Protective Styles And Growth

Which protective style resulted in the most growth?

• Total voters

MCMLXXXIV

Have you ever noticed significant growth from any protective style? If yes, which one?

I created a poll to help but please include any not listed.

GGsKin

I kept my hair in small (not micro) braids with human hair for a 18 months, re-doing the them individually as my hair grew so as to avoid breakage/ lint deposits. I retained all of my growth for those 18 months. Taking me from about ear length, to APL. Neither my hairline or density were compromised. Best retention yet.

I did box braids and marley twists and crochet braids, all with with synthetic hair, throughout my two year transition but the growth wasn't as noticeable or as fast.

My hair retained length well with weaves (I've had two full sew-ins in my life). But I kept them in for like three or four months at a time and takedown was a thing of nightmares- it just was not for me.

Right now I am seeing how well I can retain my growth while enjoying regular wng and clipping it up (at least throughout winter). I don't bun, but I see this as 'my' wet bunning- although my ends are not hidden away.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Medium sized twists pinned up in a bun. Although as long as my ends are tucked away and my hair is stretched it seems to do fine.

Aggie

Wigs work absolutely best for me. My hair's length is retained plus my hair feels denser. Additionally, because my hair is well moisturized and plait under the wigs, I don't get SSKs and split ends like I did when I wore it in braids.

For the past 6 weeks, I've been putting my hair in about 10/12 single braids with my own hair. I use a big velvet scrunchie for ponytails, buns or I just braid them all together and use clip em up.

I've gone from washing every week to every 2 weeks with a water rinse at around day 7. I then redo the bad ones and go about my business for another week. I randomly spritz with aphogee green tea, infusion23 leave in and oiling my scalp and ends. Done.

Best growth I've seen thus far in my journey. Lazy hair care seems to work well for me.

Rastafarai

Twisting my own hair. I tried sew-ins but my scalp itches profusely if it can't breathe. I can also maintain the twists at weeks at a time and prefer pampering my own hair.

Kinky4Agirl

I notice lots of growth when I wear a pony tail with a scrunchy all week and then wash and deep condition on the weekends. This style allows me to have low manipulation all week and still have the benefits of my regimen.