Pressing Comb / Hot Comb Users -- What Size (Teeth) Do You Recommend?

Which pressing comb gives the best press?

• Coarse

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Fine

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Double fine

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

MJ

I'm looking to buy a pressing comb (hot comb) online, and I'm not certain as to which size would give the best results for my hair (4a/b). I see that there are coarse, fine, and double fine teeth sizes. Which do you recommend and why?

Also, does it matter if the comb is medium or heavyweight?

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think that the finer the teeth the straighter your hair would come out. Bumping because I also need to buy a straightening comb and I'm not sure.

Oh and by heavyweight do you mean the size? If so I think a heavyweight comb would be harder to manage with so the lighter and smaller would probably be better. HTH

ebzonix

I always saw them as the finer the straighter the hair turns out, but the more fine tooth detangling you'd have to do.

jerjer29

my mom got a fine tooth hot comb, i'd say the finest available and i didn't like it. Because my new growth was really frizzy..and isn't everyone's despite how much detangle you do before hand? Basically when my mom would comb it through my hair we'd see a lot of little hair's still stuck in the comb. i personally think the finer the comb doesn't mean the straighter the hair because my stylist used one that WASNT so fine and my hair came out better. Because if your new growth isn't so manageable, and is really thick and you can get the comb through the hair fast enough you'll end up burning your hair.

Last edited:

MJ

Great response ladies. Thank you. I was leaning towards the finer teeth, but now I'm reconsidering.

MJ

Oh and by heavyweight do you mean the size? If so I think a heavyweight comb would be harder to manage with so the lighter and smaller would probably be better. HTH

I'm not sure if it's the size of the comb or simply the weight. Maybe someone will have the answer.

PinkSkates

My hair is 4a medium density, and I use the fine teeth for my hairline and my larger hot comb for the rest of my hair. The smaller teeth get my edges super straight with one swipe of the hot comb.

NGraceO

Great thread OP, I had been thinking this question but never got around to asking it. Pinkskates- glad you chmed in-- ur presses are BOMB! I can't wait to get a press like I've seenin ur fotki!! Oh, and what brand do you all reccommend?!?

PinkSkates

Originally posted by Nnelove
Great thread OP, I had been thinking this question but never got around to asking it. Pinkskates- glad you chmed in-- ur presses are BOMB! I can't wait to get a press like I've seenin ur fotki!! Oh, and what brand do you all reccommend?!?

Thank you Nnelove!...I use the brand "Kizure" they're black owned and their combs are very sturdy.
And be sure to try and not drop your hot combs. Because once the teeth get crooked, they will snag your hair and pull it out.

sydwrites

I've only used one a few times, but my stylist definately used the small teeth for my edges even when she flat-ironed the rest. IA that using the smaller teeth means that you have to make sure your hair is very detangled first. Most people say its all about the back of the comb anyway as you go down. HTH

MJ

Thanks ladies. I've decided to buy one of each: a coarse teeth and a fine teeth for the edges.

Blessed_Angel

I would say the finest comb you could get. I've tried both, and my hair came out much straighter with the finer tooth comb. I have 4a/b hair, and my hair ALWAYS looked like I had a relaxer with that comb! I used the little comb to perfect my edges and nape.

BTW, I am relaxed now, but this is what I used when I was natural and pressed my hair years ago.

(Not sure if this fine or double fine, please let me know. TIA)