Can we have some straight talk about Daily Moisturizers...

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

I am currently trying to figure out the daily moisturizer thing...I've read so many conflicting things about moisturizers both on this board and others.

I need to come up with a proper daily moisture regime.

In general for a daily moisturizer I use Wild Growth Hair Oil, however I recently read on another forum that oils are not moisturizers they just help to seal other moisturizers in :confused: ...so I'm confused about that.

I've also learned that you can use water based leave-ins like NTM Silk Leave in as a daily moisturizer on dry hair. My question on that is since it's water based how do you maintain a style or keep your hair from feeling wet in between washes? Also do those of you who use water based leave ins as daily moisturizers do you use something else to moisturize with this?

I've also learned that serums that contain certain "cones" will actually dry the hair out as opposed to moisturize it. I never knew this. So which serums can we use that won't dry the hair out?

Butters...what are they made of?? Are the water based or oil based? Which ones are better? Do they weigh the hair down? Where can you get them?

Mineral Oil and Petrolatum...I've heard that moisturizers containing these ingredients are really bad for your hair because they just clog pores and hair follicles...but most moisturizers on the market contain these.

How do you know which moisturizer works better for you? For instance I always thought oils were better for my hair, but now i'm not sure since it will feel moisturized because the oil is coating it...but is it really moisturized on the inside?

I hope that the ideas that come out of this thread are useful to someone, because I'm really confused about daily moisturizers.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think it all depends on what everyone's individual hair likes...

some people may feel like their hair is moisturized from oils, some do not...

some people feel like their hair is moisturized from water, some do not...

some people feel like their hair is moisturized with leave-ins, some do not...

some with conditioners, some not... some with butters, some not... and so on.

That's what's unique about hair... all of our hair is different and responds differently to different products. So you're going to always hear the contadictions. You just have to do what works best for YOUR hair. ;)

HoneyDew

Good topic.

I hear the same stuff, but creamy moisturizers jon't seem to work for me anymore.

I only rely on conditioning for moisture which i do twice a week.

I do use silicone to flatiiron and then a little hemp seed or shea oil daily.

But, that's it.

i don't suffer from dry hair at all.

RabiaElaine

HoneyDew said:
Good topic.

I hear the same stuff, but creamy moisturizers jon't seem to work for me anymore.

I only rely on conditioning for moisture which i do twice a week.

I do use silicone to flatiiron and then a little hemp seed or shea oil daily.

But, that's it.

i don't suffer from dry hair at all.

When you use silicone to flatiron doesn't your hair come out greasy?? I know when I flat iron I can't add any product except a watery leave in to my hair until after it has been flat ironed otherwise it'll just come out like a greasy mess and have no movement or body.

Sistaslick

There are alot of conflicting ideas because everyone is so different.:) You have to go by your own head of hair when you investigate truths and untruths. You should also gauge your advice based on what you have seen work well across the board. When I first joined the hairboards almost 2 years ago, I did alot of album watching before I finally came up with my own hair philosophy. I wanted to see the practices that consistenly work well over extended periods of time, on many people, and made sense in a practical, scientific way. So after all that, here is my personal stance on this isssue.:lol:

In general for a daily moisturizer I use Wild Growth Hair Oil, however I recently read on another forum that oils are not moisturizers they just help to seal other moisturizers in :confused: ...so I'm confused about that.

Your hair is permeable to many things, but oil is not one of them. Oils act as sealants and nourish the hair strand making it softer and shinier, but they do not go deep down in the strand and offer any moisture benefits. Oils cannot hydrate. In fact, they work against hydration. We have to use them to our advantage by using them in the capacity they are naturally designed for-- sealing and holding in actual moisture.

I've also learned that you can use water based leave-ins like NTM Silk Leave in as a daily moisturizer on dry hair. My question on that is since it's water based how do you maintain a style or keep your hair from feeling wet in between washes? Also do those of you who use water based leave ins as daily moisturizers do you use something else to moisturize with this?

Many creme based leave-ins are great as water based moisturizers. They are great for ladies with fine hair who cannot use heavier water based moisturizers. For ladies with coarser types, they may find that light waterbased moisturizers like NTM aren't enough to really get the hair moisturized. So for me, after a wash I'll use NTM in the capacity of a leave in and then follow it up with another heavier waterbased moisturizer. If you use light amounts, your hair should not feel wet or damp after moisturizing. I usually wear my hair bunned so it wouldn't bother me either way. Maybe someone who wears their hair down more can offer assistance with maintaining a style that is down.

I've also learned that serums that contain certain "cones" will actually dry the hair out as opposed to moisturize it. I never knew this. So which serums can we use that won't dry the hair out?

This is when you allow "cones" to build up on the hair. When cones build up, they tend to act in the same manner that oils do. They seal and coat the hair strand not allowing moisture to get through to the strand. This can cause extreme dryness and cause attempts at moisturizing and deep conditioning to be futile. Cones are okay, as long as they are efficiently removed from the hair strand. They are finishing products, and in my opinion, should be used after a moisturizer- not as one. You may need to clarify more using them.

Butters...what are they made of?? Are the water based or oil based? Which ones are better? Do they weigh the hair down? Where can you get them?

I am not really a butter person, so I can't help too much on this one. :lol: From my limited experience with them most seem to be moisturizing. Their consistency usually makes them on the heavier end of the moisturizing product spectrum. I know fromnaturewithlove.com has them. The only one I've used is Elasta QP's mango butter.

Mineral Oil and Petrolatum...I've heard that moisturizers containing these ingredients are really bad for your hair because they just clog pores and hair follicles...but most moisturizers on the market contain these.

I don't consider these products to be moisturizers at all. If anything, they are sealants. Mineral oil and petrolatum are synthetic oil fillers. Most products on the market contain these ingredients because they are cheap and readily available. To me, they are just fragrant vaseline.:lol: After eliminating them from my regimen, my hair greatly improved so I can only speak from my personal experience. The best moisturizing products do not contain these cheap synthetic oil fillers.

How do you know which moisturizer works better for you? For instance I always thought oils were better for my hair, but now i'm not sure since it will feel moisturized because the oil is coating it...but is it really moisturized on the inside?

You have to think about your hair on a microscopic level. You know your hair needs moisture deep inside, but you know that oils are made of molecules too large to penetrate the shaft. You also know from highschool biology that oils are made of hydrophobic molecules-- which means they repel water and don't mix with it. Placing oil on the strand puts a mini moisture barrier up. If your hair isn't properly moisturized before the barrier goes on, you can expect dryness to creep in over time. Oils do soften the hair and make it more pliable, so it may seem that oils are getting your moisturized. But moisturization= hydration and chemically speaking oils can't provide that on their own.

But most importantly, you must experiment! Thats the fun part.:D

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
RabiaElaine said:
Hi Ladies,

I am currently trying to figure out the daily moisturizer thing...I've read so many conflicting things about moisturizers both on this board and others.

I need to come up with a proper daily moisture regime.

I hope that the ideas that come out of this thread are useful to someone, because I'm really confused about daily moisturizers.

Oils do not provide moisture. You will need to apply your oil over your creamy moisturizer or leave-in conditioner to lock the moisture in.

Butters are oil based and would serve as a good moisturizer if you can't use water based moisturizers. I can't use a really watery moisturizer because my hair is natural and when I wear it straight it would curl it right on up. For example the NTM leave in would be way too watery for me. Whatever moisturizer I use I have to apply sparingly because too much would cause my hair to revert. I use a moisturizer from Qhemet Biologics. Cantu is good also. I seal it in with WGO.

Mineral oil and Petroleum are found in most moisturizers and oils but there are some that don't have it. I buy natural products online because they don't have these ingredients. The only one I can think of that you can buy in the store that dosen't have them is Cantu. Some people can use mineral oil and petroleum based products just fine though, you just have to find out what works for you. I found that when I stopped using them my hair really improved.

Synthia

Sistaslick said:
There are alot of conflicting ideas because everyone is so different.:) You have to go by your own head of hair when you investigate truths and untruths. You should also gauge your advice based on what you have seen work well across the board. When I first joined the hairboards almost 2 years ago, I did alot of album watching before I finally came up with my own hair philosophy. I wanted to see the practices that consistenly work well over extended periods of time, on many people, and made sense in a practical, scientific way. So after all that, here is my personal stance on this isssue.:lol:

Your hair is permeable to many things, but oil is not one of them. Oils act as sealants and nourish the hair strand making it softer and shinier, but they do not go deep down in the strand and offer any moisture benefits. Oils cannot hydrate. In fact, they work against hydration. We have to use them to our advantage by using them in the capacity they are naturally designed for-- sealing and holding in actual moisture.

Many creme based leave-ins are great as water based moisturizers. They are great for ladies with fine hair who cannot use heavier water based moisturizers. For ladies with coarser types, they may find that light waterbased moisturizers like NTM aren't enough to really get the hair moisturized. So for me, after a wash I'll use NTM in the capacity of a leave in and then follow it up with another heavier waterbased moisturizer. If you use light amounts, your hair should not feel wet or damp after moisturizing. I usually wear my hair bunned so it wouldn't bother me either way. Maybe someone who wears their hair down more can offer assistance with maintaining a style that is down.

This is when you allow "cones" to build up on the hair. When cones build up, they tend to act in the same manner that oils do. They seal and coat the hair strand not allowing moisture to get through to the strand. This can cause extreme dryness and cause attempts at moisturizing and deep conditioning to be futile. Cones are okay, as long as they are efficiently removed from the hair strand. They are finishing products, and in my opinion, should be used after a moisturizer- not as one. You may need to clarify more using them.

I am not really a butter person, so I can't help too much on this one. :lol: From my limited experience with them most seem to be moisturizing. Their consistency usually makes them on the heavier end of the moisturizing product spectrum. I know fromnaturewithlove.com has them. The only one I've used is Elasta QP's mango butter.

I don't consider these products to be moisturizers at all. If anything, they are sealants. Mineral oil and petrolatum are synthetic oil fillers. Most products on the market contain these ingredients because they are cheap and readily available. To me, they are just fragrant vaseline.:lol: After eliminating them from my regimen, my hair greatly improved so I can only speak from my personal experience. The best moisturizing products do not contain these cheap synthetic oil fillers.

You have to think about your hair on a microscopic level. You know your hair needs moisture deep inside, but you know that oils are made of molecules too large to penetrate the shaft. You also know from highschool biology that oils are made of hydrophobic molecules-- which means they repel water and don't mix with it. Placing oil on the strand puts a mini moisture barrier up. If your hair isn't properly moisturized before the barrier goes on, you can expect dryness to creep in over time. Oils do soften the hair and make it more pliable, so it may seem that oils are getting your moisturized. But moisturization= hydration and chemically speaking oils can't provide that on their own.

But most importantly, you must experiment! Thats the fun part.:D

Great post! Just one question to clear my oil confusion.

Why are hot oil treatments recommended for moisture if oils don't permeate hair ?

Sistaslick

Synthia said:
Great post! Just one question to clear my oil confusion.

Why are hot oil treatments recommended for moisture if oils don't permeate hair ?

I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.:ohwell: I do know the heat supposedly helps the oil spenetrate-- but even here I am skeptical. Now, essential oils are small enough to penetrate and be absorbed into the hair and skin-- but regular oils...uh uh. Even with essential oils, there is often a heavier carrier oil used that would still make the solution act as sealant.

It seems that what hot oil treatments are really doing is increasing the hair's pliability and softness--- the feeling of being moisturized. But oils cannot offer moisture to hair.

RabiaElaine

Wow Sistaslick and Pokahonts...that was the kind of education i needed on the topic. I need to reread then I may have some questions for you.

HoneyDew

Sistaslick said:
I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.:ohwell: I do know the heat supposedly helps the oil spenetrate-- but even here I am skeptical. Now, essential oils are small enough to penetrate and be absorbed into the hair and skin-- but regular oils...uh uh. Even with essential oils, there is often a heavier carrier oil used that would still make the solution act as sealant.

It seems that what hot oil treatments are really doing is increasing the hair's pliability and softness--- the feeling of being moisturized. But oils cannot offer moisture to hair.

I have actually wondered about this, as well. I give myself a couple of hot oil treatments and they seemed to just SIT on my hair. i did not like it actually.

Chromia

ITA with Pokahontas and Sistaslick about oils, mineral oil, and petrolatum. I use jojoba oil on top of my moisturizer to seal it in.

RabiaElaine

Question if you apply a moisturizer leave in like NTM Silk Touch as a daily moisturizer and seal in with WGO or some other oil...when you go to apply the leave in again the next day, doesn't that mean the moisturizer won't be able to get through since the oil from the day before has sealed the strand??

I hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks for all of your replies thus far, they have been really useful.

Sistaslick

I've wondered this too girl. My mind has been churning on this issue for the longest :lol: So far, this is what I've come up with...from what I've seen and experienced, the sealing effects of most natural oils are only temporary. They are not a permanent "seal" and they do wear off in time. Exposure to air and just daily wear tends to dry them out. How fast depends on the amount used and the consistency of the oil. Heavier oils will seal the strand longer. They are important because though air can dry them out too, they last longer and stand a better chance of remaining on the hair than a moisturizer on its own would.

The "seal" that I create with my oil products seems to wear off within 24 hrs, so my hair requires moisture and sealing each new day. I wash every 3 days, so this cycle works well for me. Some people can moisturize and seal and have results that last much longer. My hair is relaxed and permanently color treated, so that may have something to do with it.

Ladylynn

RabiaElaine said:
Question if you apply a moisturizer leave in like NTM Silk Touch as a daily moisturizer and seal in with WGO or some other oil...when you go to apply the leave in again the next day, doesn't that mean the moisturizer won't be able to get through since the oil from the day before has sealed the strand??

I hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks for all of your replies thus far, they have been really useful.

I'm glad you asked this, because I have been wondering the same thing for a while. That's why I normally moisturize at night. I first dampen my hair with water, apply NTM creamy leave in, then seal with oil. In the morning my hair is nice and soft. I do this nightly. I think reapplying the water nightly helps break through the moisture to start again. :perplexed I guess. Oh well, it works for me.

RabiaElaine

Sistaslick said:
I've wondered this too girl. My mind has been churning on this issue for the longest :lol: So far, this is what I've come up with...from what I've seen and experienced, the sealing effects of most natural oils are only temporary. They are not a permanent "seal" and they do wear off in time. Exposure to air and just daily wear tends to dry them out. How fast depends on the amount used and the consistency of the oil. Heavier oils will seal the strand longer. They are important because though air can dry them out too, they last longer and stand a better chance of remaining on the hair than a moisturizer on its own would.

The "seal" that I create with my oil products seems to wear off within 24 hrs, so my hair requires moisture and sealing each new day. I wash every 3 days, so this cycle works well for me. Some people can moisturize and seal and have results that last much longer. My hair is relaxed and permanently color treated, so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks for clarifying that for me sistaslick!! I was thinking about a little more last night, and I was thinking the same thing.