will the cones prevent the Qhemet products from working their magic?

Neith

I read in a scientific study that detergents are the only thing that gets them out. Silicones are not water soluable and are pretty durable that is why they are used as heat protectants and why Sabino is so good at blocking out moisture.

We'll agree to disagree then. There are many threads on this very board about water soluble and water unsoluble cones. All silicones don't have the same properties.

No, I'm asking will I still reap the benefits of the Qhemet products if my shampoo and conditioner have cones? or will the cones prevent the Qhemet products from working their magic?

No, they won't. As long as you aren't heavily using them and they haven't built up on you.

Dposh167

Just b.c. Cones can coat the strands it doesnt mean that moisture can never get thru. U maybe referring to those who are heavy cone users..meaning they consistently use cones on a day to day basis, or they tend to use very heavy stubborn cones. either way..any heavy buildup of cones can prevent a good amount of moisture from getting in. Now im not familiar with the cones in joico products. But if ur hair is saying that it needs some kind of cone..then go for products with lighter cones or closer towards the middle to end of the ingredient list

P

Paradox

Just to prevent buildup, clarifying every 3-4 weeks would probably be useful. Clarifying also helps other products to penetrate the hair and/or be fully effective .

Dposh167

i agree. Im very strict with my cone usage as well. I tend to look for products with only one cone..and it cant be in the first couple of ingedients. NO cones allowed in my daily moisturizer or leave ins...or styling creams...just in my conditioners. that way i get the benefit of cones without a possible overload which can result in faster buildup and moisture intake probs.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
My hair NEEDS cones, so I have to incorporate them into my reggie. I just make sure to chelate and clarify once a month. Never had a problem with products penetrating or anything :)

CenteredGirl

Here's my take on cones cause I avoided them for a long while, now I use them regularly.

If your hair is moisturized not only when wet but to the feel when it's dry, moisture is TRAPPED in your hair for the long run. Use of cones is moot to moisture penetration because your hair already has enough. As a natural 4 ab I spent over a year doing weekly DC's with non-cone products under a hot hood dryer for 1 hour. That paid off cause I started to use cones recently and I'm in HEAVEN. 1 hour detangle sessions have been reduced to 5 to 10 minutes and I'm a 4ab natural!!!!

Now people talk about washing cones off - well I use baking soda washes weekly and have no problem with buildup.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: