What is the number one Protective style of all time?

cocosweet

For the longest time, my favorite protective style was twists but now I've come to appreciate the bun.

At this moment, I have medium sized twists pulled into a bun. I have access to my scalp for washing and applying growth aids and I get to protect my ends. Winning!

EclecticMaybe

This wasn't mentioned but currently crochet braids are my favorite protective style. I've been wearing crochets since September of '10 and I've retained every inch of growth thus far. I'll probably continue with the style until the end of this year or whenever I get bored. The ease of not having to restyle my hair weekly yet have enough access to wash, condition and moisturize is working out great for now. But I have my moments where I miss my curls.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
For Me, it has been Wigs. M-F 9:00 - 5:00

Never a "Bad" Hair Day and it gives me the ability to Moisturize & Seal underneath.

Yeah....There's alot going on under My Wig!:lol:

davisbr88

I'd have to go with Senegalese twists.
Hell getting them put in, but 3 months of super convenience and super retention for me.
The only reason I don't do them anymore is because I can't do them myself and the girl I had do them for me is 2 hours away, and I just hate having to sit through the install (I'm tender-headed). But the two times I had them, it was SO worth it.

KurlyNinja

WIGS!!! I'll probably bun later on in my HHJ once I get some real length. The one thing transitioning has taught me is that is no joke trying to get your hair into a ponytail when its natural.

Gleek

I like the southern tease type bun but I use a goody spin pin or regular Bobby type pins to hold it together. No tension. I'll usually do it after a twist out so that it will dry stretched. I like it better than wet buns because I don have to wait for my hair to dry, and it's just less manipulation for me. I'm transitioning if that matters.

KurlyNinja

I said wigs before, but that was before I saw Ateyaa's video. I'm going to have to go with wigs over weave because it doesn't get much more protective than that. :lol:

Jewell

I'd say buns because they really can be done by just about anyone. Wigs are great too, but not all women like the idea of wigs or "fake" hair. The bun, tucked pony, or loose updo is a unversal and easy style that can be dressed up or down.

For me, both wigs and buns are abt equal in terms of which I use (I use wigs Sept-Feb, and buns or loose twisted updos the rest of the year when it's too warm here for wigs IMO (Mar-Aug)--I can't stand sweating under a wig, but some ladies wear 'em year 'round in the South no prob. This hair is too thick...even when braided down, I just CAN'T do the wigs in summer.:nono:

Right now I'm in a the "grow out" phase, otherwise I could use my hair sticks to secure my buns instead of ouchless elastics...[SIGH] can't wait til I'm at least BSL. I also love braids w/extensions as a PS, but the install and takedown time deter me from getting them too often. :ohwell:

Last edited: