Protective Styling Advice

htown2DAboot

Can someone please give an idea on what to do? After receiving a pretty good growth spurt within 7 weeks from my last relaxer, my hair has grown from chin length to neck length...I'm transitioning and thought it'd be a good idea to get tree braids in a little over two weeks (the cornrow kind...my hair seems to grow the fastest in cornrows)...But until then I need to find some protective styles...My hair is cut in layers all the way around my head...I would try and put it in a bun, but the sides and some of the top aren't even (of course)...the problem is that my hair is starting to touch the collars of my shirts...And we all know the rubbing is not a good thing! So what to do? Sitting under a dryer is out (it takes two hours to dry my thickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk hair...and it's too hot for all that), and when I air dry a roller set...it looks a HAM, and my hair is never dry all the way through! H-E-L-P!

shetara20

OMGosh!!!! I have the same problem for real!!!! My hair is the about the same length and in layers. I can still put it in a tiny ponytail about 1 inch long but its starting to bug me!!!!! I need advice too! Hurry ladies need HELP!!!!

bermudabeauty

I now have shoulder length and my hair is cut in layers. So I do understand what your going through. Feel free to stalk my fotki for protective style ideas I have quite a few. Any questions...feel free to PM me.:think:

prospurr4

Can someone please give an idea on what to do? After receiving a pretty good growth spurt within 7 weeks from my last relaxer, my hair has grown from chin length to neck length...I'm transitioning and thought it'd be a good idea to get tree braids in a little over two weeks (the cornrow kind...my hair seems to grow the fastest in cornrows)...But until then I need to find some protective styles...My hair is cut in layers all the way around my head...I would try and put it in a bun, but the sides and some of the top aren't even (of course)...the problem is that my hair is starting to touch the collars of my shirts...And we all know the rubbing is not a good thing! So what to do? Sitting under a dryer is out (it takes two hours to dry my thickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk hair...and it's too hot for all that), and when I air dry a roller set...it looks a HAM, and my hair is never dry all the way through! H-E-L-P!

First of all, congrats on the growth spurt! I think rollersetting is a great idea to keep your ends protected and off clothing...that's how I got over the neck length and shoulder length humps.:yep: However, concerning the bolded, maybe you could try sitting under the dryer for a shorter amount of time (like 45 minutes), then allow your hair to finish airdrying. This is what I do.

Hope this helps.

htown2DAboot

You feel me Shetara? I'm like man...I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! Thanks Prospurr and Beauty for your advice...Beauty...I don't know the first thing about phony ponys (I saw one in your fotki)...School me (you too Prospurr) on them please? Cause that would be an really inexpensive way to make it through the two weeks...and even after I take down my tree braids...Thanks!

shetara20

You feel me Shetara? I'm like man...I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! Thanks Prospurr and Beauty for your advice...Beauty...I don't know the first thing about phony ponys (I saw one in your fotki)...School me (you too Prospurr) on them please? Cause that would be an really inexpensive way to make it through the two weeks...and even after I take down my tree braids...Thanks!

Trust me. I feel u. I got my hair cut and layered last summer because of breakage. now that my layers arestill here but still growing, its hard for me to put my hair in a bun I am NL and going for a solid blunt SL!!! I only way I can tame my layers is to brush them back until they stay and i still ahve pin them down at times!!!!!its crazy!!!!!

collegeDoll

you can try a sew-in. phonie ponies are good too but a lot of gels ppl use have alcohol. i like IC gel w./ sparklites. and making sure that you move the position of you natural hair bun under the pony is good. i used to use alcohol gel, and comb my hair it the same position everyday without washin and moisturizing frequently and my hair was a MESS