Pressing comb users

serena

Does the shape of a hot comb's teeth (straight or curved) make any difference in the pressing process? I figure you'd probably get the same end results, but does the shape of the teeth make any difference while you'[re actually pulling the comb through?

WaterMoccasin

It doesn't matter to me because I only use the back of the comb...I guess it would be better to have straight as opposed to curved because I don't want to inadvertently pull the teeth through my hair while using the back...

joyous

I think it makes a difference. I always get a better press with a curved comb. It makes my hair silkier.

Marseeya

I have both types and I prefer the straight teeth, I find I snag more with the curve to my surprise, and I use a little oil, I mean very little and a bit of creme press; my hair comes out very silky and non greasy feeling. I only press once a month. the week of my press i dont conditioner wash only apply vaseline and conditioner to my ends and wear in a protective bun that week.

Marseeya

Ultra Sheen...its in a yellow and white jar.. i would put up a pic..but i dont know how

G

Okay, I've heard of that..does it work at holding your press a long time?

serena

[ QUOTE ]
Marseeya said:
I have both types and I prefer the straight teeth, I find I snag more with the curve to my surprise

[/ QUOTE ]

The snagging is exactly what I was getting at. My straight toothed comb snags my hair, and I was wondering whether one with curved teeth wouldn't snag less. But maybe it's because I've only used the comb on unwashed hair, without pressing oil (just experimenting to get an idea of what pressing my own hair would entail). Do you think that having freshly shampooed, clean hair free of dirt and product build up helps the comb to snag less, particularly with a good pressing oil, Marseeya?

G

Even though you didn't ask me, it is always best to press hair when it is clean..my mother told me that pressing dirty or unclean hair is a big no no-your hair literally comes out in the comb. Now touching up already pressed hair is fine to a certain extent....

serena

Natori: I don't have enough natural hair to do a real press right now. I was messing around with my new growth, trying to get an idea of what it'd be like to press my own hair when/if I go natural, so I didn't bother to shampoo my hair nor buy a real pressing oil.
But the next time I experiment, I'll try to do it on clean hair and see if that makes a difference.

Marseeya

Hi
yes, I would say please do wash and deep condition the hair first... while the hair is damp apply the creme satin press, air dry or blow dry on cool..it takes longer but you will soon be pressing so the less heat from blowing dry the better

serena

Thanks, Marseeya. Don't worry - I haven't blow dried my hair in over two years. I would prefer to air dry my hair if I'm going to be following up with a press. I've always found blow drying to be too much tugging on my hair, all questions of heat apart.

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
Marseeya said:
Ultra Sheen...its in a yellow and white jar.. i would put up a pic..but i dont know how

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this what you use?

[image]http://store6.yimg.com/I/ebonyline51_1762_2473405[/image]

Marseeya

yes that is what i use but in the very large size, but yup its the ultra sheen creme satin press, good stuff

serena

[ QUOTE ]
BahamaMama said:
It doesn't matter to me because I only use the back of the comb...I guess it would be better to have straight as opposed to curved because I don't want to inadvertently pull the teeth through my hair while using the back...

[/ QUOTE ]

BM: It just struck me - do you mean that you don't let the teeth of the comb come into contact with your hair at all? You don't sink the teeth into the hair, then twist your wrist/the comb to let the bar of the comb do the pressing...instead, you just run the bar of the comb along your hair?

serena

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
Wouldn't a flatiron be easier to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea: I've never pressed nor flat ironed my own hair. I intend to give both instruments a try, though.

Marseeya

well a flatiron could never straighten the new growth properly for me that is why I prefer pressing it just pressing closer to the scalp in my opinion and experience and I've pressed on and off for many many years.

happylocks

Hello I press too, I have not used a flat iron , but I comb, My family add toooo much oil or grease
, I have tried that brand but I have not use that one yet, how many times do u experiment? to see how it affects ur hair, it it once a month or a week? or more often thanks

ADB

Hi, I had been getting my hair pressed forever. I just had my very first relaxer last month. I found that my hair would get straighter with the pressing comb that had the teeth closer together. It's a professional pressing comb. When I used the wide tooth comb it wouldn't get as silky. I also noticed that my hair pressed better with pressing grease.

yorkpatties

Didn't know folk were still using pressing combs...then I realized this was bumped from 2003! I'm from the old school where my mom pressed my hair with the comb on the kitchen stove with sulfur 8. And then I'd wonder why my ponytail was as thin as a pencil. SMH.

Can't wait to see what responses this gets.

faithVA

So why was this thread bumped? Did someone want to know about the teeth of the comb or about something else?